Canada vs. Costa Rica Match Thread (R)

Gian-Luca

Kind of off topic but could anyone tell me where most of those tico fans came from? Are most of them living here or does anyone know if they flew in from Costa Rica. Would bother the hell out of me to know those people live in or around Toronto and cheer against Canada. A few of them were douche bags.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Alex

Kind of off topic but could anyone tell me where most of those tico fans came from? Are most of them living here or does anyone know if they flew in from Costa Rica. Would bother the hell out of me to know those people live in or around Toronto and cheer against Canada. A few of them were douche bags.

Difficult to say because they were mainly in that one section on the east side and I was sitting on the other. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them were locals, if not all. There weren't that many of them in the end, so it would be reasonable to assume they were locals.

I talked to a couple of groups of them while on the way into the stadium, nothing too friendly mind, and some of the individuals couldn't speak English when I talked to them. Not sure what to make of that, but there we are.

I'd guess more than a few would have come up from the U.S. Maybe New York City area.

Also there was a male/female couple sitting in front of me who I'm pretty sure were more local. They disappeared at halftime.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2007/09/12/4491873-cp.html

This game report includes some new quotes, including Mitchell's comment that this game wasn't very friendly.

I think Neil must not have been aware that the reason why there were so few people in the upper tier of the west stands is because we weren't allowed up there! At least, not for the first half.

quote:Originally posted by Pawel

Black Wednesday's silver lining

By Ryan Johnston, Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO -- Fans arrived singing songs of protest but left with a feeling of promise as Canada and Costa Rica played to an entertaining 1-1 draw on "Black Wednesday" at the National Soccer Stadium in Toronto.

Shortly after the goal Mitchell made a pair of quick substitutions, bringing on Leicester City forward Iain Hume and Heracles Almelo (Netherlands) striker Rob Friend.

I was just scanning through this thread and saw this. I guess it would have helped if the CSA would have stated the club affiliations when they released lineup.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Nobody, including Craig Forrest and Brandon blamed the Tico antics for the tie. I assume you don't like us--and our media--criticizing Tico unsportsmanlike conduct--and the ref's inability to keep it in check--becuase you indeed endorse the Tico tactics? Come on, we can criticize the BS all we want. And good for Craig. The rest of the world's sports media is biassed towards the home team, why shouldn't ours?

I'm Canadian and have no ties with Costa Rica nor am I a Costa Rican fan.

But come on

First it's the CSA's fault, then the ref's fault, then Costa Rica's fault, then it's "THE ENTIRE CONCACAF STYLE OF PLAY", whats next. It's the weathers fault! The pitch is too wet!

Or here's a wild one, are you ready. Maybe Team Canada just isn't that good

I'm 90% certain most were Torontonians. I met a bunch at the Wheat Sheaf before the match...I doubt the Sheaf is the pub of choice for tourists from Costa Rica or NYC.

I am not sure, but I believe the Ticos were allowed to put an 11th player back on the field after a few minutes of being down to 10. Apparently the announcers didn't mention it, but I was at the game and I am pretty sure I counted 11 players for the Ticos after the red card.

Can anyone confirm this?

My take on the game. Canada currently has potentially the best midfield in Concacaf right now. We still lack in attack but that is standard for Canada. Our defense is clumsy but we have a number of options that should improve that.

Hutchinson and DeGuzman are excellent and will get even better.

Bernier is beginning to play like a poor man's Giberto Silva in that he keeps things simple and just plays the ball on to the open man. More time in Germany will make him even better.

Another Brazilian reference, the DeRosario goal reminded me of the Baptista goal in the Copa America final. Superb skill from both de Guzman and DeRosario on that one.

On the Attendance, I think it is not all that relevant. The key is exposure and it was on TV. It was an attractive game to watch so I suspect that tv fans of soccer who stopped for a moment to watch probably were more inclined to continue watching than with past Canadian friendlies.

quote:

I'm Canadian and have no ties with Costa Rica nor am I a Costa Rican fan.

But come on

First it's the CSA's fault, then the ref's fault, then Costa Rica's fault, then it's "THE ENTIRE CONCACAF STYLE OF PLAY", whats next. It's the weathers fault! The pitch is too wet!

Or here's a wild one, are you ready. Maybe Team Canada just isn't that good

Hey look everyone, it's "I told you so!" guy! Haven't seen one of these around in a while. These are "fans" who trash talk their own national teams because it makes them feel good to be better than something. I'll be your friend Rawdz it's ok, here I'll even hold your hand. How does a sport's governing body effect the results on the field, how can we possibly blame the CSA? If a company has staff that are as qualified as the staff at other companies, but the other companies are kicking its ass, that would be a management problem. Still with me? Now lets travel down the road to sports. In sports, see, referees make mistakes that ruin games. When they do it several times to one team, said team cries foul. That's a pretty human reaction isn't it? Fans from team A also tend to hate the players on team B, so when team B gives A fans a reason, A fans call them names. Simulation in football is cheating so yes, that does make Costa Rica a bunch of cheaters. That might sound too biased though, sorry for that.

Here's a wild one, we are good enough, and we're going to 2010. You seem like a really dedicated Canadian soccer supporter so I'm sure I'll see you there. Oh but if we don't make it? Durrrrrtold ya so!

I'm guessing it was a mix of Canucks and American Ticos. I noticed one Tico paying for his food with American dollars, but I also noticed a number wearing Roots Canada gear and Maple Leaf hats. I hung around BMO after the game to get my flag signed, and a number of the Ticos fans waiting around for the CRNT also hounded the Canadians for autographs.

That was fun! Let's do it again real soon!!

It wasn't much of a turnout but it was disctinctly Canadian and a true home game advantage for our side.

"Can you hear the Ticos sing?"

"I can't hear a fckin thing!"

Mister Mitchell made the right moves, am curious to see Hume try the lone striker role though. The ball stays on the ground and plays to feet with this midfield, maybe we don't need the big center forward?

Tam and Big Kev would make this team a true force! Bring on the Yanks!

Let's go to Azteca!

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Hey look everyone, it's "I told you so!" guy! Haven't seen one of these around in a while. These are "fans" who trash talk their own national teams because it makes them feel good to be better than something. I'll be your friend Rawdz it's ok, here I'll even hold your hand. How does a sport's governing body effect the results on the field, how can we possibly blame the CSA? If a company has staff that are as qualified as the staff at other companies, but the other companies are kicking its ass, that would be a management problem. Still with me? Now lets travel down the road to sports. In sports, see, referees make mistakes that ruin games. When they do it several times to one team, said team cries foul. That's a pretty human reaction isn't it? Fans from team A also tend to hate the players on team B, so when team B gives A fans a reason, A fans call them names. Simulation in football is cheating so yes, that does make Costa Rica a bunch of cheaters. That might sound too biased though, sorry for that.

Here's a wild one, we are good enough, and we're going to 2010. You seem like a really dedicated Canadian soccer supporter so I'm sure I'll see you there. Oh but if we don't make it? Durrrrrtold ya so!

Well in, Soju. You nailed it. We don't usually get very many of these types around here, and one has to wonder why he decided to finally post last night. He seemed impressed with how Canada played, but then proceeded--in subsequent entries--to crap all over them. Self-hating putz!

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Well in, Soju. You nailed it. We don't usually get very many of these types around here, and one has to wonder why he decided to finally post last night. He seemed impressed with how Canada played, but then proceeded--in subsequent entries--to crap all over them. Self-hating putz!

Re: Rawdz

The expression "concern-troll" comes to mind.

quote:Originally posted by canso

That was fun! Let's do it again real soon!!

It wasn't much of a turnout but it was disctinctly Canadian and a true home game advantage for our side.

"Can you hear the Ticos sing?"

"I can't hear a fckin thing!"

Mister Mitchell made the right moves, am curious to see Hume try the lone striker role though. The ball stays on the ground and plays to feet with this midfield, maybe we don't need the big center forward?

Tam and Big Kev would make this team a true force! Bring on the Yanks!

Let's go to Azteca!

I can only imagine our midfield if a certain younger brother came to play. Regardless, we were clearly the better team and our best players are better than theirs. We should fear no one in this Region.

I applaud all of the fans in South End. As always, you guys were awesome. And the sea of Black brought a smile to my face....thank you for all the support with the T-shirts (my credit card balance also thanks you).

Our Boys dominated. If we continue to play this way, we are going to south africa.

quote:Great De Rosario goal gives Canada 1-1 tie with Costa Rica in soccer friendly

By NEIL DAVIDSON

[snip]

A coalition of Canadian fan groups asked supporters to wear black at the game for "Black Wednesday" to protest upheaval at the Canadian Soccer Association. It was hard to tell the extent of the protest.

WTF!!?!??!:(

I have always enjoyed Neil's reporting but that comment has to be the worst thing he has ever written.

Did he not see the game? I watched on TV and the stadium looked like a majority black and of course the supporters end, that was a magnificent sea of black!

It was not, "hard to tell the extent of the protest" at all. Did I miss the memo where Neil was hired by the CSA? [:P]

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

I'm guessing it was a mix of Canucks and American Ticos. I noticed one Tico paying for his food with American dollars, but I also noticed a number wearing Roots Canada gear and Maple Leaf hats.

The latter might be tourists as well by that description.

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

I was just scanning through this thread and saw this. I guess it would have helped if the CSA would have stated the club affiliations when they released lineup.

"Radzinski, who is currently without a club, ended a one-year national team absence to play for head coach Dale Mitchell."

Do two mistakes of the same nature mean the CSA is a fault or should the reporter do a little more research for his story. Its easier to blame the CSA only, but ...

As for the game, I brought three friends with me; one of which was at his first soccer game. I don't think I'll have trouble getting them to come out again. We all had a good time, and it was great to see the MNT play and still be able to sleep in my own bed that night.

As for the ticket prices, the same people were not interested in attending until I saw the post on here about the cheaper tickets. If you're going to play the game anyway, then cutting prices in half, but getting twice the crowd would work out to a relatively similar income. Let alone the additional concessions.

quote:Originally posted by ted

WTF!!?!??!:(

I have always enjoyed Neil's reporting but that comment has to be the worst thing he has ever written.

Did he not see the game? I watched on TV and the stadium looked like a majority black and of course the supporters end, that was a magnificent sea of black!

It was not, "hard to tell the extent of the protest" at all. Did I miss the memo where Neil was hired by the CSA? [:P]

Davidson's on the CSA payroll...that's become obvious. :(

Archived