Canada vs. Costa Rica Match Thread (R)

Gian-Luca

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utter rubbish. It was just a friendly, but counts a lot towards Canada's ranking. God I hate watching Central American teams, and I'm glad to hear Craig Forrest not afraid to let his opinions be heard. If those teams want to play that way, they should expect to be criticised. I seriously think we wouldn't have a more difficult time qualifying for the World Cup if we had to qualify in Europe because we wouldn't have to face that sort of crap.

When you dominate a game that much, you HAVE TO create more opportunities

Good game by Canada, deserved to win, even if the defense wasn't sure

To add to my tactics comments of the half : Gerba was all alone in the center and the wingers had to help him sometimes. And when De Ro goes there... he scored !

Mitchell made the play physically... I think they will sleep well tonight !

For those at the stadium, as it was difficult to see on tv : how was Bernier ? and Hutch/Imhof ?

ag_futbol, that was actually tame compared to some of the stuff I've seen happen to Canada. That's why we get so upset, because it happens over and over and FIFA won't do anything about it, because they don't care about CONCACAF as long as USA and T&T are happy, and CONCACAF certainly aren't going to do Canada any favours.

What was the attendance 10k....so much for all the talk of Toronto support for Canada.

Having said that U-Sector and the Vees did a great job. Congrats guys. No slight against you...but a National Stadium is yet to be found. Uggg I hoped for better.

I thought we were by far the best side. Our skills on the ball were great. Certainly was a good sign. We were the best side.

Deguzman was spectacular.

We played the ball on the ground out of trouble....was that really a Canadian side?

Tie or not I am happy.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

Deguzman was spectacular.

Agreed. At one point in time I was unable to understand how we was playing for top teams (Hannover in the Bundesliga, at the time) when he failed to show much quality for Canada. Perhaps the time in Spain has had a great effect, or maybe it's the coaching and his role for Canada, but he has been dynamite in the past 5 or 10 matches.

Good team performance and I like the way we play, very positive but we need to create more chances especially when CR wasn't bunkering in front of their goal all game.

DeGuzman is excellent.

Nice goal by DeRo but I thought his play after that was a little bit erratic.

Someone lost 200 $. Tough to judge Hirsch tonight which is a good thing for the team in front of him.

Is it me or Occean looks like a much better passer than Gerba and he also has better control of the ball.

Serioux doesn't have the composure to play CB.

Message to Grizzly: Do you remember our arguments about the offside rule and the Oneywhu header in the GC? Look at Serioux's play at min 61 when he almost blew it, the call was offside because it wasn't consider regaining possession even if Serioux had 2 touch on the play (maybe more)....ok sorry abut that. :)

Great job to all the supporters who showed up to the game, but that was a horrible showing, especially for the national team.

DeGuzman showed his class today and I wish we got to see him play more often.

I'm so sick of playing these Central American teams who play with no class. On the plus side, after watching Canada play today, I'm not worried about WC qualifying as long as we get half decent refereeing.

Very disappointing about the result. It seems having the man advantage they still couldn't score. We still have a scoring and finishing problem. Also disappointing about the fan turn out. The only person I could see wearing black was the Costa Rican coach.

On a positive note was Dwayne D's goal and the excellent skills displayed by the Canucks such as ball control and passing. Nice to see and nice to see the team working well together. Nice to see a lot of substitutions.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Correction: Serioux doesn't have the composure to play CB against diving, play-acting, time-wasting twats like the Ticos.

Pretty much what I,m saying....he will cost us in WCQ if he plays there.

Do you think Serioux is the only defender to have to deal with those sort of tactic?

quote:Originally posted by rawdz

Game well played by Canada. They should have won with the extra man

Always glad to see Craig Forrest at his finest. Delivering his professional unbiased commentary. What a shmuck, how is he still employed.

How does pointing out the blatantly obvious make him a biased shmuck? The Ticos were absolutely disgraceful.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

disappointing about the fan turn out. The only person I could see wearing black was the Costa Rican coach.

Well for me it looks pretty empty at that stadium. It looked worse than the U20's in Edmonton. I mean thats stadium looked just as empty, but at least its over three times the size. At least half of the people at this game were wearing black.

Having looked up Tico in my Collins-Pedro English-Spanish dictionary, it apparently means: [noun] 1. a. one who wastes time b. One who play acts to fool gullible or paid off person of official capacity 2. Person who is an admirer of such a person, usually by supporting them at football matches. 3. One who instructs or coaches this type of behaviour

I don't want to sound too disappointed, but well, I'm a bit disappointed. That's the kind of game Canada will have to win in WCQ. They were at home, dominated play, and CR had only 10 men for almost a half. There is no real excuse for not winning a game like that, especially if Canada is expected to qualify for South Africa.

There's no point in getting upset about the diving and time wasting as it's going to happen regularly during qualifying. I wish the ref would be more strict about it, but the fact is, Canada will have to deal with and rise above that crap in order to qualify. It's not fair, but it is what it is, and they will have to be that much better to make sure it doesn't cost them points.

Jason

Solid game for the most part, though one lapse resulted in a goal, and a bit of fatigue and lack of finishing left us without the win we deserved. The Ticos looked better organized tonight than when we played them in Gold Cup, but we looked even better in comparison, and if we can continue on the current trajectory, then we should be a thorn in EVERY team trying to qualify in CONCACASS.

Hutch would have been nice for the second half in that he can make the sort of precise pass that breaks things open. These guys, keep in mind, have not played a tonne together, and if the aim for tonight was to see real improvement from the previous game, then I'd say we were successful.

As for Tico antics: Our guys have to learn how to play with passion and keep full composure. They are nasty little tics, these Ticos, but Hume and Serioux et al. need to keep their head in the game. You can't worry about how classy or unclassy the other team is. Waste of time. Focus on your game, bury your chances, and keep out of ****.

(Though, sometimes, the hockey-bred Canuck in me would love for Friend to clobber a Tico or two.)

Great game by Canada, despite only getting the draw. Rock solid all around.

Derosario now has 12 goals, and has a real opportunity to become Canada's all-time goal scoring leader.

DeGuzman was the best player on the field, and it was nice to see Serioux and Hirschfeld back on the field.

The bad publicity surronding the CSA definetly hurt attendance, but I was very impressed by the thousands in black. In fact, the majority of Canadian fans were in black. And not just in the supporter section, but the entire stadium.

I just got back from the game and I must say the boys looked good...cheers to the Red Patch Boys U-Sector and Voyageurs for being loud and proud.

I was in the south end behind the net and I must say the Ticos were a flop show to remember......It was brutal...I thought Canada played with composure, but I too thought they didn't keep going all out after Dero's goal....I like the substitutions Mitchel made for sure...too bad Atiba got hurt......would have been interesting after the red card if he was still in the midfield.....all in all I thought it was a good showing....

I am not too impressed with the fan support other than the supporters groups...but it was a friendly.......seems like Toronto fans need a purpose...I think as the team gets results and moves up the rankings the fans will come......give it some time..........We haven't had a National Team game in Toronto for 7 years.....but I am definitely proud to see the boys play!

Archived