CSA mulls severance package for Nykamp

Massive Attack

The CSA never ceases to outdo itself.

CSA mulls severance package for Nykamp

PETER MALLETT

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

September 14, 2007 at 9:24 PM EDT

The Canadian Soccer Association is considering a severance package for Fred Nykamp, who has yet to work for the national organization, sources have told The Globe and Mail.

Nykamp, the former head of Basketball Canada, was announced by former CSA president Colin Linford as Canadian soccer's new chief executive officer at a news conference in May. His appointment, however, was blocked by the CSA board of directors this month.

Both Nykamp and CSA officials have turned down numerous requests for interviews about his status, but several sources within the Canadian soccer community say the association is considering a severance package.

Andrew Latham, a co-founder of Canada Club Soccer, a recently formed grassroots organization representing more than 70,000 youth soccer players across the country, reacted with surprise to the news yesterday.

"This is another example of the structure that has allowed a person to come out and announce they have hired someone, put it in the paper and now we are required to dig ourselves out of a hole," said Latham, who is based in Kelowna, B.C.

"It is the structure [at the CSA]. We are going to keep telling people the structure is not right and isn't producing an association that is moving forward, and it needs to be addressed."

Nykamp is still listed as the CSA's chief executive on its website, but his voice mail at the association's Ottawa headquarters has been disconnected.

Brazilian coach Rene Simoes was hailed by Linford in April as the "No.ƒ|1 choice" to take over the reins of the Canadian senior men's national team, but his appointment was also blocked by the board of directors over concerns about his salary. Men's under-20 coach Dale Mitchell was hired instead.

The friction between Linford and the 21-member board of directors eventually led to Linford's controversial resignation and fiery comments last week about the future of the organization.

CSA vice-president Victor Montagliani said this week that an election to fill Linford's position could take place at the CSA's annual meeting in Toronto on Oct. 21 or at a meeting of the executive planned for the spring of 2008.

globesports

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we are going to pay this guy not even to work for the CSA lets see who we get as a replacement. Logically, they have to be better than Nycamp in order to justify the cost.

What's completely negligent is that despite the fact Linford came with the press release for the hiring the CSA waited until he resigned to explain the situation. What kind of management is that? If there was a problem they should have been in the press the next day explaining that the final decision still had to pass through the board and Linford as president had overstepped his bounds.

One thing is for sure, no one will ever accuse the CSA of operating above board.

This kind of article provides more fuel for the fire of discontent that is already burning.

I, for one, can not comment whether Nykamp is the man for the job or not but how can you announce the man as the future CEO, establish an Aug 1 start date, and now fire him before he starts showing up for work.

The CSA is clearly not a body that works. It's sad really. It really makes you wonder why it is so difficult for them to act in a truthful and forthright manner.

Does anyone know who this "Andrew Latham, a co-founder of Canada Club Soccer" is? Is he a potential ally in our efforts, or do we have different agendas?

Also, what happened to the thread about moving the Voyageurs in the direction of a more formal organization (incorporation, board of directors, etc)? I think that such a move would help us to organize a viable alternative to the current CSA board.

Guest Jeffery S.

The real news here is scandalous. The CSA announced that an interim president would be named now and the board would vote for a new one in the fall meeting.

Now it appears they are not only NOT going to name an interim president now, but they are thinking about not having a president until 2008.

No technical director, no chief executive officer and no president. These guys have decapitated the organization, they have essentially perpetuated a coup d'etat. How can Sport Canada not react to this situation?

I proposed earlier that we call for the board's resignation. I still have not heard a good reason why we are not doing this, I mean there are black shirt protests but no concrete proposal from soccer fans cited anywhere as a clear demand. That does not work, if you want to do the visual protest you do it accompanied by a clear plan of action.

Failing calling for their resignation, I propose a clear set of demands as a point of pressure, as a concrete position from the Canadian soccer community: the naming of the new president from the board and of both a technical director and chief executive officer before the end of 2007. We did this in May, calling for the naming of a new coach, and we can do this again. Anyone in?

Jeffrey I'm not so good at writing at all,but I'm in 100%.Whatever has to be done to clean CSA forever i'm in.You guys with more experience should lead in this mater the rest of us will help.CSA must go and new FA is more then needed,it is not about WC2010 for me this is for our kids and WC 2014,2018 etc.

ALL FOR ONE!!

I think this situation is even more serious than the bungling of the Head Coach hiring process. Most organizations know that, at the end of the day, a choice will need to be made between those who applied for the job. Was Nykamp the best for the job? If not, who was? And how would someone not directly involved in that Hiring Committee know enough to reject the hiring recommendation?

This sounds more like petty politics getting in the way of getting things done.

A cardinal rule of successful organizations: Authority must be linked to responsibility.

The CSA Board has in effect usurped the authority for day to day operations of the CSA, but refuses to take responsibility for its own actions. If they want to micromanage things, then they should stand up and be accountable when they screw up, instead of hiding behind the anonymity of a "committee of volunteers".

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

What's completely negligent is that despite the fact Linford came with the press release for the hiring the CSA waited until he resigned to explain the situation. What kind of management is that? If there was a problem they should have been in the press the next day explaining that the final decision still had to pass through the board and Linford as president had overstepped his bounds.

Well if they had done that they would probably have made Linford look bad, but I'm not sure it would have changed the overall picture of dysfunctionalism that everyone has of CSA board as a whole. I suspect they wanted to see if they could make it work with Nykamp first before immediately denouncing Linford as being incompetent & abusing his power. I'd also be surprised if the CSA or any similar organization has a protocol for making such comments about its President & what he has just said to the press the day after he makes a press release announcing a hiring. The problem really arises, as Latham suggests, from Linford deciding to hire through the press rather than using the correct procedure that's in place. Which is the sort of thing that makes me somewhat ambivalent about his departure.

The only bit of new news in this article (at least for me) is the possibility that the new president might not be elected next month after all. Not that I plan to lose sleep over it.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I think this situation is even more serious than the bungling of the Head Coach hiring process. Most organizations know that, at the end of the day, a choice will need to be made between those who applied for the job. Was Nykamp the best for the job? If not, who was? And how would someone not directly involved in that Hiring Committee know enough to reject the hiring recommendation?

The rumours that I have heard indicate that Nykamp wasn't on the short list for the hiring committee, and the "rejection" occurred not because they didn't think he was the right man but because the board felt they couldn't meet his contract demands (which were not purely financial, and made apparently on what Linford had promised him, and subsequently "recommended" to the Board).

I should stress that's just what I heard (and read), not from personal knowledge. But if true, is another example of a high level of dysfunctionalism.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Failing calling for their resignation, I propose a clear set of demands as a point of pressure, as a concrete position from the Canadian soccer community: the naming of the new president from the board and of both a technical director and chief executive officer before the end of 2007. We did this in May, calling for the naming of a new coach, and we can do this again. Anyone in?

Yes! What the heck are we waiting for?

There is a time and place for demanding the resignation of the board and its coming soon.

I believe the first step is to demand a meeting with the CSA board as soon as possible (either face to face at their AGM, face to face a location picked by us or by conference call if necessary). If a meeting is refused, that's when I think we should go public and make demands for the resignation of the board. I feel that people are listening to us right now but to make demands for people to resign before giving them a chance to listen to what we feel they ought to be doing would come across as premature. There is no argument from me that these people need to go but I'd like to give them the chance to say yes (or no) to a meeting request before throwing down the gauntlet of demanding their resignation.

If there are those of you who don't want to wait, then feel free to draft a letter to the media demanding the resignation of the board but be sure it goes out as a personal letter, just as MediaGuy and I did with the initial Black Wednesday protest letters.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

If a meeting is refused, that's when I think we should go public and make demands for the resignation of the board.

Agreed. And at the meetings we should do as Jeffrey said and demand that we get those positions filled, and soon.

The time for action is now, not next week, now, today. If we do not act soon then Black Wednesday will blow over and be forgotten. I think we all agree meeting with the CSA in some way shape or form is not a bad idea. I'm not the one to contact the CSA (I am more then willing to help where ever I am wanted) but the person who is (I would suggest VPjr or MediaGuy) needs to move on this no latter then Sunday I would say.

I wonder if a brief press release, in the name of the Black Wednesday protest group, shouldn't go out on this.

It would simply say that the CSA's silence on the Nykamp situation is unacceptable and ask that the organization immediately inform the public of its intentions in regards to the position of president.

If, as we expect, they buy him out we follow-up with a PR chastising them for wasting public money.

Unless there is a strong direction from people here for us not to do this, I will go ahead and do this tonight.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well if they had done that they would probably have made Linford look bad, but I'm not sure it would have changed the overall picture of dysfunctionalism that everyone has of CSA board as a whole. I suspect they wanted to see if they could make it work with Nykamp first before immediately denouncing Linford as being incompetent & abusing his power. I'd also be surprised if the CSA or any similar organization has a protocol for making such comments about its President & what he has just said to the press the day after he makes a press release announcing a hiring. The problem really arises, as Latham suggests, from Linford deciding to hire through the press rather than using the correct procedure that's in place. Which is the sort of thing that makes me somewhat ambivalent about his departure.

Not informing the public is unacceptable. No one is going to have protocol for every situation that could possibly come up, but it's clear communication was needed under the circumstances.

We as public stakeholders in the CSA were mislead into believing we had a CEO. This lasted for a period of approximately 3 months. Then once the person who incorrectly hired the CEO says he's leaving, the CSA board turns around and says "Nycamp wasn't hired properly". That is not acceptable or professional under any circumstances.

Press release should have been issued immediately by the board.

At the point they realized they weren't coming to an agreement with Nycamp a further release should have been issued. CSA needs to be run professionally, this is just another example of why it's not.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The real news here is scandalous. The CSA announced that an interim president would be named now and the board would vote for a new one in the fall meeting.

Now it appears they are not only NOT going to name an interim president now, but they are thinking about not having a president until 2008.

No technical director, no chief executive officer and no president. These guys have decapitated the organization, they have essentially perpetuated a coup d'etat. How can Sport Canada not react to this situation?

I proposed earlier that we call for the board's resignation. I still have not heard a good reason why we are not doing this, I mean there are black shirt protests but no concrete proposal from soccer fans cited anywhere as a clear demand. That does not work, if you want to do the visual protest you do it accompanied by a clear plan of action.

The Voyageurs needs to call for the current CSA board to call a national restructuring conference, where all registered clubs in the country can send a representative to vote on a new national constitution ....or at a minimum the creation of a representative constitutional committee whose members must be from the clubs in membership..no provincial director s or CSA directors...

Has anyone here reached out to Andrew Latham at Canada Club Soccer yet? (Or, has Andrew reached out to us?) We need to allign with as many grassroots organizations as possible, first to put real pressure for structural reform at the CSA, but also so that we can build support for those games Canada will play in the country.

Also, we need to ask Andrew if he's in contact with any other grassroots organizations across the country. We need to build our numbers, build our story, and continue putting pressure on the CSA and its funders.

look to the severance of at least 1 year so perhaps about 250,000. His position is a senior one and it will be more difficult for him to obtain employment so his severance would be in the high range. Look for it to be even higher if he was enticed away from employment from Basketball Canada.

Archived