TORONTO FC ACADEMY

AEDIFICAMUS

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

Sorry, I misspell I meant REP teams.I don't want to name the club this is not advertising site.

I write this from my experience so I might be wrong don't get upset please.If you know more about academies let me know.

We practice twice weekly all year around and games on weekends for U7 to U9 and for U10 and up three or four times a week year around plus games and all this for $800 to $1100 per year depends of age.Club makes money in house leagues not the REP teams.I'm went for few Academy tryouts and I wasn't impressed at all,I will be going to more acadamies in future until,but until I see the skill level of kids being higher than in REP teams I'm not going to let him to any Academy.And if you trying to tell me that academies are not money makers why are you charging 3 times more for same amount of practices and less games per year.By us every coach has coaching license from his old country before he made Canadian license,and there are no fathers or sponsors connections they can make any kid play more than he deserves.

Now I'm writing about us I don't know how it is in other youth clubs,but what I was able to see during tournaments other clubs are similar.Here is the video that we give every parent to see before they decide to join us.

I think you will agree with me that North American way is wrong way to teach.

http://www.streamingsportsnet.com/gasoccer.html

Cheers

I appreciated that, there are things there for me to learn as a parent. Especially about shutting up and letting kids have fun and make mistakes. Let's see if I can do it this season watching my boy.

The video above all seems to be directed to parents, but I think it is not exactly right on what sort of training kids do. I don't believe kids in North America are doing the same drills as kids in Brazil, or at least not in the same way. An example is that in NA kids are sent out to warm up by doing a few laps or sprints, while in quality soccer skill countries they run with the ball at their feet, each with his own ball, and they warm up that way. Another key is to make sure kids are not standing in a line waiting to do a skill -especially terrible when it is cold- there should be two or three lines and less waiting. and if that means not all are shooting on the same goal, well who cares.

Anyways, I have to say from watching my kid's class playing school futsal, that the level is in fact higher than the U8s shown in this video. Mind you my kid is in a class of 25 kids and 18 are boys, and they are all quite into the game, and all happen to be Barça fans so they are very tuned into each other, on the same soccer wavelength (not normal here, normally you'd have a few Real Madrid and Espanyol fans, but none in my kids class). Since preschool they regularly beat kids in higher grades, in grade one they were as good as the grade threes. So maybe they are an exceptional group. They train a bit differently, as they don't really emphasize dribbling as much and not as much trickery either, but perhaps are more solid than those Brazilian U8s in positional play, they open up well in attack, pass out, rarely lift the ball and if it is bouncing settle it. Always pass out from the keeper. They do throw ins, and I agree with what is said here that it is a mistake. Indeed one of the most tiring things about kids soccer is hearing them argue about outs and corners and fouls, they waste a lot of time worrying about a ball being 5 inches out. Coaches here could learn a bit about killing all that and just focussing on getting the ball back in play, even in a semi-serious scrimmage.

Another comment about what I see here: most all can play any position, which is interesting, my kid can play anything from goal to defense to mid to attack quite competently. Another good thing, is don't peg a kid too early in a position. I find that almost all of them want a turn in goal every now and then, they find it fun. So there is no official keeper at age 8. Only with the weaker kids maybe it makes sense for their self-esteem to play a position they are better at, as it gives them confidence and helps keep their prestige intact in the group.

I shared that video with our coach and club president.Unfortunatly they agreed in general idea,but according to them there is always pressure to win every game,if we don't have a wining team parents will take kids to other club with the wining team,because they think their kid will learn more there.BTW my kid is U8 and statement like that is a joke,win every game.Kids game became our game and that bad.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

http://oimparcial.site.br.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14256

Escolinhas: fábricas de minicraques

09-Set-2007

JOELLSON BRAGA

DA EQUIPE DE O IMPARCIAL

Ao contrário do que muitos pensam, futebol também se aprende na escola. Pode ser em um campo com grama, de terra batida, ou mesmo em um estádio, o local não importa quando o sonho é se tornar um craque. Em São Luís, as escolinhas de futebol estão por todos os cantos e atraem um grande número de crianças que buscam fama e independência financeira para si e seus familiares. Mas para ingressar em uma escolinha de futebol, hoje, depende de alguns critérios, que vão do financeiro ao estar matriculado em uma escola do ensino regular.

Há dois meses funcionando no Grêmio Lítero Recreativo Português, o Centro de Formação de Craques, comandado pelo ex-jogador Raimundinho, que atuou nos principais clubes da capital, vem trabalhando com mais de 100 jovens, que desembolsam R$ 50 mensais para desenvolver os fundamentos do futebol. “O craque nasce feito, mas aqui nós lapidamos o talento”, analisa o ex-jogador. A desconfiança ainda é o maior adversário, segundo Raimundinho.

Para quem não pode pagar, existem as escolinhas públicas. Desenvolvido há oito anos em parceria com os departamentos autônomos dos bairros, a Fundação Municipal de Desportos e Lazer (Fundel), mantém um projeto com 51 escolinhas, onde jovens de 9 a 17 anos podem praticar futebol. Apesar de não ter a revelação de talentos como objetivo principal, o projeto já revelou alguns craques como o volante Márcio Araújo, que atou no Atlético Mineiro, e mais recente o lateral-esquerdo Raí, do Sampaio. O jovem de 22 anos freqüentava a escolhinha do bairro da Vila Embratel e chamou a atenção de alguns olheiros que o levaram para o Tricolor.

O projeto das escolinhas públicas é desenvolvido na periferia da cidade, tem mais de 4 mil atletas inscritos e o futebol serve como inclusão social. Mas para participar o jovem deve freqüentar a sala de aula. Entre os instrutores, ex-atletas como Bimbinha, ex-Sampaio na década de 80, e o experiente Paulo César, que atualmente faz parte do elenco tricolor.

Os bons resultados já começam a aparecer. No ano passado, os atletas das escolinhas públicas disputaram na cidade de Itararé, São Paulo, a Copa Mercosul de futebol de Base. Conseguiram ficar entre os cinco primeiros lugares, além de atrair os olhares de muitos empresários do Sul do país.

O esporte mais popular do Brasil a cada ano revela muitos talentos nas escolinhas de futebol, onde os jovens dão os primeiros passos em busca do sonho de ser um grande craque. O acompanhamento da família é fundamental para que o sonho não vire um pesadelo e um atleta de potencial vire mercadoria nas mãos dos “empresários” do futebol.

PARA ATINGIR O OBJETIVO

1. Treinar desde os 5 ou 6 anos é importante. É uma idade de adaptação e as crianças chegam mais ‘’prontas’’ à próxima fase

2. É indiferente começar no clube, no colégio ou em escolinhas de futebol. Se a intenção for jogar profissionalmente, é melhor procurar uma escola que investe em copas estudantis. Daí surgem muitos intercâmbios com os clubes

3.Praticar outros esportes é desejável. Natação aumenta a capacidade cardiorrespiratória e atletismo dá mais mobilidade a zagueiros e velocidade a atacantes

4. É fundamental destacar que o futebol é uma atividade coletiva.

5. Companheirismo, respeito e lealdade são valores que podem ser facilmente aprendidos no futebol.

6.O esporte também ensina a lidar com as diferenças

7. Para os pais. Incentivar os filhos é diferente de pressioná-los.

8. É muito importante estar ao lado dos pequenos nos jogos. Mas não se deve exigir nem esperar que eles sejam perfeitos.

9. Também é improdutivo ameaçar cortar o futebol se o boletim for ruim. Funciona mais mostrar que um jogador ignorante não tem futuro

10. Ir ao estádio, assistir aos jogos pela TV ou ver DVDs de craques. É bom para aprender jogadas. Cabe aos treinadores orientar como realizá-las depois

An example of a Brasilian soccer school to produce players.. 100 students paying .. 50 reals or 25 per month...( a basic minimum wage is pegged at $200.00 cdn a month for a worker). A public program is provided for free with ex pros .. under the sponsorship of the city recreation ..department. The listing of development points..makes some good comments regarding parents not pressuring the player... but being supportive.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

The listing of development points..makes some good comments regarding parents not pressuring the player... but being supportive.

Regarding parents here is the letter we gave our parents but for some reason many of them didn't get the massage.

A LETTER TO PARENTS FROM COACH

The following letter, in various forms, appears on websites and in hand-outs of youth soccer clubs throughout Canada and the United States. The original author is unknown. Whoever wrote it, they obviously knew, first-hand, how much positive or negative influence parents have on their child's soccer experience.

A Letter to Parents from a Coach

1. Soccer is a team sport.

2. If you think your child is better than the other kids on the team--congratulations. You probably fall into the majority of soccer parents. However, this is largely irrelevant.

(See # 1.)

3. If you want your child to improve his/her skills and performance, then leave it the coaches. The parents' jobs are to: pay, drive, and offer positive support. Great soccer parents come to games and shout FOR their kids -- not AT them!

4. If you think you can offer good advice to one of the coaches, then see the team manager and arrange to take the coaching certification exam. If you want to coach from the side-lines without coming to team practices, team meetings, team camps, coaches clinics, coaches meetings -- please, keep the advice to yourself until you can watch soccer on TV and tell those guys what to do.

5. Communication is very important. If anything at all is bothering your child, let the coach know as soon as possible so that he/she has an opportunity to adjust if possible to make your child's experience more rewarding and enjoyable. If you really want to destroy a team, tell everyone except the coach about your child's problem. Talk about it and complain about it with the other parents all season and never let the one person who can fix it know that there is a concern.

6. If you think you can offer good advice to a referee, see # 5 above.

7. A soccer match is not won or lost by any child (see # 1 above).

8. To play well during the season, our children must come together as a team, support each other, and communicate with and trust each other. The coaches and children will accomplish this if we don't undermine their efforts. However, if you disagree with the foregoing statements, undermining can be easily accomplished by using any of the following tactics: criticising the efforts of your child... telling your child he/she is the most/least important and best/worst player on the team... telling your child that another child on the team is lousy or has deficiencies... yelling negative comments during practices or games... criticising the decisions or strategies of the coaches... hollering at the referees... or claiming that victory or defeat was the responsibility of any child, yours or someone else's.

9. The three most important things a parent can say to their child after a game, win or lose, are:

"I enjoyed watching you play."

"I love you."

"What would you like to eat?

(Author unknown.)

Cheers

Regarding parents here is the letter we gave our parents but for some reason many of them didn't get the massage.

A LETTER TO PARENTS FROM COACH

The following letter, in various forms, appears on websites and in hand-outs of youth soccer clubs throughout Canada and the United States. The original author is unknown. Whoever wrote it, they obviously knew, first-hand, how much positive or negative influence parents have on their child's soccer experience.

A Letter to Parents from a Coach

1. Soccer is a team sport.

2. If you think your child is better than the other kids on the team--congratulations. You probably fall into the majority of soccer parents. However, this is largely irrelevant.

(See # 1.)

3. If you want your child to improve his/her skills and performance, then leave it the coaches. The parents' jobs are to: pay, drive, and offer positive support. Great soccer parents come to games and shout FOR their kids -- not AT them!

4. If you think you can offer good advice to one of the coaches, then see the team manager and arrange to take the coaching certification exam. If you want to coach from the side-lines without coming to team practices, team meetings, team camps, coaches clinics, coaches meetings -- please, keep the advice to yourself until you can watch soccer on TV and tell those guys what to do.

5. Communication is very important. If anything at all is bothering your child, let the coach know as soon as possible so that he/she has an opportunity to adjust if possible to make your child's experience more rewarding and enjoyable. If you really want to destroy a team, tell everyone except the coach about your child's problem. Talk about it and complain about it with the other parents all season and never let the one person who can fix it know that there is a concern.

6. If you think you can offer good advice to a referee, see # 5 above.

7. A soccer match is not won or lost by any child (see # 1 above).

8. To play well during the season, our children must come together as a team, support each other, and communicate with and trust each other. The coaches and children will accomplish this if we don't undermine their efforts. However, if you disagree with the foregoing statements, undermining can be easily accomplished by using any of the following tactics: criticising the efforts of your child... telling your child he/she is the most/least important and best/worst player on the team... telling your child that another child on the team is lousy or has deficiencies... yelling negative comments during practices or games... criticising the decisions or strategies of the coaches... hollering at the referees... or claiming that victory or defeat was the responsibility of any child, yours or someone else's.

9. The three most important things a parent can say to their child after a game, win or lose, are:

"I enjoyed watching you play."

"I love you."

"What would you like to eat?

(Author unknown.)

Cheers

I've just copied and pasted this letter and will be giving a modified version of this to my parents next season. I had mostly great parents on my team this year but it still amazes me how much they yell at their kids to do something. It actually rubs off on the coach.

Early in the season, I tried my best to let the kids play and just get involved vocally if I see something wrong (like a kid trying to score in the wrong net or rough play). The rest of the time, I just tried to get the dissinterested kids to be more interested in what was going on on the field. However, as the season wore on, I found myself stage managing the kids too much and made the conscious decision to stop for the last couple of games and i felt the kids played better.

I know parents get excited but they need to let their kids have fun. However, it's typical of society in general these days. Parents dote over their children constantly these days. Kids don't get much opportunity to play without parental supervision anymore. My parents used to just open the front door and let me play with my neighborhood friends. As long as we stayed out of trouble and made it home for dinner, parents did not get involved much. Now, if I try to do the same with my kids, my wife will kill me and my kids will have no one to play with because you just don't see many young kids outside, and I live on a quiet street. Parents seem to try to over manage every element of their children's lives these days so it's no surprise that they don't know how to relax at the soccer games (or hockey games for that matter).

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Another similar resource, for anyone interested:

http://www.academysoccer.ca/docs/Conduct.pdf

Because of this policy, we have no problem getting quality refs to do our games, even though we are not recognized by the CSA/OSA...

Why not? What’s the deal here? I heard this last week, we were approached to play exhibition game vs academy and we were told we can't get insurance/travel permit from our district because we are playing against Soccer academy.WTF is the deal here?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Surely you guys can find another sandbox to play in. This has sfa to do with our national teams.

Nothing wrong with discussing this topic, they only need a mod to move it to the TFC forum. Until then, I have no problem with them talking about it here.

Why not? What’s the deal here? I heard this last week, we were approached to play exhibition game vs academy and we were told we can't get insurance/travel permit from our district because we are playing against Soccer academy.WTF is the deal here?

This is just a wild guess, but it might have something to do with the CSA not wanting competition or alternate channels to its club system .

How could there not be a clear set of rules/requirements for a soccer club/academy to become registered with the CSA (I believe all clubs should be registered first by the national body and then, as a result, that registration is recognized by the province where the club exists?

If you have clear standards, there can be no criticism if you don't get recognized/registered because it means you fail to meet the agreed upon standards.

In my opinion, community based amateur clubs need to be restructured. Purely recreational leagues have a role to play in the Canadian soccer universe but right now it seems to me that rec soccer is treated as being the top of the pyramid rather than the bottom of the pyramid.

If I could blow it all up and start over, all community clubs, in order to become registered by the CSA, would be required to field a senior "professional" team (minimum of a U21 team but ideally both a U21 team and a senior pro team that could play in a league like the CSL) and they would all have an academy program (rather than the current Rep Team system) that would feed the senior squads. In my perfect world, Academy players don't pay to play above a certain age group (U15 ideally) and, of course, pro players get paid to play. These programs would be in addition to the Recreational (House League) programs that would provide the revenue to fund these programs.

In my dream world, I would also force local clubs to merge so that we would have fewer local clubs, which in turn, would give these super clubs the economies of scale necessary to be able to fund professional programs and academy programs quite easily. I would only register 1 club for every 200,000 to 250,000 residents in an area.

I live in Mississauga...why are there 6 clubs? Imagine if a city like Mississauga had only 3 clubsto serve the 700,000+ population. Administratively, I am sure that it would be challenging but the revenue generated by those clubs would be impressive. There would be fewer spots available in the academy programs, making it more difficult to make those teams, thereby bringing up the quality of talent competing to move up to the Pro level.

I know I am dreaming in technicolor but I can't see how soccer in this country will ever really grow without more emphasis on developing senior professional or semi-professional soccer in this country, especially in the provinces with the number of players that make it feasible (Ontario, Quebec, BC)

Archived