Which players from the U-20s will "make it?"

FigoIsGod

Which guys from our U-20 team at the recent World Cup have a future with our full national team?

There are the obvious ones like Peters, Begovic, Edgar, etc. but who else?

I'm curious to hear some opinions.

Here's the roster, by the way:

Goalkeepers: Asmir Begovic, David Monsalve, Zach Kalthoff.

Defenders: Nana Attakora-Gyan, Kent O'Connor, David Edgar, Marcus Haber, Stephen Lumley, Kennedy Owusu-Ansah, Olivier Lacoste-Lebuis.

Midfielders: Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault, Jaime Peters, Keegan Ayre, Cristian Nunez, Gabe Gala, Michael D'Agostino, Simeon Jackson.

Forwards: Andrea Lombardo, Will Johnson, Tosaint Ricketts, Alex Elliott.

Guest Jeffery S.

For me its Asmir Begovic, Kennedy Owusu-Ansah, and Beaulieu-Bourgault. Real talent, and talent that can grow.

Will Johnson looks like he'll have a solid pro career.

There are a lot of things I don't like about Edgar, frankly I don't feel great about his future. Peters blew it when he opted to get playing time at Ipswich instead of developing at a top EPL club. Very stupid move, wrong philosophy. He'd be twice as good now playing in the youth or reserves at Chelsea or Man Utd.

Begovic, Edgar, Johnson, Peters, Lombardo, JBB, KOA, and Gabe Gala are the ones that spring to mind. Not saying that they are all going to be stars, but I can see them all getting some caps. Of course of a few of those players already have a bunch under their belt. Something concerns me a bit is that after the current generation of strikers between 24 & 26 (Ademolu, Friend, Gerba, Hume, Occean) we don't have any notable strikers except for a 20 year old who is currently struggling with too many expectations placed on him at TFC. I'd like to see Simeon Jackson get the hell out of the conference level soon.

Maybe add Lecoste-Lebuis to the list when I get to see him a bit more. He was the one graduate from the U17 team to move immediately to the U20 team & is in a good system with a French club. But then that once happened to Wyn Belotte too, so you can never quite tell at that early an age, though it does look promising. And Monsalve may develop through TFC, he showed some promise in his one league start, considering he's just 18.

That's not to say I am writing everyone else off - but at the same time it's unlikely that everyone on the team will make the jump.

I'm not sure if I agree. Ipswich has a very good development system. There is a common misconception that only the biggest clubs provide the best development opportunities. I don't think that is always true.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Peters blew it when he opted to get playing time at Ipswich instead of developing at a top EPL club. Very stupid move, wrong philosophy. He'd be twice as good now playing in the youth or reserves at Chelsea or Man Utd.

For me unfortunately not many from this squad. Sure a poor showing in the last under 20 did not help anyone to advance, but I have said it before when a player plays more games for his country then his team in a year you cannot expect him to mature properly some of these guys are over rated, playing to high of a level and should consider playing down a level or two so that they can mature, by they amount of minutes the play in the season, to gain that experience and respect they deserve.

A mentor of mine once said "Judge not the player who signs for a club and sits on the bench, but look out for the ones that want to Judged by playing first, as a starter, at the highest level he is offered ". an he further continues "And those are the ones that will be Judged by both the club he plays and also the public that watches him." They both will determine a movement forward or backwards in the career.

Minutes = experience

Experience = progress either moving forward or backwards.

I ask, who you think is playing the most from this list, in a years work and what do you think his progress is. Is that player moving forward or backwards in your opinion based on the minutes he plays.

or is he simply a bench warmer and should drop down a level or two.

In addition to those who have been mentioned, I think Ricketts will be a fairly sought after recruit in MLS, so he's got a shot at becoming someone special.

I think Gala will be a fringe player for MNT, and probably grab a cap here and there a la Braz and Reda.

Lombardo still has a shot, despite all his struggles, because he plays consistently at a decent level of competition, is a genuine target-man-type, and is the only Canadian striker in NA who plays at his level.

Jackson is the best example of someone making a terrible choice in favour of playing time over development. For example, he would be a top notch development player in MLS.

Its always difficult to tell whether they will develop or not. For example, who would have thought Rob Friend would become one of our best strikers. In fact, when you look at the current senior side, there are quite a few who did not even play U-20 (eg. Occean, Gerba, Imoff, McKenna, Hirschfeld, Sutton, Brennan, Jazic and perhaps a few others). So there may be players like Lamme, Babineau, Leslie, Ba, and D'I Ioia that develop into national teamers in 3 or 4 years; whereas Peters, Johnson, Edgar fade away to the fringes.

That is why its important that we develop 3 MLS sides and 5 or 6 USL 1 sides, all with academies. It will give us 20 or 30 players at each age, playing at a high level. That way, when one budding star blows up, chances are you will have 1 or 2 others that develop later and make it.

Begovic is our goalie of the future. Edgar and Peeters have too much talent to be ignored and as long as their development continues they will be in our squad. Other than that I don't know, Johnson is a solid player and may develop into a roll player but I dont know.

I still remember Bob Lenarduzzi, as a Sportsnet commentator during the 2001 WYC, saying that Rob Friend would never make it to the national team. I think that's a lesson not to try to pass final judgment on these players' potential at this early stage of their careers. Some will be late bloomers for sure.

Who would have thought during the 2001 WYC that Friend would now be a national team regular and Terry Dunfield (who at that point had been on the field in a Premiership match with Man City and was considered a blue chip prospect) would be toiling in the English lower leagues and nowhere near the national team?

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by MikeD

I still remember Bob Lenarduzzi, as a Sportsnet commentator during the 2001 WYC, saying that Rob Friend would never make it to the national team. I think that's a lesson not to try to pass final judgment on these players' potential at this early stage of their careers. Some will be late bloomers for sure.

Who would have thought during the 2001 WYC that Friend would now be a national team regular and Terry Dunfield (who at that point had been on the field in a Premiership match with Man City and was considered a blue chip prospect) would be toiling in the English lower leagues and nowhere near the national team?

Bingo.

And why do so many, all, of the clubs in Europe give short trials to players? Cause they only have some idea who can play and recognize that there is a lot of trial and error in success.

This is why I don't lend to much blame to the CSA coach XXXX who cut someone when they were 12. And is supposed to pay for it the rest of his life cause that player did well 8 years later.

If it is educated guess work and trial and error for the big clubs in Europe.... then we can only wait and see really.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

For me its Asmir Begovic, Kennedy Owusu-Ansah, and Beaulieu-Bourgault. Real talent, and talent that can grow.

Will Johnson looks like he'll have a solid pro career.

There are a lot of things I don't like about Edgar, frankly I don't feel great about his future. Peters blew it when he opted to get playing time at Ipswich instead of developing at a top EPL club. Very stupid move, wrong philosophy. He'd be twice as good now playing in the youth or reserves at Chelsea or Man Utd.

I agree with with everything you stated except your point on Johnson.

One encouraging note about Lombardo's Prospects. Because of the injury mess with TFC he is getting a ton of playing time and patients from the coaching staff and that is bound to pay off enventually for his career development. Luckily for him he is in an environment that favours his nationality whereas if he were abroad (instead of with TFC) his scoreless drought would have meant a release a long time ago.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Luckily for him he is in an environment that favours his nationality whereas if he were abroad (instead of with TFC) his scoreless drought would have meant a release a long time ago.

That's true - but having said that, TFC seem content thus far to keep the non-scoring non-Canadians on the roster as well (ie. Samuel, who unlike Lombardo, is well past the "prospect" or "development" stage at age 26).

I think Begovic is a lock to be one of our keepers in the future. No other U20 stood out under pressure this summer.

I have high expectations of Lombardo down the road. He has some qualities that intrigue me, that we typically don't see in Cdn strikers.

Jury is out on all others.

I agree Lombardo has a opportuntiy to capitalize, due to the injuries to TFC. He is getting lots of playing time and surely will come thru with his scoring touch and I hope soon. He is long over due and regardless he is still young, for me he is still an exciting player to watch, and reminds me of Luca Toni in his younger days. Trust me you want a player of this caliber very close to you on a field and let maturity and the experience set in, then watch! Playing time is important for his devolepment and he is getting that. I would think that TFC is aware of that and his tremendous future ahead of him of one of Canadians best striker is without question.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think Begovic is a lock to be one of our keepers in the future. No other U20 stood out under pressure this summer.

I have high expectations of Lombardo down the road. He has some qualities that intrigue me, that we typically don't see in Cdn strikers.

Jury is out on all others.

Agreed 100 %. Begovic seems well on his way to a solid pro career given his play last year at Macclesfield, and this year at Bournemouth.

I thought Lombardo played a great game on Saturday, finishing aside, and was disappointed to see him subbed out instead of Samuel. As many have said, the playing time he is currently getting with TFC should eventually pay off.

Lombardo works hard, and I respect that a lot. But where's the finish? Isn't finishing something you either have or you don't. Gerba has scored at every level. Hume has scored at every level. I'd give these guys a good finishing rating. I know I've seen Andrea pot a couple with the U20, but relative to the number of chances he's had it makes you wonder. I don't know much about his club career, but I don't recall hearing about a lot of goals (unlike Uccello for example).

First and foremost it's gotta be Begovic. KOA should have a belief in himself to develop very nicely. I also think D'Agostino should have a good future - he was very impressive coming off the bench against Brazil back @ Swangard. Nor can you overlook Edgar or Peters...other than that, it really is a crapshoot - although considering the blooding Lombardo is receiving could prove very beneficial.

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah, David Edgar and Will Johnson are locks to progress IMO. Begovic has a really good chance as well. Haber, Lacoste-Lebuis have a good shot too, but their youth adds an element of doubt. I know KOA is as young as them more or less, but I think he has the royal jelly, so my doubts are not as pronounced.

OL-L and KOA have the most potential of the lot, and Edgar is the closest.

Peters, I suppose, has already "made it" but I think he has a whole lot more to do in order to advance form potential and situational value to a regular first choice pick.

from that list. the obvious two are

begovic and edgar

Peters I think is going to get stuck playing in the second division. Unles his teams get promoted.

Others may be Tosaint Ricketts ,Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault .. but i think this is a long shot

Lombardo???? nahh, I seen him play at different levels and I was never impressed. I think he should of stay in italy and develop more.

However impossible is nothing :)

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Everyone seems to be enamoured by Begovic, but he has been shaky as best in the past few years.

Totally agree. I haven't been impress by Begovic during this summer WC. OK he made 2 nice saves in the tournament but he didn't looked as good as he was suppose to be. Just like pretty much all the "stars" in that team, Begovic didn't lived up to the expectations.

I still think he could have a future, but he's far from being #1 or 2 with our MNT.

KOA has definite talent and I'm looking forward to see him in 2 yrs, at that time we'll know more about his capabilities at the next level. The same apply for OLL.

I think Johnson, Edgar and Peters could be MNT material if they can get some regular first team action with their clubs this year.

I'm also curious to see how D'Agostino does with Blackpool, he's a mystery player to me (like what I saw but didn't see enough...).

In the end, the future of all those players depends on how they do in the next 2-3 yrs with their clubs much more than how they did in 3 games this summer.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

I still remember Bob Lenarduzzi, as a Sportsnet commentator during the 2001 WYC, saying that Rob Friend would never make it to the national team.

But, to be fair, I dont believe that those were his exact words. The mention of Rob Friend's potential as a player came up as a reference for comparaison when discussing the qualities and athleticism of Wyn belotte. And, I am sure that you'll agree, there is little disputing the fact that ( at times) Belotte showed immense potential as a youth level player.

When taken in that context Lennarduzzi's comments were not all that off base. IMO the jury is still out on Rob Friend. Furthmore, the reason we are having this discussion right now has more to do with the depth at the fwd position on the MNT than Freind's qualities as a fwd. He is in mid career right now and he is more of known quantity. Had Belotte shown the same level of committement and dedication to his craft, maybe made a few more fortunate decisions in his career, would we be laughing a Bob lennarduzzi's comments today?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But, to be fair, I dont believe that those were his exact words.

I think his exact words were "It's difficult to see Rob Friend ever playing for the national team" - he did compare him to Belotte, but that's beside the point really, he singled Friend out. Friend's been capped by our national team enough times that I think we can conclude that Lenarduzzi was totally off-base with his prediction.

Archived