CSA mulls severance package for Nykamp

Massive Attack

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if I may offer my .02....

Canadian Soccer Supporters United (CSSU) continues to be <s>frustrated</s> troubled by the lack of <s>professional leadership</s> business acumen at the Canadian Soccer Association.

Just days after organizing the successful Black Wednesday protest at the National Soccer Stadium, CSSU has learned that the Board of Directors of the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) is <s>will be offering </s> negotiating a severance package offer to Mr. Fred Nykamp, formerly the CEO of Basketball Canada, because they refuse to ratify the employment contract he was offered to become the new CEO of the CSA.

"How many more examples of the CSA's incompetence do we need before something is done," Rossi asked.

How about This is just one more example of the Board's ineptitude; how many other issues are we not aware of, and at what point in time do we say, "enough is enough", before something is done.

...or something similar????

The CSSU <s>is calling for an independent review of </s> will be requesting the CSA to participate in open and independent Town Hall like meetings (a series of Soccer Suimmits), with a concurrent request to each Provincial Branch in order to review the CSA’s organizational structure, with the goal of creating a more professional, efficient and accountable environment at the CSA. If the current CSA administration is unwilling to change its way of operation, the CSSU is asking that it be disbanded and replaced with a new organization, as was done in Australia only six years ago.

do as you wish gentlemen - fine work... thanks for the opportunity.

Agreed.

But a series of Summit like meetings can be arranged in such a way that limits who the participants are.

I don't want to sit and listen to somebody who isn't informed, nor willing to address issues that benefit the majority rather than the minority.

Let's face it, getting the MNT to South Africa triggers a multi-million $$$ winfall (transfer payments) for the Association.

a series of summits lets the CSA off the hook. This is a typical political move to direct attention away for your own inadequacy. Politicians like to hold inquiries when the political heat is on them which just takes the heat off of them. The same thing with the CSA, a series of town hall meetings would do the same thing.

Best thing is to have an independent inquiry into the CSA and whether it is the proper structure for elite athlete development.

I thought the press release was fine the way it was drafted.

Squid, I think I prefer the idea of an independant review because it is more expedient.

While I'm not the world's biggest fan of management consultants, I think in this case an independant auditor is needed. We need someone to throw open the books, look at how things have been done, consider the opinions of all stakeholders, compare how Canadian soccer is organized to how more successful sports organizations are run and then make recommendations for change.

However, I have incorporated some of your other suggested changes and emailed a revised draft to Media Guy for his review. Thank you for the input...it's appreciated.

What's odd to me is that Canada was "invited" to host this Women's Olympic qualifying tourney. Usually international tournaments like this are bid for, in this case Concacaf seems like they are begging for someone to host it. I wonder if it is a case of nobody wanting it because they know they will lose money on it. After all, the CSA (according to Linford) lost money hosting the U19 tourney despite huge crowds because ticket prices were dirt cheap.

In the proposed release, how about asking/demanding what the reasons are for turning down the invitation? If the reason is because the CSA wants to spend more money in its 2008 budget on friendlies for the men's national team, then frankly I'm all for it. After all, priority for the men's team getting to the World Cup is what we wanted, wasn't it? It would be nice to host the tourney, don't get me wrong. But hardly necessary for the Canadian women to qualify for the Olympics. Not out of this region

Now if the reason's have nothing to do with saving money & prioritizing for the 2010 WC, then that's another story.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think the release should emphasize a few more general facts that for anyone in the press would be particularly alarming. I am referring to the non-naming of an interim president, the lack of a technical director, and no movement on the hiring of a new CEO, which of course could be done while negotiating severance with the outgoing Nykamp. There is no reason to wait.

As for the suggestion of town-hall type meetings, of course I agree with the idea as I was one of the people suggesting it, but in a press release you have to be careful about anticipating events you are not sure when nor how will happen (and there is a lot of work involved in doing them well). Better not to make promises that then become tough to keep; when the time comes, if and when such events get underway, they can be announced to the press.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think the release should emphasize a few more general facts that for anyone in the press would be particularly alarming. I am referring to the non-naming of an interim president, the lack of a technical director, and no movement on the hiring of a new CEO, which of course could be done while negotiating severance with the outgoing Nykamp. There is no reason to wait.

If it's not too late, I will have your suggestion added to the press release.

Thanks for the input

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

personally, if they were going to allow the new CEO to work from home, and have an office at BMO field (not part of the CSA in Ottawa), I can see why the Board had problems with that. You can't build an organisation working from your house...that;s just ridiculous

What CSA in Ottawa? There is not such a thing as CSA in Ottawa. They are all hiding in there own cities and eventually show up in Ottawa for meeting and free food and drinks.

personally, if they were going to allow the new CEO to work from home, and have an office at BMO field (not part of the CSA in Ottawa), I can see why the Board had problems with that. You can't build an organisation working from your house...that;s just ridiculous

In this day and age, I would say that your statement is ludicrous.

The Board lives in 10 different provinces and 2 territories. They find a way to stay in touch. I don't think it is too difficult to envision a scenario whereby Nykamp would work out of Ottawa at times but also work out of Toronto at times. He clearly did not want to displace his family but that does not mean that we would never show his face in Ottawa. Let's give these people some credit for not being totally braindead.

The Board is spread over 10 provs/2 territories. The staff is not. You deal with the Board via a meeting periodically and then via phone calls in between. You should be dealing with your staff on a day to day basis face to face.

No serious company would allow their CEO to work from home or in an office out side of the main one (in this day in age or otherwise).

Word on the street is that Linford was told in writing that he did not have the power on his own to hire Nykamp and not to go ahead with the press conference of his hiring until the board had approved his contract....the problems with Nykamp's contract was not money, but rather the power he would have and the new limited power the board would have...of course the old boys club would have nothing of that so they voted down the hiring of Nykamp.....of course one quick call by Nykamp to his lawyer and the CSA has to pay him out because if it ever went to court the CSA would probably have to pay a hell of a lot more.

New to this board, but I am also very worried about the state of soccer in this country.

I remember that cold day in at King George V park in St John's Newfoundland when we beat

Honduras to go to the World Cup. We ran on the pitch after the game, i was 15 yrs old.

I was never so proud. All I remember is how cold the Hondurans where. All with glovers and touques. Talk about home field advantage. LOL

Sorry about the trip down memory lane. My 2 cents

(1) Has there been any letter writing campeign to Sport Canada? I have found that if you bug government long enough they will listen.

(2) Fax campeign to the CSA. This is an effective technique I have used previously, jamming the fax line continiously. It could be as simple as one page, resign. They usually

unplug there machine after a few days.

(3) A day of protest to coinside the date they pick the new president. Complete with a media release and some sort of an across the country coorintated Day of Action. When they meet to crown a new king or Queen we scream.

(4) Our women's team is in tough. They have to Beat Australia to advance, and I really hope they catch lightening in a bottle. But if they don't advance, it's more fuel to the fire around a system that does not work. In any case the Women's coach is fustrated, any why we would turn down the Womens CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament is beyond words. Lets use that.

I really think the day they pick the president is key. They are being kind of vague on it. It could be at 1 of 2 meetings????

I'm certain they would like to do it under the radar, in secret, no bother, no explanation, lets not let it happen.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

In this day and age, I would say that your statement is ludicrous.

The Board lives in 10 different provinces and 2 territories. They find a way to stay in touch. I don't think it is too difficult to envision a scenario whereby Nykamp would work out of Ottawa at times but also work out of Toronto at times. He clearly did not want to displace his family but that does not mean that we would never show his face in Ottawa. Let's give these people some credit for not being totally braindead.

BMO is also the National Stadium and was constructed with the idea of office space for the CSA.

From what I've seen and heard, BMO has lots of vacant office space.

Linford was in favour of selling Metcalf, as were other Board members and Directors; Nykamp concurred. It was in one of his action plans.

Linford was in favour of relocating CSA HQ to Toronto, as were other Board members and Directors; Nykamp concurred. It was also another one of his action plans - including revamping the CSA group on Bloor Street.

Nykamp's 4 kids are in their 20's, although 2 or 3 still live at home, in Ancaster. He himself didn't want to re-locate to Ottawa.

I can't understand how he would think that not being "on-site" in Ottawa on a regular basis would be unimportant. Now he knows.

The Board is spread over 10 provs/2 territories. The staff is not. You deal with the Board via a meeting periodically and then via phone calls in between. You should be dealing with your staff on a day to day basis face to face.

No serious company would allow their CEO to work from home or in an office out side of the main one (in this day in age or otherwise).

you could always hire staff to work out of Toronto and shut down the ottawa office. larger pool of qualified people in T.O.

BTW, I know of a $100 million company whose President works out of another office because he/she is running several companies. He shows up 2-3 times per month. It seems to work for them. He has an exec VP who runs day to day affairs.

Nykamp might have wanted to be located in Toronto because that's where the sponsorship dollars are and might have hired an Exec VP to manage day to day. Considering the rudderless ship that is the CSA right now, a CEO in Toronto would not be that bad. it's better than no CEO at all.

Edit: didn't read Squid's post before typing this one. clearly Nykamp's plan was to shut down the Ottawa office, which is simply logical. If you are actively seeking corporate sponsorship, you've got to be in Toronto. Ottawa's not exactly Siberia but it doesn't have the corporate base that Toronto (or Montreal) does.

I'm not saying that TO is a bad place to be, but I don't think that geographic proximity means a better success rate with sponsorship dollars. Hockey Canada, if I am not mistaken, is located in Calgary with another office in Ottawa.

The hunt for sponsorship money isn't that complicated. Especially with the massive grass roots appeal of soccer. Sponsors want a product they can proudly attach to that will offer them some profile. That is what soccer lacks. It's a mess and all you have to do is pick up a Globe & Mail and read about it. Clean this nonsense up and locate the office in St John's and you'll be better off.

On the location of the CEO. There are instances where this can work. That would involve a mature organization with stable revenues, defined costs, good sub-leadership, etc... Precisely what the CSA doesn't have. This is an organization that needs a serious kick in the ass and that kind of change can only happen when the CEO is a very hands on leader. That Nykamp or Linford thought that a CSA CEO could work effectively from 600km away from his team is, to me, absurd in the extreme.

Typically the people who run a companies day to day operations are Chief Operating Officers. When i worked in Rogers IT i was constantly helping out the COO of Rogers Cable, and as i learned from talking to and listening to people in the know he was the brains behind the cable side of the company. Edward Rogers Jr. was the CEO and President of Cable, but he was just a puppet and Mr. Adams was running the show.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Typically the people who run a companies day to day operations are Chief Operating Officers. When i worked in Rogers IT i was constantly helping out the COO of Rogers Cable, and as i learned from talking to and listening to people in the know he was the brains behind the cable side of the company. Edward Rogers Jr. was the CEO and President of Cable, but he was just a puppet and Mr. Adams was running the show.

I thought that they replaced the COO position (that Pipe held) with the CEO position.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I thought that they replaced the COO position (that Pipe held) with the CEO position.

I'm not sure what the CSA does, but in most large corp.'s there would be a COO position and their duty is to make sure the company "operates" effectively.

Archived