Germany pounds Argentina

fishman

Germany began its defence of its title in record fashion by hammering Argentina 11-0 Monday in Shanghai in the opening game of the FIFA Women's World Cup.

The Germans, who won the 2003 tournament in the United States, jumped to a commanding 4-0 lead inside half an hour and never looked back as they crushed the hapless Argentines in the Group A contest.

Germany broke the previous record for the largest victory in tournament history — Norway registered an 8-0 win over Nigeria in 1995, four years after Sweden beat Japan by the same score.

Considering it was a high scoring win for Germany it was a good game to watch. The Germans looked like they might score when ever they had the ball. The world class skills of the Germans really made Argentina look poor. The Argentina keeper must have wanted the game to finish then after letting in the first. At HT she must have wanted to be subbed after the other own goal at 11-0 she probably wanted to go back to Argentina.

The best player for Argentina Potassa had a quiet game and as for Prinz of Germany she is probably the hot favourite to win the Golden Boot even at this early stage of the tournament

Blatter came out with one of his dumbest all time statements today. He said the field at the WWC should be increased to 24 teams to help avoid blowouts like this. [:o)]

I do think it was a mistake to schedule such a mismatch as the only game on opening day. I'm not suggesting they fix the draw, but after the draw is made they should've picked the most competitive match out of first 2 games played in Group A to open up the tournament with (in other words, England v Japan).

I imagine I'm not the only one in the world who watched the opening match and haven't seen another match since.

Archived