TORONTO FC ACADEMY

AEDIFICAMUS

I know Paul at TFC has hinted at what they will do with their academy. I just hope they follow the Whitecaps lead and make it a real academy (where players are invited to play rather than have to pay to play, especially at the U17 level and above). Anything else will not be acceptable to me personally. This can't be a profit center for TFC. This must be something that results in short term costs with the hope of long term gains.

Plus, it should be a stand alone program rather than affiliated with some local youth club. They should go into competition with the other youth rep programs and private elite travelling teams that exist. t will create competition for the local youth clubs to create their own academies, even it forces them to join forces with foreign clubs to make it feasible, because they won't want to lose their best players to TFC.

This should be treated as a huge priority for TFC and for Canadian soccer in general. If Impact follow suit in Montreal, this will be the single biggest development for elite player development in this country in 20 years (and the CSA will have had little or nothing to do with it).

Keep 1 thing in mind...there is no guarantee that all players in the academy will be Canadian, and frankly, I don't think every spot should be guaranteed to Canadian kids. Foreign players can bring different qualities to the table and our youth would be well served by having to compete for spots with a good foreign player. The Duze mentioned last night on the Soccer Show that there are at least 3 foreign youngsters that will be part of the 16 players invited to their U17 team. I think 3 of 16 is a very reasonable ratio.

quote:Originally posted by rick10

Why would you want to stop players from going to europe?

In any case the toronto fc academy should help players go to europe. You can not compare the level of MLS with the european level.

Why would you not want to stop player from going Europe. Isn't that the point of having an academy?

Why else have an academy if youth talent has to go to third rate club's academeny in Europe ( never to seen and heard from again )?

In any case the toronto fc academy should help players go to europe. You can not compare the level of MLS with the european level.

Is the water is better in europe. Or is the grass is greener. There are a gazillion levels of play in europe and they're not all one in the same. A few are great but many are lower than even the lynx.

What good is it to have an academy if youth players keep going to europe.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Why would you not want to stop player from going Europe. Isn't that the point of having an academy?

Why else have an academy if youth talent has to go to third rate club's academeny in Europe ( never to seen and heard from again )?

Garbage!! Sorry, but I asm tired of hearing this nonsence. Next, you will try to tell us the water is better in europe. Or the grass is greener. Why cant people understand that there are a gazillion levels of play in europe and its not all one in the same. A few are great but many are lower than even the lynx.

What in the world worth of good is it to have an academy if we are going to keep sending players to europe.

Free Kick is right. The purpose of academies must be to give Canadian kids an option to stay at home to develop rather than going to play for a 2nd division team in Norway or a 3rd division team in Sweden.

MLS is superior to 70% of the 2nd divisions in Europe so why would we want to continue to see kids go off an play for JOEBLOW FC (or, maybe I should say JOSEBLOW FC or JOAOBLOW FC) in a 3rd or 4th division when they might face better competition at home.

The more academies that pop up, the better the quality of the leagues like USL2, PDL, Super Y, etc... and thus our players will improve as they play better competition.

Why would you want to stop players from going to europe?

So that they'll develop here in Canada and end up playing for Canada

The point of the TFC academy is to stock TFC with young Canadian talent that will form the backbone of the team. After 2 seasons in the system a player is eligble to sign with the team without going into the MLS Superdraft.

Players can transfer to a Euro club when they've established themselves in MLS and TFC will reap the financial rewards (2/3 of the transfer fee will go to a player acquisition fund)

Do not forget TFC needs 12 Canadian players on their roster. It is in TFC interest to have strong youth teams.

Youth club academies existing already but they are not recognized by OSA.It is nothing else then ripping off big money and zero result. Academies are not playing competitive games; they just practice and every now and than exhibition game. TFC academies cannot affiliate with local youth club, since MLS is clear about development programs. Problem that I can see is competition, against what teams they are suppose to play? Should TFC academy take over Ontario provincial teams and develop them. And at the end how much is going to cost, if is going to be like now provincial youth teams $5000-$10000 per year well we will have a lot rich kids playing instead real talents developing.

Example from NYRB

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/t107/player_development/

4yrbrwg.jpg

L.T. I am curious to understand how the private academies work in Ontario.

Do the players who pay to take part in one of these academies actually play for a Youth Club Rep Team as well or are they committed to practicing and playing for the academy only?

Do the Academies field their own teams? If So, what league(s) do they play in or do they just travel to tournaments and play friendlies? Do thye take part in OSA club championships?

What does it cost to have a child participate in an Academy? Do they offer any "grants" to players of lesser means who might deserve to be there but whose families can't afford the bill? If not, how can you be sure you aren't getting only the best affluent kids rather than the best kids period.

In Principle, I support the Academy philosophy. Teach skills and tactics...don't worry about results. World Cups aren't won by 14 year olds. As they say at Ajax's Academy, the Academy teams May win but the Senior team Must win. All that matters is developing players who will succeed at the highest level. If losing at 14 begets winners at 20, that's all I care about. However, I am a bit concerned about the concept of For Profit academies. This is why I feel the only true academies are those run by Pro Clubs who do not charge players to participate. This is what TFC MUST do.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

L.T. I am curious to understand how the private academies work in Ontario.

Do the players who pay to take part in one of these academies actually play for a Youth Club Rep Team as well or are they committed to practicing and playing for the academy only?

The majority of players are full-time Academy and train & play 11 months a year with the Academy

Do the Academies field their own teams? If So, what league(s) do they play in or do they just travel to tournaments and play friendlies? Do thye take part in OSA club championships?

Academies have their own internal league - www.academysoccer.ca/?page=iac . They also participate in US Showcases and European/South American travel.

What does it cost to have a child participate in an Academy? Do they offer any "grants" to players of lesser means who might deserve to be there but whose families can't afford the bill? If not, how can you be sure you aren't getting only the best affluent kids rather than the best kids period.

Costs range - average about $200/month. Grants are available based on need (not skill level, as that would jeapordize scholarship opportunities).

In Principle, I support the Academy philosophy. Teach skills and tactics...don't worry about results. World Cups aren't won by 14 year olds. As they say at Ajax's Academy, the Academy teams May win but the Senior team Must win. All that matters is developing players who will succeed at the highest level. If losing at 14 begets winners at 20, that's all I care about. However, I am a bit concerned about the concept of For Profit academies. This is why I feel the only true academies are those run by Pro Clubs who do not charge players to participate. This is what TFC MUST do.

Make no mistake, the academies you speak of are for-profit, they just have different revenue streams available that make the academy more viable. The best case scenario I can see in Canada is that the top team (i.e. 16-17 year olds) is free and subsidized by the younger groups (and possibly transfer fees). That is what the Whitecaps model appears to be and probably the most you could expect from TFC.

Sorry, I misspell I meant REP teams.I don't want to name the club this is not advertising site.

I write this from my experience so I might be wrong don't get upset please.If you know more about academies let me know.

We practice twice weekly all year around and games on weekends for U7 to U9 and for U10 and up three or four times a week year around plus games and all this for $800 to $1100 per year depends of age.Club makes money in house leagues not the REP teams.I'm went for few Academy tryouts and I wasn't impressed at all,I will be going to more acadamies in future until,but until I see the skill level of kids being higher than in REP teams I'm not going to let him to any Academy.And if you trying to tell me that academies are not money makers why are you charging 3 times more for same amount of practices and less games per year.By us every coach has coaching license from his old country before he made Canadian license,and there are no fathers or sponsors connections they can make any kid play more than he deserves.

Now I'm writing about us I don't know how it is in other youth clubs,but what I was able to see during tournaments other clubs are similar.Here is the video that we give every parent to see before they decide to join us.

I think you will agree with me that North American way is wrong way to teach.

http://www.streamingsportsnet.com/gasoccer.html

Cheers

JB - I just want to comment on the money makers comment...

- Academies pay ALL their coaches

- Academies are expected to have athletic therapists at all training and games

- Academies aren't able to make money off the back of house league kids (If I were you I wouldn't name your club because if a house league parent read it they might complain to your board - it has happened at other clubs:)

Our coaches are paid too,for every practice and game.Even coaches on house league are paid no such a thing father coaching a team.Let be honest no one is running a club or academy for free,officially is non profit organization but hay who are we kidding this is North America no such a thing for free.

Anyway I hope that academies will do better job for our kids,since with youth soccer clubs they are finished at the age of 16.

Like I ask before do you have some academies that you would suggest,you can PM to me.

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

At first I was a little unsure of where the video was going. But after I watched it I thought it was bang on.

I practically had flash backs of my last season coaching U-10!

Honestly after I watched this video I saw myself too and not just me I saw our team too.That was a wake up call to start changing practice and game approach in general.I strongly suggest for all you involved in youth soccer to watch this video.

Cheers

I'm with the club only 3 years but apparently they are being paid longer than that.

Parents are not complying since kids are getting proper practice before the game,instead somebodies father who has no clue about soccer coaching them (like in so many other clubs that I visited).House league is not just here is the ball and go for it,before the game is 45 min.practice and than 45min game.Little bit different approach but it works.

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

I'm with the club only 3 years but apparently they are being paid longer than that.

Parents are not complying since kids are getting proper practice before the game,instead somebodies father who has no clue about soccer coaching them (like in so many other clubs that I visited).

I watched the video, that's a pretty refreshing look at how Brasil is a well-oiled Soccer machine...and how pathetic some of the development in NA can be...

quote:House league is not just here is the ball and go for it,before the game is 45 min.practice and than 45min game.Little bit different approach but it works.

This is a fantastic idea. House league is usually nothing more than babysitting and kick and chase soccer (depending on the age). This might actually teach some of the future Soccer parents some basics that they can pass down to their kids at an early age.

Archived