Black Wednesday--where we stand

Two press releases went out in the last 12-hours. We have already received some interest from both the soccer specific media and the mainstream media.

Another release is going out later today.

Our "talking points" for any media interviews will be the following

1- This is not about Colin Lindford. We have no position on his leadership.

2- We want the CSA restructured with a greater focus placed on elite programs and if the CSA is unwilling to restructure, we want it disbanded.

3- We feel that there is more than enough talent for Canada to qualify for South Africa. It just needs greater support.

4 - Wear black Wednesday, but come to cheer. Also, we will urge people to come out regardless of whether they wear black (although we hope that they do).

In the release we are suggesting that supporters outside of the GTA wear black while watching the game at their favourite local pub. I encourage you to contact your local media if you are going to go to watch with a group...it would look better coming from a local person when you are contacting local media.

Also, those that want to support this are encouraged to send brief, professional e-mails to media members asking them if they plan to cover the protest, or make mention of it in some way. The more voices the better.

When contacted for more information, I am indicating that there are some dissenting voices within the community. I have pointed them here (and the other boards) to look for themselves.

We are not calling ourselves Voyageurs, but rather a coalition of supporters from many different groups.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

It was very similar to what I originally wrote, but I will re-post in a bit.

Meanwhile...

1010 CFRB - tomorrow at 1:30 EST. Please listen and call in.

Are you going to be on with the Motts? That's funny.

Good on you for pulling that off, they rarely talk about sports on that station and they have a much bigger audience than the Fan or 640.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Are you going to be on with the Motts? That's funny.

Good on you for pulling that off, they rarely talk about sports on that station and they have a much bigger audience than the Fan or 640.

Yep...the Motts. I was surprised, but glad to take their call. VPjr will likely be doing the talking.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Is this press release similar or the same as the one VPjr sent me for the podcast?

Black Wednesday at the National Soccer Stadium

A coalition of Canadian soccer fans is convinced that the future of Canadian soccer is black.

As such, the group is calling on all fans attending the September 12 friendly between Canada and Costa Rica to wear black to the game as a symbol of their frustration about the state of the game in this country. Fans living outside of the greater Toronto area are asked to wear black while watching the game at their favourite pub.

We believe that without significant changes to the way the sport is administrated in Canada there is little hope that Canada will ever see success at an international level.

Specifically, we are calling for a more professional, efficient and accountable environment at the Canadian Soccer Association, with the express purpose of better cultivating our elite players and national programs. If the current CSA administration is unwilling to change its way of operation, we are asking that it be disbanded by government and replaced with a new organization.

We don't believe Canada's failure to thrive at the sport is a lack of talent problem; we believe it's a CSA problem.

Please join us Sept. 12 by wearing black to the National Soccer Stadium.

The coalition mostly consists of fans from the Voyageurs, Canada's oldest pro-Canada supporters club, and the two largest Toronto FC supporters clubs, the Red Patch Boys and U-Sectors. About 500 T-shirts have been sold (at $5/each, below cost) to supporters who plan to wear them to the game.

For more information, or to set up an interview with protest organizer (cutting contact info).

A coalition of Canadian soccer fans is convinced that the future of Canadian soccer is black.

With the likes of Julian De Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson, Patrice Bernier, Ali Gerba, Olivier Occean, Adrian Serioux, Kennedy Owusu-Ansah and Jamie Peters likely to be on the team for years to come, it certainly is! ;)

On a more serious note, the rest of the release is good. Nice to see that you took out the word "hopelessness" that was in the earlier draft.

Unfortunately I will not be able to tune in at that time, so if someone can summarize that would be helpful.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

With the likes of Julian De Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson, Patrice Bernier, Ali Gerba, Olivier Occean, Adrian Serioux, Kennedy Owusu-Ansah and Jamie Peters likely to be on the team for years to come, it certainly is! ;)

The first think I thought too. And aren't we glad about the darkness and lightness the future holds? I sure am, black is beautiful baby.

Yep...the Motts. I was surprised, but glad to take their call. VPjr will likely be doing the talking.

CFRB runs promos for each of its hosts, talking about what issue they will discuss today. At 7:50 AM, I heard the Motts promo, and they said they will be talking about the soccer protest.

Once again, great work on setting this up.

Archived