Sportsnet.ca column on Black Wednesday

Ben Knight

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicely done, Ben, and thanks to Cheeta for getting something up on our site to mark the protest. Good minds now have to think about what we do next, after Black Wednesday, and I urge all of you to strap on your thinking caps AND listen very closely to anyone who might have an opinion on the matter. Some opinions will be useless (i.e. Canada is crap, there ain't nothing you can do to make things better etc.), but I'm confident that we'll hear some very interesting stuff if we listen closely to others.

We should keep this agenda alive as long as posible; Sept.12 is just the beginning so keep the pressure on CSA and Ministry of sport, media.

What is going on with the letter for resignation are we sending tons of those to everyone including the youth clubs and Provincial soccer association to let them know what we want.

Find the place and hotel of next CSA meeting in October, and try to organize some kind of protest in front of hotel (same T-Shirts and banners can be used).

I’m just thinking loud so to say don’t jump right away.

Cheers

If we really want to hit the CSA, we need to start contacting CORPORATE SPONSORS. Whatever companies are involved with the CSA need to hear about our displeasure. The CSA can ignore us if they want, but when the corporations holding the purse-strings start to ask questions about why the people they are spending $$$ to market to are so pissed off, the CSA game will be pretty much up.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

If we really want to hit the CSA, we need to start contacting CORPORATE SPONSORS. Whatever companies are involved with the CSA need to hear about our displeasure. The CSA can ignore us if they want, but when the corporations holding the purse-strings start to ask questions about why the people they are spending $$$ to market to are so pissed off, the CSA game will be pretty much up.

Will that hurt the CSA or the players though? I could see the CSA honchos just passing the buck and providing less funding for national team games/camps. Of course, I have no idea how all this stuff works.

Will that hurt the CSA or the players though? I could see the CSA honchos just passing the buck and providing less funding for national team games/camps. Of course, I have no idea how all this stuff works.

Great idea. As soon as the money is disapearing that's when we can expect change.

Great idea. As soon as the money is disapearing that's when we can expect change.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Will that hurt the CSA or the players though?

Judging by the example of the women's team, I'd say both, but mainly the players as well as the fans. The CSA still would be getting it's money from the player registrations & associations etc., but would have less money to set up training camps & friendlies etc. - the first thing that would be cut back would be the extra preparation that we need to be successful at the men's level. I'm not seeing how that would help.

Remember, the people that are being targeted are un-paid volunteers, so cutting funding isn't really going to affect them personally. They are still going to be un-paid.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Judging by the example of the women's team, I'd say both, but mainly the players as well as the fans. The CSA still would be getting it's money from the player registrations & associations etc., but would have less money to set up training camps & friendlies etc. - the first thing that would be cut back would be the extra preparation that we need to be successful at the men's level. I'm not seeing how that would help.

Remember, the people that are being targeted are un-paid volunteers, so cutting funding isn't really going to affect them personally. They are still going to be un-paid.

Definately true. We'll never get to the point where we affect them on a personal level. The first thing that will be cut in those types of situations will obviously be NT programs.

My question would be if it went beyond that what would be the next thing on the block? Would it stop the CSA from running at any sort of level? Because if that's what happens we've really empowered someone else to take over and force change.

Problem: FIFA does not like governments to directly interfere with running of national associations (we have seen suspensions because of this around the world). Just refuse to give them grants, or investigate them for criminal misuse of funds. The sports ministers (provincial too) can also express their desire for positive reform.

I agree that perhaps sport fans contacting personal sponsers with concerns may cause impetus for reform. Obviously, money is the key.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Problem: FIFA does not like governments to directly interfere with running of national associations (we have seen suspensions because of this around the world). Just refuse to give them grants, or investigate them for criminal misuse of funds. The sports ministers (provincial too) can also express their desire for positive reform.

I agree that perhaps sport fans contacting personal sponsers with concerns may cause impetus for reform. Obviously, money is the key.

This is a good point. I remember FIFA suspending Greece when the government started getting too involved in matters.

Does anyone know how FIFA reacted to the Crawford Report? I don't recall FIFA sanctioning the Aussie government in any way? Am I wrong?

Archived