Canada vs. Costa Rica Match Thread (R)

Gian-Luca

Guest Jeffery S.

I only watched the first half on a poor stream and listened to Costa Rica radio. Makes me want to go there just to consume whatever they sell everytime there is a corner kick.

Seriously the CR commentator was great, after listening to the Sportsnet team for a while I just switched over entirely, as our boys are zero analysis of the game. At no time are they able to stop the boring comments about what player has what important game coming up next week and say, well, here is what has happened so far, here is what we are doing well, what we could do better at, this is how Mitchell has made his mark, this is the other team's problem or virtue. Nothing.

The CR commentator said that CR was not able to adjust to the Canadian pace, and especially our pressure on the ball defending. That they had to shift after playing vs. Honduras as the style was different. And then analyzed the key to the CAnadian attack, being how our attacking mids and striker/s were changing position, in movement, moving to and away from the ball, giving who ever had the ball options for the pass short or long, and how that was getting us some depth in attack, something they lacked. They insisted that we had a very European playing style, and that made it more difficult for the CR players who were not used to seeing it.

CR went a goal up on us at the Gold Cup, and one here too, so that means we are playing catch up against them. We may have dominated, but we get into the same situation down a goal in a qualifier and I'd be worried, as their defence is pretty serious. Meaning we may look superior, but that is not being translated into goals. We need to think about what has to be done to score first and not be put behind the 8-ball come qualifiers. I think it means a small sacrifice: DeRo and Radz are more like attacking mids lately, and both out wide. Both can score but neither are on form strikers (both of their rates have fallen in fact). I would favour trying a 4-4-2 with maybe only one of the mids with the winger profile, the one that defendes better, meaning:

Occean and Hume up front.

De Rosario-Hutchinson-De Guzman-Bernier behind them.

And let our attackers combine more in the middle with each other and complement each other. As is neither Radz or DeRo are that fast, neither get to the end line that much and cross in, I think that calling them attackers is in fact, with both on the field, debilitating our attack.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

I only watched the first half on a poor stream and listened to Costa Rica radio. Makes me want to go there just to consume whatever they sell everytime there is a corner kick.

Seriously the CR commentator was great, after listening to the Sportsnet team for a while I just switched over entirely, as our boys are zero analysis of the game. At no time are they able to stop the boring comments about what player has what important game coming up next week and say, well, here is what has happened so far, here is what we are doing well, what we could do better at, this is how Mitchell has made his mark, this is the other team's problem or virtue. Nothing.

The CR commentator said that CR was not able to adjust to the Canadian pace, and especially our pressure on the ball defending. That they had to shift after playing vs. Honduras as the style was different. And then analyzed the key to the CAnadian attack, being how our attacking mids and striker/s were changing position, in movement, moving to and away from the ball, giving who ever had the ball options for the pass short or long, and how that was getting us some depth in attack, something they lacked. They insisted that we had a very European playing style, and that made it more difficult for the CR players who were not used to seeing it.

CR went a goal up on us at the Gold Cup, and one here too, so that means we are playing catch up against them. We may have dominated, but we get into the same situation down a goal in a qualifier and I'd be worried, as their defence is pretty serious. Meaning we may look superior, but that is not being translated into goals. We need to think about what has to be done to score first and not be put behind the 8-ball come qualifiers. I think it means a small sacrifice: DeRo and Radz are more like attacking mids lately, and both out wide. Both can score but neither are on form strikers (both of their rates have fallen in fact). I would favour trying a 4-4-2 with maybe only one of the mids with the winger profile, the one that defendes better, meaning:

Occean and Hume up front.

De Rosario-Hutchinson-De Guzman-Bernier behind them.

And let our attackers combine more in the middle with each other and complement each other. As is neither Radz or DeRo are that fast, neither get to the end line that much and cross in, I think that calling them attackers is in fact, with both on the field, debilitating our attack.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I'm pretty sure I heard Craig Forrest make a similar observation. He even called it a soccer version of a "full-court press".

Regardless, comparing a radio broadcast -- where the announcer is the only means of conveying the action to the listeners -- to a TV broadcast (where visuals rule) is really apples to oranges.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm pretty sure I heard Craig Forrest make a similar observation. He even called it a soccer version of a "full-court press".

Regardless, comparing a radio broadcast -- where the announcer is the only means of conveying the action to the listeners -- to a TV broadcast (where visuals rule) is really apples to oranges.

My radio experience was better and more visual than a shaky streamed video.

In any case I don't think you can argue that we have to translate dominating, as we did, into goals. There are a lot of ways to address that, but no easy solutions, you look at the latest Eurocup qualifiers and a lot of superior teams in play really have problems imposing themselves on the scoreboard.

just watched the game again. really happy with the teams peformance, the formation really suits us.

I was very impressed with Bernier, he did all the little things right. Deguz, dero and hutch are amazing together. Brennan showed he deserves a place in the starting 11 at LB (but then so did jazic at the GC, klukowski is on the outside looking in for now). I like Stalteri as Captain.

I expected more from hirschfeld on the goal. also expected more from radzinski going forward. gerba should have put one of his chances away, he'll have to move aside and let Occean have his chance as starting CF. Friend again showed he can't score. We could use Nsaliwa and/or Mckenna at the back.

thankfully, mitchell is not messing with hart's system. things are looking good.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

In any case I don't think you can argue that we have to translate dominating, as we did, into goals. There are a lot of ways to address that, but no easy solutions, you look at the latest Eurocup qualifiers and a lot of superior teams in play really have problems imposing themselves on the scoreboard.

While I agree that it would be nice to be able to translate domination into more goals, I don't agree with tinkering with the system/formation. With the 4-5-1/4-3-3, we've been scoring 1.6 goals a game for the last 8 games (1.77/game over 9 games if you want to include Bermuda). That seems to be a pretty good rate. I don't know if changing the system would improve that.

However, I don't have a solution myself except to tell the players to start shooting more.

I notice a few here have been complaining that Radzinski is off form and maybe even past his sell-by date, but when was the last time he played a meaningful game, or any game, come to that?

It would be difficult for anyone to come in out-of-season and be able to jump right in.

Let's cut him some slack - he's still a useful player and his presence should be welcomed.

Everyone understates Friend's role in the attack. Every ball that came to his chest/head, he cleanly received and distributed. If that's not the definition of a target man, I don't know what is. His chance in the box was stuck on his feet (Peter Crouch syndrome?), but how many other of our strikers would have been in that position? He was definitely the most impressive of our attackers, and to me, he is #1 choice at striker.

On another note, this is definitely the most talented Canadian team I've ever seen. Excellent posession, movement without the ball, and creativity in the midfield. The defensive marking needs improvement, as too many Costa Rican's were allowed to roam free in the Canadian half. I was not all that impressed with Serioux, as he seemed a step or two behind the pace of the game.

Hopefully we play South Africa in November. That's another game we have a definite chance to win.

quote:Originally posted by MikeF

Everyone understates Friend's role in the attack. Every ball that came to his chest/head, he cleanly received and distributed. If that's not the definition of a target man, I don't know what is. His chance in the box was stuck on his feet (Peter Crouch syndrome?), but how many other of our strikers would have been in that position? He was definitely the most impressive of our attackers, and to me, he is #1 choice at striker.

Agree on Friend. He won every ball played to him.

I'm not sure that he's the #1 but he should definitely be out there distributing.

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

Agree on Friend. He won every ball played to him.

I'm not sure that he's the #1 but he should definitely be out there distributing.

I don't think Occean lost a ball too and I like him more since he can play the role of a target man (maybe not with the same effectiveness as Friend) and can carry the ball and has good passing abilities.

Anyways I like our option up front but just like for our keeper we have to identify a starter soon and play him often.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

just watched the game again. really happy with the teams peformance, the formation really suits us.

I was very impressed with Bernier, he did all the little things right.

Will agree with that. This is actually the 1st time I've seen Bernier and been impressed with him to the same degree as some others have been in the past. Had a moment here and there worth forgetting but very, very, good disruptive and ball winning actions otherwise. Even got up in on a few plays later on.

Doesn't have any bite to him though does he? Say what you want about CONCACAF, a little more clever(nudge-nudge wink-wink) combined with some physical play in a destroyer role will go a long way amongst our opponents. Just got to find that sweet spot which balances physical with clever.

Yeah, good match by Bernier.

When I saw Friend's "mistake" in the box a lot of people including Gerry and Craig were calling it a botched shot. But didn't you notice Occean running to the back stick, and I assume he was calling for the ball. It looked like Friend was passing to the back post not shooting, and that's why he look so frustrated because Occean wasn't there not because he missed his shot. Friend is our best target forward for the chances he can create for our midfield and doesn't deserve the flak he's taking.

quote:Originally posted by MikeF

Hopefully we play South Africa in November. That's another game we have a definite chance to win.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the CSA in their infinite wisdom will not make that happen, citing cost as the main reason. If there was a game in November, I could be wrong but I think we would have known by now.

A damn shame.

quote:Originally posted by rodfern2007

I have a sneaking suspicion that the CSA in their infinite wisdom will not make that happen, citing cost as the main reason. If there was a game in November, I could be wrong but I think we would have known by now.

Not exactly, for example the June 1 friendly with Venezuela was announced on May 18 so it's not unusual to have international friendlies announced at the last minute.

So I'm finally back on the other side of the pond and I must say that I quite enjoyed my experience cheering on the boys from the south stands. The singing/chanting was good, but it could have been better IMO.

It seemed that we relied on 2 or 3 chants/short songs (and of course we had *no* long songs). The good thing is that everyone seemed quite willing to follow somebody in a megaphone so long as they had some idea what was going on. I still maintain that a song book would be a good idea, but this was a pretty good showing.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=596917.html#central+america+rehearsal

"That stalemate in the States was the first of two encounters for Costa Rica against sides expected to push them hard for a ticket to South Africa. Just three days later, they were in Toronto for another warm-up match, this time with Canada.

Considering the calibre of their opponents, the fact they were away from home and were down to ten men for virtually the entire second half, the Ticos had every right to be pleased with a 1-1 draw with the Canucks. Victor "Mambo" Nunez gave them the lead just after the break only for Randall Azofeifa to see red just moments later. Dwayne DeRosario completed the scoring with an equaliser for the Canadians on 54 minutes"

Archived