WWC Results - September 11

fishman

Japan 2:2 England

USA 2: Korea DPR 2

Nigeria 1: Sweden 1

Three draws...it would appear that some lower ranked countries are closing the gap - Sweden is ranked #3, while Nigeria is #24.

The other two matches were projected to be close. Japan and England are close to a wash ranking-wise (10 and 12 respectively); USA is of course #1, while Korea DPR is #5.

This tournament might prove to be wide-open. Women's football is improving by leaps and bounds - technique, pace, tactical awareness, the works. Women's football has only been around at a significant international level since 1991 (the first WWC); those 16 years have seen the game move light years.

quote:Originally posted by fishmanWomen's football is improving by leaps and bounds - technique, pace, tactical awareness, the works.

But surely not in the defensive area. Based on what I saw in the highlights of North Korea vs USA and that Nigeria goal, well lets just say that a certain Canadian Under-20 player would fit in to this tournament quite nicely.

Besides that I am really looking forward to seeing Canada play. Just wondering, how much money is awarded to the winner? As much as I dislike the CSA, the more money they get the better.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

WWC winner get only $1M. So much for gender equity in the game from the FIFA suits w/ Blatter saying female soccer is the future of the game.

How isn't this fair? If FIFA gets less revenue from the Women's event, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the winner would get less money.

How much TV rights fees did FIFA get for the WWC? I'd bet the number is small in comparison to the Men's WC.

Next you'll be complaining that the UEFA Cup Winner gets less money than the Champions League Winner.

You're entire 'gender equity' stance is tiresome and weak quite frankly. Seems to be the only issue you really care about. Too bad it isn't based in reality.

Grow up and stop being such a big baby.

If FIFA says female soccer is the future, make the pot worthwhile. But at least they are going to expand the # of teams so thats a start.

Gender Equity is reality. If you don't understand that when almost 1/2 of the CSA is funded by females you better wake up because it puts at risk all governement funding that goes to the CSA & the PSO levels.

This is what happen in ice hockey which is 1/2 the size of soccer & has a female membership base of 15%

--------------

University of Saskatchewan to hire women's hockey coach

Canadian Press

September 7, 2007 at 8:17 PM EDT

The University of Saskatchewan will be hiring a full-time, high-performance women's hockey coach as part of a settlement which ends a long-running legal battle over the equality of the school's men's and women's hockey programs.

The university will also ensure that the funds for student athletic awards and player recruitment are the same for men's and women's hockey as part of the deal announced Friday.

It's a case that should serve as an example to athletic directors on campuses across the country, said one of the seven women involved in the original complaint to the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission.

"We feel very positive, perhaps victorious," said Rhonda Gough, a University of Saskatchewan alumnus, whose four daughters either attend or have graduated from the same school.

"It's only fair that both female and male students at this university and any university or educational institution are treated equitably."

Gough and the other women filed their complaint back in the spring of 2000.

None of the women were on the hockey team — they were mostly faculty and alumni — but they had heard about inequities from players and felt an obligation to speak up for those who might be too scared to come forward.

They argued that the men's team had more experienced coaches, a bigger budget, more public recognition and access to more competitive events.

Financial statements the group obtained from three years ago, for instance, showed that the men's team received $82,391 for a 28-game schedule and the women received $54,462 for 20 games.

Currently, the women's hockey coach is only part-time, works off campus and is paid on an honorarium basis. That's not the case with the men's coach.

Attempts by the university to have the complaint quashed by the commission, Court of Queen's Bench and the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal were all unsuccessful and the case was set to be heard by a human rights tribunal.

Friday's settlement averts that process and Bill Seymour, the university's acting athletic director, said he thinks everyone will now be able to move on.

"To have a full-time coach now is excellent," Seymour said

"From now on all money will be equal. It was close already but now we just top up a little bit of the women's to make it even with the men's as far as recruiting, scholarships, those kind of things."

Seymour could not give a price tag for the settlement. University officials says it will be hard to know that until the coach is actually hired, likely next spring.

A full-time hockey coach for the women's team was always a goal the university had set and the settlement ending up being a way to accomplish it, Seymour said.

"We'd love to have a full-time track coach, we'd love to have a full-time wrestling coach — we're always looking for ways to do those things," he said.

"I can't say for sure whether it would have happened or when it would have happened but it was a goal, we were looking at it, and I think the settlement has allowed us to move ahead with this new direction."

But Gough doesn't think anything would have been done if it weren't for the complaint.

"Often those systemic discrepancies are just part of the system — it's how we treat men, how we treat women," she said.

"We will take credit for the nudging, prodding and cajoling that has gone on through the process of the complaint."

If FIFA says female soccer is the future, make the pot worthwhile. But at least they are going to expand the # of teams so thats a start.

Gender Equity is reality. If you don't understand that when almost 1/2 of the CSA is funded by females you better wake up because it puts at risk all governement funding that goes to the CSA & the PSO levels.

This is what happen in ice hockey which is 1/2 the size of soccer & has a female membership base of 15%

Why do you have to turn every thread into a gender equity debate? Can't you get your own blog? So the 2 people who agree with you can comment?

The fact is that there is no issue. Just a bunch of people with agendas who keep digging in, hoping the issue sticks.

I can't see why, MA, you would say " the fact is that there is no issue." There is an issue. You might not like the issue, you may want to talk about something else, but the reality is that in our culture, female athletes are not regarded as highly as males.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

I can't see why, MA, you would say " the fact is that there is no issue." There is an issue. You might not like the issue, you may want to talk about something else, but the reality is that in our culture, female athletes are not regarded as highly as males.

The only real issue is overall CSA incompetence.

The proof that the women had great prep for the WWC is there. Sure, I wish they had played at least one home game. I don't even understand why they couldn't set something up for BMO Field. I would have been there.

But there is also a fact that generally, women's sport is not as popular as men's. Until the women are playing in packed stadiums and tv viewership (worldwide) is comparable to the men's game, whining about the prize money is fleeting.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

But there is also a fact that generally, women's sport is not as popular as men's. Until the women are playing in packed stadiums and tv viewership (worldwide) is comparable to the men's game, whining about the prize money is fleeting.

But what about my point about the Beach World Cup having the prize money of one million? How popular is Beach Soccer?

MA what proof do you have that the WNT had great prep for the WWC. That's not what the WNT has said so it's really just your opinion. Linford stated that if the CSA hosted a WNT game in Canada it would bankrupt the CSA. Bad management sure but also too much focus on the MNT which Linford stated as the only team.

It doesn't matter if women's sports are not as popular as men's in the media. If you have a NSO which is 1/2 female it puts the NSO under the radar to women & the governments when females are not treated equally. Governments can't support enitities like that. Yes, it's a problem in the CSA among the other CSA issues but as a problem it's the one that sticks out like a sore thumb.

FIFA is moving ahead w/ expanding female soccer -

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2007/09/11/sepp-blatter.html

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

But what about my point about the Beach World Cup having the prize money of one million? How popular is Beach Soccer?

While I don't doubt your assertion, I think the answer is obvious. There must have been just as much or more revenue in it for FIFA. Judging by the other soccer forums I visit, there was a lot more interest in Beach Soccer than the WWC. Canadians have a false view of the WWC because of the state of the game here. Most of the rest of the soccer world doesn't care like we do. Sometimes reality sucks.

MA what proof do you have that the WNT had great prep for the WWC. That's not what the WNT has said so it's really just your opinion. Linford stated that if the CSA hosted a WNT game in Canada it would bankrupt the CSA. Bad management sure but also too much focus on the MNT which Linford stated as the only team.

It doesn't matter if women's sports are not as popular as men's in the media. If you have a NSO which is 1/2 female it puts the NSO under the radar to women & the governments when females are not treated equally. Governments can't support enitities like that. Yes, it's a problem in the CSA among the other CSA issues but as a problem it's the one that sticks out like a sore thumb.

FIFA is moving ahead w/ expanding female soccer -

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2007/09/11/sepp-blatter.html

And on the flipside, its only your opinion that it exists. Loyola has already showed us that the Canadian women had the 4th best preparation of all participants in this cup.

As per prize money, if you think that is a gender equity issue, you are out of your mind.

You are the most frustrating person to debate with. You constantly bring in tangential points that have a vague relevance to the issue at hand.

I think its time I leave this issue as well. Going in circles makes me dizzy.

Here's one of my post in another thread, please tell me how this is not good prep compare to other teams (most of them to my knowledge didn,t have a residency program). The quality of the prep should be measure by the number of games and times pass together before a big tournament.

Our WNT has had a residency program for the first part of the 2007 year and since then have played in 11 international games.

Among the others teams at this year WWC, here's some of the stats about games they've played in 2007:

USA 15

Germany 14

Australia 13 (5 of those games had crazy scorelines like 10-0)

Canada 11

Norway 10

Brazil 10

England 9

New Zealand 9

Denmark 7

There's no reason for us not to perform well with that kind of prep if you compare it to the other teams in the tournament.

That is great info but what were the quality of the teams that they were playing? Were any of them top 9? How many home games were played?

The US program is huge w/ a multi million dollar budget for their WNT ours was $150k from the CSA.

The Euro teams have a women's league.

Residency programs like the team said needed to be supported by games vs top competition vs going overseas to play 10+ teams.

Why does the number of home games matter to you??? We're preparing for a WC in China, not in Canada, so playing away is the best prep for this team. While I agree that it would've been nice to see the team play one or two games in Canada, I can't accept the argument that this team isn't well prepared.

All the teams I listed did play some minnows and some top 10 teams.

You have to explian to us what did England, Norway, Brazil and Germnay prep had more than what Canada had?

For background material from the WNT view see the below -

CBC National TV - Canada's Women's Soccer Team Cash Crunch

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/player/

CBC TV News Section

Look for the title

Canada's Women Prepare for China

GlobalTV BC the interview of the WNT months ago w/ Randene Neill is at

http://www.vegsa.ca/downloads/Womens%20Soccer%20Issue.avi

The site is slow along w/ the quality so you are better to download it.

CBC Radio One WNT interviews now on the CBC FIFA U20 Site in 3 segments

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/fifau20/

Click on Video in the blue Navigation Menu accross the top which takes you to this link

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/player/

Click on CBC Radio One

There are 3 interviews to click on

Women's WC Preparation

Equal Opportunity

The Pursuit of Attention

The men's world cup generated revenues of $2.8 billion CHF (Swiss francs). The winners received $24.5 million CHF. Overall prize money totalled $332 million or about 12% of revenue generated.

Anybody have the corresponding figures for the WWC? If the total prize money is a penny less than 12% of revenue generated, I think we can put the bed the gender equity whining.

What is the price structure for games at the WWC? I bet that the ticket prices are lower than the tickets for the Men's under 20 tournament and they were pretty low. China might pack the stadiums but I bet they are very low cost tickets. I doubt very much that WWC will ever make much money unless they hold it in the U.S. again. Canada might do ok with attendance because interested fans from the U.S. might deceide to give us a visit if they have up to date passports that is.

Archived