What's with the terrible attendance?

Natesta

The first National team game being played in Toronto in 7 years... Canada's most populous city... in our countries national stadium...

and we can't even fill it up half way!

A bunch of people owe the fine fans in Edmonton an apology.

What a disgrace, Toronto should be embarrassed.

Edited to add that the only saving grace was the fine folks in the southside stands.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres a bit of a difference between leaf games and Canadian national team games. How many people know about leaf games??? millions. Its simply a matter of advertising, a lack of a NATIONAL TEAM fan base (different than TFC) and the fact that it was a friendly.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Theres a bit of a difference between leaf games and Canadian national team games. How many people know about leaf games??? millions. Its simply a matter of advertising, a lack of a NATIONAL TEAM fan base (different than TFC) and the fact that it was a friendly.

9000 out of 5.5 million people?

I bet the game would have drew better in Edmonton, Montreal, or Vancouver.

Especially after the good Gold Cup showing.

You bet that based on what exactly?? What factors point to those cities having a better turnout? MTL had a game last year at this time, I believe attendace was 6500, granted the stadium is smaller, but Montreal is a huge city as well. Are you blaming Toronto specifically? Can you not see that Canada does not historically draw well in any of the aformentioned cities? I wish this wasnt the case but I believe if we had more games and more momentum (qualifying for the hex and wc) we will constantly draw over 20 000

Before we piss on everyone who didn't show for the game tonight I think we should show the supporters groups some respect. There's a reason why the south end was full and the rest of the stadium was empty.

Starting a game at 7 pm at bmo is different from starting it at the ACC which is right next to the trasportation hub of the entire city.

If we're going to compare attendance we need to compare it to something equivalent (ie. other friendlies). U-20 attendance was a whole seperate condition (Edmonton or otherwise). If we're going to blame TFC for not coming maybe it's a good idea to give them first dibs on tickets for more than 3 days with a hastily announced email followed up by lots of surrounding problems.

In the end ... still a terrible draw.

Prices may have been a problem, but I think the Wednesday night was a bigger factor. I contacted a lot of people to encourage them to come to the game - with those that didn't come, the big drawback was the game being downtown on a "school night".

Attendance was only a slight disappointment for me as I had slightly more realistic expectations - I posted this a few days ago that I would have been thrilled with 15,000 and okay with 10,000, and we got just under that. Anyone thinking that this game would have been a 20,000 sell-out was dreaming. The TFC friendlies on Wednesday which free (ie. part of the season ticket packages) didn't get close to 20,000 actual attendees, why would this one?

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

9000 out of 5.5 million people?

I bet the game would have drew better in Edmonton, Montreal, or Vancouver.

And you are basing this idiotic claim on what? Check out the attendance of actual recent qualifiers in those cities or the Jamaica friendly on a holiday weekend afternoon.

I think the attendance was slightly disappointing because I think we are capable of doing a bit better in this city, even on a Wednesday night. But I don't think it is disappointing in comparison to other Canadian cities, that's for sure.

Price range from $15 to $99 plus tax and service charge.For all of you criticizing Toronto fans ask yourself would you pay $100 for friendly game at Wednesday night.Not the mention almost no advertising for this game.We advertise this game better trough our protest than F*^king CSA.

We (TFC season ticks holders)were told we can buy tickets for our seats in presale.Guess what they were selling the tickets over internet and only few of us were able to get own seats.Sudenly instead of $20 I have to pay $50 or $70 because CSA morons didn't explain Ticketmaster how is this supposed to work.

F*CK AND SACK THE CSA!!!!!

Attendance was disappointing, but the hard reality is that our team has to EARN (win) its fans. Tony Meola once said, "America loves a winner," and the fact of the matter, with sport, we could apply that to Canada, too. We packed Commonwealth to the gills AFTER Canada's U19s had shown well in earlier games. They earned their fans, and to some degree still have a decent fan base.

Our guys need to continue the fine run of recent play, play more games at home, and get the continued--and increased--support that the V's, Red Patch and U-Sector dudes brought tonight.

We must continue to do what WE can to build support, and hope the CSA makes the appropriate moves to help our lads do what they need to build support (i.e. Win win win.)

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Agreed! Some of us were discussing this possibility fairly recently. It's a no-brainer IMO. It's good for TFC and good for Canada.

db

Except it's death for travelling fans. If WCQ tickets become part of the TFC season ticket package I'm going to be mighty pissed. Why don't we just promote the games, if TFC season ticket holders really give a crap they'll buy the tickets.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Except it's death for travelling fans. If WCQ tickets become part of the TFC season ticket package I'm going to be mighty pissed. Why don't we just promote the games, if TFC season ticket holders really give a crap they'll buy the tickets.

cheers,

matthew

you can have one of my seats!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

I do blame them for scheduling matches at 7pm.

Why the need to deviate from the accepted 8pm? Scheduling matches that early in Toronto is stupid.

Haha, I remember Edmonton getting 30,000 for Austria for JUNIORS (U20) at a 5:30PM start, and when some of us pointed out the terribly early start, we were being told that we're making excuses.

Archived