Canada v Norway in-game/post game thread (R)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw 90% of the game this AM.

- We looked tired in the 2nd half. Norway not as much.

- Ball Control?? Very frustrating to watch how much we gave up the ball needlessly.

- Not enough short passing and too many long balls.

Other than that they held Norway pretty much with the first half. McLeod also had a great game today. Made some nice saves.

Watched the match, great start for Canada. We moved the ball around well. We got the first goal, but seems to fold offensively after that. In my opinion we needed to control an keep possession by trying to make a few passes together instead of sending a long ball every time we got the ball. Norway figured us out with that tactic, and the fact was we really didn't try anything else other than sending a long ball forward and hope for the best. Our keeper today Mc Leod was great receiving a total of 17 shots on net throughout this game, we really couldn't ask for more from her.

For Canada to win against this kind of opposition we need to develop a better passing and short game and integrate this into the current direct play we use at the present time.

Come'on girls I think we could still qualify for the second round. We can beat Ghana and Australia. GO CANADA!

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I saw 90% of the game this AM.

- We looked tired in the 2nd half. Norway not as much.

- Ball Control?? Very frustrating to watch how much we gave up the ball needlessly.

- Not enough short passing and too many long balls.

Other than that they held Norway pretty much with the first half. McLeod also had a great game today. Made some nice saves.

Echo everything you wrote. Faded after spending too much of the legs early.

Acres of space between the front line and defense seemed to me. Either the defense has to quit playing scared and push up to shorten the field or a linking player has to be found. Way, way too much space, too often, for too long of periods.

Think we were lucky today that it took the goal to wake up Norway. Norway look like they could be a very, very good side. Just not so much today.

Thought Norway was brilliant coming up the center. Consistently dangerous straight up the middle with direct attacking runs and balls through the middle. Both the central midfielder and the central defenders exposed it all game. Stensland is a machine; everything in the air, on the ground and generated great attacks.

I thought Pellerud was job hunting in New Zealand.

Australia beat China twice in the last month.

Norwegian media are pretty harsh about their team's first half, and but pleased with their performance in the 2nd. The Norwegians have a lot of respect for the Canadian women, and Sinclair got a lot of coverage here the last couple of days - all in all they throught this game was ripe for an upset and are relieved the Norwegian women pulled out the win.

Btw., interviews published here have Pellerud feeling homesick and contemplating returning home after the WC is over. His star is still pretty high in the home country, but I gather from some of your comments his image is a little more tarnished over there...

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Why take Tancredi out? I would have sent in Robinson for her instead of Wilkinson. Pellerud should have stayed at the hotel. What a useless prick. We could do well with just Bridge.

I thought Tancredi was looking tired out there. Pellerud has done wonders with the women's program over the years. But I agree that Bridge is ready to take over this team. It's definitely time for a change with that program.

The first 15 min or so was really great, both teams were going full bore, probablly the quickest womens match I can remember. After that the tempo slowed but the quality was still really good. Canada played brilliant 1st half. I thought Sinclair should have put them 2 ahead with her headed chance.

Norway stepped up in the second half and our front 3 just collapsed, whiether it was losing Tancredi, Tiredness for Sinclair/Lang, or defensive rejigging, (probably all three) put more and more pressure on our small midfield. I thought Matheson is greatly improved since last world cup (probably the only person in the "Makalele Role" actually shorter then o'l Claude himself...j/k) and with Schmidt covered the ground of a midfield four, they were great. Keeper' was fantastic, thought she could have controlled her 6yrd on the 1st goal other then that seemed perfect.

Tough loss, but good performance. We'll qualify if we play this well 2 more times.

Guest speedmonk42

Did anyone else get the feeling that Pellarud stuck his arse into this game at half time?

I didn't feel like breaking my TV in the first half, but then again, maybe I just woke up for the second.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Probably wishful thinking on your part speedmonk42. I'm pretty sure fifa means a suspension is a suspension. Even the announcer said that Pellarud was prohibited from using a cell phone to contact the bench. He probably sat in the stands during halftime and reviewed his notes.

Perhaps, but I can't imagine anything would keep from communicating if he wanted to.

Calling down to the bench is not the same as half time either.

It is not like he was sequesterd from humanity. (but if this were an option, I think it should be explored)

Missed the very start of this match, but there was 4 things right off the bat that I didn't think I would see.

1.Erin Mcleod starting in goal. I was worried that this meant Norway had scored 3 or 4 goals in the opening minutes to chase KL from goal. Great game by Erin after the shallacking she took this summer.

2.Tanya Dennis starting on D. She's kind of come back out of nowhere after her last big games years ago. She looked a little scared, but did okay considering.

3. Sophie Schmidt starting. I thought after missing some of the summer action that she would be a bench player, but she played very well I thought. Great ball winner. She has great anticipation in the middle and made some nice controlled passes. We need more of that.

4. Kara Lang passing to Melissa Tancredi for a break away. I believe in college she was a great defender, but on this team she is a forward?

Couldn't help but squirm everytime Chapman got her leg tangled up with another player fighting for the ball. How good would she be now if she hadn't had so many injuries? She has missed all those big games, it must have slowed her development tremendously. I think she has a huge upside for Canada, if she can stay healthy (so that she can develop and be fitter).

Archived