CSA mulls severance package for Nykamp

Massive Attack

I think Beaver has a good point about aligning with similar minded grassroot groups across Canada. Someone should probably email Andrew Latham and see where he stands and if he or his site would support us.

I also agree with Jeffrey's sentiment about moving forward with purpose and ideas.

So many important non-board positions not filled, this is ridiculous!

Yallop resigned (in part) over squabbles with the CSA, as did Linford. That's a head coach and a president, and yet nothing changes. Something really needs to get done!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The CSA never ceases to outdo itself.

CSA mulls severance package for Nykamp

PETER MALLETT

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

September 14, 2007 at 9:24 PM EDT

The Canadian Soccer Association is considering a severance package for Fred Nykamp, who has yet to work for the national organization, sources have told The Globe and Mail.

Nykamp, the former head of Basketball Canada, was announced by former CSA president Colin Linford as Canadian soccer's new chief executive officer at a news conference in May. His appointment, however, was blocked by the CSA board of directors this month.

Both Nykamp and CSA officials have turned down numerous requests for interviews about his status, but several sources within the Canadian soccer community say the association is considering a severance package.

Andrew Latham, a co-founder of Canada Club Soccer, a recently formed grassroots organization representing more than 70,000 youth soccer players across the country, reacted with surprise to the news yesterday.

"This is another example of the structure that has allowed a person to come out and announce they have hired someone, put it in the paper and now we are required to dig ourselves out of a hole," said Latham, who is based in Kelowna, B.C.

"It is the structure [at the CSA]. We are going to keep telling people the structure is not right and isn't producing an association that is moving forward, and it needs to be addressed."

Nykamp is still listed as the CSA's chief executive on its website, but his voice mail at the association's Ottawa headquarters has been disconnected.

Brazilian coach Rene Simoes was hailed by Linford in April as the "No.ƒ|1 choice" to take over the reins of the Canadian senior men's national team, but his appointment was also blocked by the board of directors over concerns about his salary. Men's under-20 coach Dale Mitchell was hired instead.

The friction between Linford and the 21-member board of directors eventually led to Linford's controversial resignation and fiery comments last week about the future of the organization.

CSA vice-president Victor Montagliani said this week that an election to fill Linford's position could take place at the CSA's annual meeting in Toronto on Oct. 21 or at a meeting of the executive planned for the spring of 2008.

globesports

THE STUPID! IT BURNS!

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

the 60-80 largest clubs in the country.

I would be very interested in knowing which are the "largest" clubs in Canada? I guess it would go something like:

1- Toronto FC

2- Montreal Impact

3- Vancouver Whitecaps FC

4-...?

5-...?

I'm guessing after the "big 3" we would start seeing some PDL teams (could the Lynx be the 4th largest club in the country). Or would some of the better known amateur clubs like Calgary Foothills be considered??

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

If no one has any objections, I can do that.

I'll do it this evening if I don't get a red light.

Since I do not have the power to do so on my own, can we let Jamit know if he should move a head with contacting Andrew Latham at Canada Club Soccer? I say, go for it, my friend. And thank you for taking this on. Any others willing to support this?

And, vpr and mediaguy, do your thing!!

Again, I'll put it out there: Should we start a petition? I know they might seem only symbolic, but if the petition is massive and goes to media, CSA and funders, then it can only keep the pressure on.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

I would be very interested in knowing which are the "largest" clubs in Canada? I guess it would go something like:

1- Toronto FC

2- Montreal Impact

3- Vancouver Whitecaps FC

4-...?

5-...?

I'm guessing after the "big 3" we would start seeing some PDL teams (could the Lynx be the 4th largest club in the country). Or would some of the better known amateur clubs like Calgary Foothills be considered??

They are talking size of player registrations...any semi pro or pro club in Canada is chump change in terms of playing members... the big 80 clubs will run from 2000 player registrations up to clubs running over 7500 registered players...

Folks..i know Even Pelerud never realized Canada has clubs... but seriously if you want to see change at the CSA you are going to have to get up to speed on how soccer funcions in the country below the National team / professional level.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

look to the severance of at least 1 year so perhaps about 250,000. His position is a senior one and it will be more difficult for him to obtain employment so his severance would be in the high range. Look for it to be even higher if he was enticed away from employment from Basketball Canada.

You might be right. I would estimate a minimum 6 months salary. In the range of $60,000 to $100,000 total. This could very well go to court.

Trillium is right - Our pro clubs wouldn't hit the top 50 in terms of 'large' Canadian clubs...

By the way, I think the article misrepresented Canada Club Soccer slightly. Representatives from clubs totalling ~75,000 registrations attended their symposium. I was there and in speaking with some of the reps, they were there to gather information only - very few, if any, had any authority to make a firm committment. At that time actual membership was about 8 clubs, including the Whitecaps, Fury, Lynx and a few BC/Alberta youth clubs...

Things may have changed since the symposium, but I haven't heard anything.

I really don't know what to think about Canada Club Soccer. I emailed them almost 6 months ago and never got a response back from them other than an automated reply.

I think the idea of an umbrella group representing the interests of clubs makes sense but i would like to know what they really stand for and what their plans are. They should, theoretically, be a very good ally for we fans who want change at the CSA. However, after their symposium, I heard very little from them.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

You might be right. I would estimate a minimum 6 months salary. In the range of $60,000 to $100,000 total. This could very well go to court.

Was he not hired away ?... so you get into a even bigger settlement he could have been in Basketball Canada for years to come ..indeed the public refusal to follow on certainly hurts his reputation in the National Sports organisation ...job market...

The quesitons will be ..why did they not hire him.....so it makes it doubly hard for him to get a job...especailly as another hiring board wont want to hear him say ..well the CSA is screwed up and i got suckered in by believing what i was told by the hiring ctte.

I think he is up to the 250,000 range without much pressure... I would suggest starting a half a million if I was his labour lawyer.

Only half a million? What about psychologic "pain and suffering" and damage to Nykamp's reputation and hence his future earning power? I think this could easily top a million. Well done lads, have another pint. Don't worry, you can always recoup the loss by requiring Mitchell to load up his WCQ roster with TFC reserve players, thus cutting travel expenses. (Added benefit is you avoid any more anti-CSA comments to the media by senior players like Radzinski.) I can just see it now... Gabe Gala and Andrea Lombardo in the WCQ starting eleven, while Stalteri, Radzinski, and Hutchinson remain with their clubs... and poor Dale Mitchell trying to justify these roster choices in order to keep his job. Oh, and here's another money-saving idea: The WCQ Squad can always save money by holding prematch scrimmages at a public park, provided the local Ultimate Frisbee Club doesn't have the field already reserved. (This actually happened during Osiek's tenure, for those who don't remember. Chin up, all you fartchatcher! Pretty soon this whole WCQ nonesense will be over, Canadians will go back to cheering for their "real" teams overseas, and you can all quietly slip back into obscurity for another four years. What's more, I hear that player registration numbers are up again this year... yet another successful year for the CSA.

Boys go for it,ball is rolling now and we can't stop this process that started with Black Wednesday.Today I was coaching our rep team at Scarborough tournament wearing SACK the CSA T-Shirt.

I think every single person that saw T-Shirt stopped and asked what is it all about.I will keep wearing this T-Shirt this winter season in Hangar,and I suggest to all of you that have one wear it when you go to soccer games and let ppl know what is going on with CSA.We have to educate ppl around the soccer fields in Canada.

SACK the CSA!!!

I know this should be in Women NT thread but again CSA.

You could hardly blame Even Pellerud if he soon told the Canadian It's one thing to having to work for an organization currently without a president, without an executive director and without any money.

But learning that the CSA has declined an invitation to host next year's CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament -- despite having a host city in Victoria eager to hold the event next March -- might be the last straw.

Instead, the event may end up in Haiti.

"It should happen. Victoria wants to host it. But the association turned it down," Pellerud said. "It's really disappointing. For sure it would present a better chance to get to the Olympic Games."

LINK

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/09/16/4500516-sun.html

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

I know this should be in Women NT thread but again CSA.

You could hardly blame Even Pellerud if he soon told the Canadian It's one thing to having to work for an organization currently without a president, without an executive director and without any money.

But learning that the CSA has declined an invitation to host next year's CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament -- despite having a host city in Victoria eager to hold the event next March -- might be the last straw.

Instead, the event may end up in Haiti.

"It should happen. Victoria wants to host it. But the association turned it down," Pellerud said. "It's really disappointing. For sure it would present a better chance to get to the Olympic Games."

LINK

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/09/16/4500516-sun.html

What a disgrace.

I wonder... what the back story is... does Canada the feds who the CSA would go to for the money to host want the event taken away from a Haiti where we are deeply involved in development and peace making in a failed state....?

I suspect for a lot of reasons Victoria was not a real option for the Concacaf carribean countries ...Haiti offers less travel costs and a environment more suitable to a TT or ..Jamaica.. remember the Brasilian MNT ...played there not so long ago...with no problems.

Of course the option for the CSA suits to travel to Haiti and partake in its.. social and cultural life may well be the motivating factor ...wonder who made the decision ?

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Trillium is right - Our pro clubs wouldn't hit the top 50 in terms of 'large' Canadian clubs...

By the way, I think the article misrepresented Canada Club Soccer slightly. Representatives from clubs totalling ~75,000 registrations attended their symposium. I was there and in speaking with some of the reps, they were there to gather information only - very few, if any, had any authority to make a firm committment. At that time actual membership was about 8 clubs, including the Whitecaps, Fury, Lynx and a few BC/Alberta youth clubs...

Things may have changed since the symposium, but I haven't heard anything.

Just a couple of points,

Canada Club Soccer

Mr Latham and his co-founders are still seeking traction nationally.

The symposium hosted by Canada Club Soccer was nothing more than a presentation to youth clubs and youth based organizations... there's been no movement presented to anyone outside of Latham's inner circle.

Like Lino, I was there with another person who was formerly representing a S.Ont club. Neither of us has heard a word from Mr Latham or his group.

But clearly, Latham was following this template/footprint:

http://www.usclubsoccer.org/

Latham wants out of the Provincial control realm, and affiliation as a National Associate Member. Which I think is a positive step for his organization as it would get "elite" clubs out of the control of local mom & pop volunteers - and favours a more "professional" approach to soccer's development in local communities.

Much what I think Lino is sort of seeking for the Academies.

Let dedicated technical and business people run the academies, creating another level/option for soccer's development in local communities and away from the volunteer or "secret agenda" set.

Nykamp

Nykamp's salary was $150,000 p/yr (with bonuses) while with Canada Basketball. That came right from a few Canada Basketball insiders. One of the perks at basketball was an RRSP top-up and I hear this is one of the last issues still to be resolved with the CSA, as an advance may have been already been completed. FYI, Nykamp was under the impression that he could:

A) Work from home (Ancaster, Ontario);

B) Have an office at BMO stadium; and

C) Not have to relocate to Ottawa.

What I heard from folks at Basketball Canada is that Nykamp went cheap. He jumped at the CSA more for the opportunity to have more $$$ to work with than to earn. And really, his track record at basketball hardly commanded big $$$.

The Voyageurs

The forums are being scanned daily by CSA staff.

This is no surprise but "Judas" lives.... portions of threads are being copied, pasted and circulated amongst CSA "volunteers"; which of course is keeping in line with what many employees of the provincial branches have been doing for a lot longer.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

The Voyageurs

The forums are being scanned daily by CSA staff.

This is no surprise but "Judas" lives.... portions of threads are being copied, pasted and circulated amongst CSA "volunteers"; which of course is keeping in line with what many employees of the provincial branches have been doing for a lot longer.

Good.

Hi boys!!! We aren't going anywhere. Until you do, that is.

First draft of press release...

quote:The Canadian Soccer Supporters Coalition (what did we call ourselves again?) continues to be fed up with the lack of leadership at the Canadian Soccer Association.

Just days after organizing the successful Black Wednesday protest at the National Soccer Stadium, the coalition has learned that the CSA is planning to offer Fred Nykamp a severance package after refusing to ratify his contract as president of the CSA.

"Where is the leadership," coalition president Dino Rossi said. "Whether Mr. Nykamp would have been a good president will never be known, but the way this has been handled is unacceptable."

Wasting money to pay a severance is taking money directly out of the pockets of Canadian soccer players, Rossi said.

"How many more examples of the CSA's incompetence do we need before something is done," Rossi asked.

The coalition is calling for a review of the current organizational structure of the CSA, with an eye to creating a more professional, efficient and accountable environment at the organization. If the current CSA administration is unwilling to change its way of operation, the coalition is asking that it be disbanded and replaced with a new organization.

"Canadian soccer deserves better," Rossi said.

The coalition is mostly made up of members of the Voyageurs, Canada's oldest pro-Canada supporters group, and the two largest Toronto FC supporters groups--the U-Sector and Red Patch Boys.

For more information, or to set up an interview with...(contact info)

VPjr - Could you review the quotes and change them as you see fit.

Others interested-- please have a look and offer suggestions. This is going out tonight. I'll post the final version at that time.

CSA spies -- resign

Here's my edited version:

Canadian Soccer Supporters United (CSSU) continues to be frustrated by the lack of professional leadership at the Canadian Soccer Association.

Just days after organizing the successful Black Wednesday protest at the National Soccer Stadium, CSSU has learned that the Board of Directors of the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) will be offering a severance package offer to Mr. Fred Nykamp, formerly the CEO of Basketball Canada, because they refuse to ratify the employment contract he was offered to become the new CEO of the CSA.

"Where is the leadership?" asks CSSU co-founder Dino Rossi. "Whether Mr. Nykamp would have been a successful as Chief Executive of the CSA will never be known, but the way this has been handled is unacceptable and symptomatic of bigger problems at the CSA."

Wasting money on a severance package is simply taking money directly out of the pockets of Canadian soccer players, Rossi said.

"How many more examples of the CSA's incompetence do we need before something is done," Rossi asked.

The CSSU is calling for an independent review of the CSA’s organizational structure, with the goal of creating a more professional, efficient and accountable environment at the CSA. If the current CSA administration is unwilling to change its way of operation, the CSSU is asking that it be disbanded and replaced with a new organization, as was done in Australia only six years ago.

"Canadian soccer deserves better," Rossi said.

CSSU is comprised of members of the Voyageurs, the leading Canadian soccer supporters group, and the two largest Toronto FC supporters groups--the U-Sector and Red Patch Boys.

For more information, or to set up an interview with a CSSU representative, (put my contact info here)

Archived