Mallett--changes needed, say CSA

"...People are saying they want a revolution and an overhaul," (CSA board member and financial director Vincent) Ursini said. "I want to wear a black shirt to the game, just to say that we are for change, too, but change doesn't happen overnight.

"We know we have to make changes, but we are in that process"..."

globesports

yes, change does not happen over night. We weren't expecting that. But certainly we could move a little faster than the current rate of change, Ursini. The issue didn't just come up. We JUST now got a National Team coach; we STILL do not have a CEO or a Technical Director, positions that have been left open for well beyond "over night." You elected a President whose very clear mandate was to professionalize the CSA, to make our national teams the clear focus, and by all accounts you would not--or could not--let him do the job he set out to do. Perhaps Linford was a putz--we'll never fully know--but the cards are on the table regarding the CSA's plodding, slothlike efforts to make change.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

The people need to change!!! If I was this incompetent for this long my boss would have fired me, why should this board be any different? Oh sorry boss I'm always in the middle of improving something, here's a list of excuses.

ahah, isn't that the truth.

We have them on the defensive now, isn't this great! Someone at the CSA actually has to put their name in the press to fend off criticism. So now when they scew up in the future we can all point and aim the firing squad at the guy who told us "reform was on the way".

quote:Originally posted by Ben Knight

Be firm, be civil -- and keep the pressure on. We've all got a real chance to force change here -- and the media is obviously listening.

Absolutely, because now they are assured there is actually an audience for this, especially in light of the growing popularity of the local game in Canada.

The key will be to keep things going with the media well after the game tomorrow.

Be firm, be civil -- and keep the pressure on. We've all got a real chance to force change here -- and the media is obviously listening.

Does that include being civil to Marty York for his smarmy comments in Metro this morning?

quote:Originally posted by the former Sportsnet doofus

"Today is Black Wednesday for Canadian soccer.

A group of soccer fanatics is convinced the sport's future in this country is bleak and wants fans at tonight's Canada-Costa Rica friendly in Toronto to wear black as an expression of frustration and hopelessness.

I really don't get it, either.

Well, if you had spent some time talking to us, or here in the threads, or knew anything about the sport in this country, Marty, you may "get it".

I've worked with Marty York.

He doesn't get it. Man oh glory, he doesn't get it!!

If Damien Cox from the Star weighs in on the protest, expect him to miss the point as well.

Stephen Brunt gets it. I expect Mary Ormsby of the Star will, as well. Those folks are the real deal. If they get it, there's no need to worry about York, Cox or Feschuk.

This thing is real, and it's going to stay that way. The good ones know.

I was working the web desk at Sportsnet a few years ago, all alone on the weekend. Marty called me from the NHL draft, with the "world exclusive" that Eric Lindros had just been traded to the Detroit Red Wings.

I trusted him. I ran with it. We all got burned.

A fellow doesn't forget stuff like that.

I love Marty York's scoops and predictions because its so funny in that none of them ever materialize. Yet, he is constantly writting about how his unnamed sources are telling him this and that.

The nightmare for soccer fans in this country would be to read piece from him whereby he states something along the lines of : " Canada will qualify for the next WCQ of soccer, you read it here first".

If Damien Cox from the Star weighs in on the protest, expect him to miss the point as well.

Stephen Brunt gets it. I expect Mary Ormsby of the Star will, as well. Those folks are the real deal. If they get it, there's no need to worry about York, Cox or Feschuk.

This thing is real, and it's going to stay that way. The good ones know.

Ben: I'm stunned that Metroland hasn't fired him yet over the Keith Pelly thing.

I was quite impressed with Ursini's comments in the Globe and Mail article.

If he is sincere, I will gladly eat my cost on 20 shirts for each and every member of the CSA Board of Directors. If they are wearing these shirts, then we've done something.

I really hope that the people at the CSA realize that we fans would be more than happy to be their allies during a restructuring process if they were really serious about it. if they are not, then the protests will need to continue.

BTW, I just spoke to a National Post reporter about the protest and he said he did not even know about tonight's game until he got MediaGuy's press release yesterday...that is shocking? Are the media supposed to go to the CSA website to find out upcoming fixtures?

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Interesting. The CSA when Linford resigned was very much of the attitude that business goes on as usual and that soccer was going no were but forward. Now the vice president has come out and said change is needed. You have forced them to change the tune of what they are saying, now lets push on and change what they are doing!

Which one is it Vince??? It was 'business as usual' in the last interview, now 'we know we have to make changes, but we are in that process'.

Sounds like Pipe had an understudy.

Burn it all down. Let these sad sacks admin the amateur game.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

"...People are saying they want a revolution and an overhaul," (CSA board member and financial director Vincent) Ursini said. "I want to wear a black shirt to the game, just to say that we are for change, too, but change doesn't happen overnight.

globesports

Actions speak louder then words, and I've had my fill of hearing things from the CSA and then seeing very litte actually change. Sportsnet has done far more in promoting the men's national team then the CSA ever has. Gerry Dobson for CEO?:D

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Is this something that you can share with us? whats the details or what did he say about Pelly. You have peaked my curiousity.

Got this story from the 13th man CFL football fans site.

August 30, York does this story talking about how Keith Pelly isn't coming around to the Argo offices, and speculates that it's because the Argos suck and he doesn't want to be around a losing team.

The reality is that Pelly and his wife and family are going through a terribly traumatic time. Their newborn son passed away Aug 4. Perry Lefko had the story here on Rogers' Sportsnet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/article.jsp?content=20070811_172009_4668

One enraged Argo fan phoned up York after York's story was published in metroland ... for the love of God, you didn't know what happened to keith's family? He asks Marty.

Marty's reply: didn't know a thing about it.

As a professional journalist, I can assure you: people have been fired for less. I don't have a clue why Metroland wouldn't have thrown him out of the building when they learned the truth.

Archived