CSA meeting?

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

When and where is the CSA meeting to decide Linford's replacement? I think that should be our next target.

Thoughts?

The weekend of October 20/21?

Where? is the $64,000.

I called the CSA directly and asked. Someone, he wouldn't identify himself, took my name, number and asked why? Then I was advised that someone would get back to me, that was 8 days ago - I'm still waiting.

I called back yesterday morning, I asked who I needed to talk to about that information. I was told who (she's at ext 222) - I left her a voice mail. I'm still waiting.

That number is 613-237-4580, ext 222.

(http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/directory/index.asp?sub2=10)

Customer service at it's best, ain't the CSA just grand...

Let's start making the calls....

Also, don't forget about your provincial and district association's AGM.

In Ontario, the list for district meetings:

http://www.soccer.on.ca/OSN.nsf/6ac9cbc42e5c8e9e8525681d0069a102/4657408bd5441d378525681d0069e04a?OpenDocument

The OSA's Annual General Meeting is November 8th, in Hamilton at the Sheraton Hotel. 116 King Street West · Hamilton, Ontario

Bill, have I got the right information on this?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

If we can find out where it's being held, I'd be up for a road trip. A few dozen protesters wearing black t-shirts might get noticed.

I know of a great Thai restaurant in the Glebe ;)

Ok...I'll throw this out there.

I think we should demand a seat at the meeting. And, when they say no, we need to have a display of people outside of it.

I would suggest making a formal request to make a presentation at the meeting. If it is declined, you then have something to work with.

I know of a great Thai restaurant in the Glebe ;)

Ok...I'll throw this out there.

I think we should demand a seat at the meeting. And, when they say no, we need to have a display of people outside of it.

Good idea MediaGuy run with it. It's time to get their whole setup transparent for the people who pay their salaries. No more secret back patting pint downing BS for the CSA. Boys we have to spread the word through the grass roots as well I'm sure some of you are coaching back home tell the parents who pay the fees what's going on. Let them know how their money's been wasted for 20 years. If it's not the CSA's fault, if a lot of blame lies in the provincial associations, the CSA had better start naming names and specific problems instead of hiding.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

Also, don't forget about your provincial and district association's AGM.

In Ontario, the list for district meetings:

http://www.soccer.on.ca/OSN.nsf/6ac9cbc42e5c8e9e8525681d0069a102/4657408bd5441d378525681d0069e04a?OpenDocument

The OSA's Annual General Meeting is November 8th, in Hamilton at the Sheraton Hotel. 116 King Street West · Hamilton, Ontario

Bill, have I got the right information on this?

List of District AGMs is last year's. Hasn't been updated yet for the current season of AGMs.

Although the 'AGM weekend' starts with meetings on Thursday, November 8th., the OSA AGM itself is on the Saturday, November 10th. in Hamilton.

I was actually about to write an email to the CSA requesting an opportunity for a group of supporters to address the Board of Directors directly, whether formally or informally, on behalf of all Canadian soccer supporters. If they don't want to meet with us, then I think we would be justified to show up whereever they are meeting and hold a small protest.

MediaGuy, do you want to work on the letter or do you want me to?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I was actually about to write an email to the CSA requesting an opportunity for a group of supporters to address the Board of Directors directly, whether formally or informally, on behalf of all Canadian soccer supporters. If they don't want to meet with us, then I think we would be justified to show up whereever they are meeting and hold a small protest.

MediaGuy, do you want to work on the letter or do you want me to?

I'm covering the Caledonia native land dispute today...so, I won't be able to get to it for a bit. Why don't you whip off something and I'll do some editing...

Guest Jeffery S.

I think the proper way to go about things is to sound them out here for a while and then decide to act on them, not just jump ahead haphazardly.

I think it is incorrect to ask to address the CSA board at one of their meetings. It may be that they have no basis or grounds to do so in their statutes, especially when we are talking about a meeting to choose an interim president.

What does make sense is to find a meeting place, like a community centre hall, and invite members of the CSA based in S. Ontario to meet the fans. On our ground, and they come to us. In fact this might be the way to go in all provinces, we do a series of cross Canada open meetings, inviting Provincial presidents to dialogue. Automatically, if they say yes, you have people listening to you and press following the story. If they say no, all across the board, to all our requests, then you go the route I think is the best: call for their resignation.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think the proper way to go about things is to sound them out here for a while and then decide to act on them, not just jump ahead haphazardly.

I think it is incorrect to ask to address the CSA board at one of their meetings. It may be that they have no basis or grounds to do so in their statutes, especially when we are talking about a meeting to choose an interim president.

What does make sense is to find a meeting place, like a community centre hall, and invite members of the CSA based in S. Ontario to meet the fans. On our ground, and they come to us. In fact this might be the way to go in all provinces, we do a series of cross Canada open meetings, inviting Provincial presidents to dialogue. Automatically, if they say yes, you have people listening to you and press following the story. If they say no, all across the board, to all our requests, then you go the route I think is the best: call for their resignation.

Good thinking,bring them out to our ground.I think this is a good way to do it.This is just getting better and better.

SACK the CSA !!

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

Good thinking,bring them out to our ground.I think this is a good way to do it.This is just getting better and better.

SACK the CSA !!

Excellent idea. Such a meeting could be the launching pad for the new Federation. Some sort of slogan or catch phrase will help to get the meeting advertised and lots of vociferous people attending.

Most boards will invite people to meetings from time to time. If they have statutes that do not allow that, it should be changed. Period end of story.

After all, this is a national association that has been entrusted to manage a sport on behalf of those in Canada interested in that sport. The reality is that there were a number of people involved in an organized protest against that association. And it is becoming more public every day. If that isn't a concern to the Board, they are far more clueless than even we think. They would be better make the invitation themselves rather than wait for the request.

National teams do not belong to the CSA. They do not belong to the players or the coaches for that matter. They belong to Canada. If there are concerns about how those teams are being managed, there needs to be a facility that allows those concerns to be addressed.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Jeffrey

I think your idea is quite valid. It is something that we should give serious consideration to doing.

However, I do believe the most workable strategy for now is to formally request a block of time at their upcoming general meeting to voice the concerns of the supporters from across Canada. If they accept our request, fantastic. We can then nominate people to attend and to speak on behalf of all the the supporters and draft a position paper. If they refuse, I am pretty sure we can find a constructive way to use that refusal to further our calls for reform/revolution. We are taxpayers. Taxpayer money is made available to the CSA. How can they refuse taxpayers?

The idea that they don't have grounds in their rulebook to allow outsiders to speak to them would come off as a pretty flimsy excuse (even if it is true). If you are committed to the concept of accountability, you make exceptions. The optics would be bad if they flatly refuse or simply ignore our requests.

I think the best time for us to call our own meeting would be if they refuse our request to meet with them. I would be more than willing to be part of an organizing group for to setup such a meeting if in fact it has to come to that.

Jeffrey

I think your idea is quite valid. It is something that we should give serious consideration to doing.

However, I do believe the most workable strategy for now is to formally request a block of time at their upcoming general meeting to voice the concerns of the supporters from across Canada. If they accept our request, fantastic. We can then nominate people to attend and to speak on behalf of all the the supporters and draft a position paper. If they refuse, I am pretty sure we can find a constructive way to use that refusal to further our calls for reform/revolution. We are taxpayers. Taxpayer money is made available to the CSA. How can they refuse taxpayers?

The idea that they don't have grounds in their rulebook to allow outsiders to speak to them would come off as a pretty flimsy excuse (even if it is true). If you are committed to the concept of accountability, you make exceptions. The optics would be bad if they flatly refuse or simply ignore our requests.

I think the best time for us to call our own meeting would be if they refuse our request to meet with them. I would be more than willing to be part of an organizing group for to setup such a meeting if in fact it has to come to that.

Agreed on all counts. Right now, due to time constraints, I think that requesting a block of time to make a presentation is the way to go. I'd suggest that this be sent via regular surface mail, with copies also sent via Registered Mail and via email and fax. The electronic transmissions will guarantee that they receive it in a timely manner, so they can't use "it must have been in the mail" as an excuse. The regular surface mail will be the actual, "official" communication. The Registered letter will serve as legal evidence and a paper trail of receipt, and could come in handy later on.

Jeffrey's idea re inviting them to our meetings is wonderful, a real grass roots approach. I think this should be undertaken after they refuse our request to attend their meeting. They may have the smarts to invite us, but simply ignore what we have to say, in which case we may also wish to proceed in this manner. As someone mentioned above, it might be worth considering having similar meetings in each province. If we go this route, I would be willing to help in organizing a meeting in New Brunswick (there's no way I'd have time to do it all by myself, but I'd be willing to pitch in if a couple of other NB Voyageurs (preferably with some soccer/club contacts in their community) step up. I have a background in public sector management (and extensive experience dealing with local electronic and print media) so would be comfortable in such a role if others want me to do so.)

Neither idea is wrong. And there is no reason that we can't do both. It's my opinion that organizing our own meeting will take longer than requesting an audience with the board and drafting a presentation would.

I also think that we need to flush out our position in detail now. We need to develop a full, detailed description of what we want the CSA to look like.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

I'd suggest that this be sent via regular surface mail, with copies also sent via Registered Mail and via email and fax. The electronic transmissions will guarantee that they receive it in a timely manner, so they can't use "it must have been in the mail" as an excuse. The regular surface mail will be the actual, "official" communication. The Registered letter will serve as legal evidence and a paper trail of receipt, and could come in handy later on.

great idea...if we are going to do this, let's do it the right way.

When and where is the CSA meeting to decide Linford's replacement? I think that should be our next target.

Thoughts?

in Toronto.

the InterContinental Toronto Centre, located at 225 Front Street West.

3 separate sources, reliability scale = good but not great.

I'm still trying to confirm - CSA not returning or acknowledging my inquiry about the October meeting, I guess they think its a secret.

I hear that Linford's replacement is but just one agenda item, there are others. I don't beleieve that the 2008 Budget is an agenda item -that's still December's general meeting.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

I'm still trying to confirm - CSA not returning or acknowledging my inquiry about the October meeting, I guess they think its a secret.

I think step one for us will be to formally request that the location and date of the meeting be released to us. Then we will follow up with a formal request to make a presentation at the meeting.

If we are refused at any stage, we go to the press.

Off the top of my head:

quote:(salutation),

I am writing on behalf of the Canadian Soccer Supporters Union, a coalition of fans representing three of the nation's largest soccer supporters group.

We are requesting that we be informed of the date and location of the meeting that will determine a replacement for Colin Linford.

We trust that you will provide us with this information by 5 p.m. EDT Wednesday.

Thank you,

MediaGuy - press officer, CSSU

Spies: We will give you every reasonable opportunity to respond to this before going public.

I am writing on behalf of the Canadian Soccer Supporters Union, a coalition of fans representing three of the nation's largest soccer supporters group.

Only three? Don't the Impact have fans? Don't the Whitecaps have a fan base? Have you contacted them yet?

Also, I still see no reason why we should be allowed into this meeting. Why don't we ask to formally meet with the CSA before the meeting?

Archived