D.Dichio hurt again!!

JB_Tito

Here we go again,WTF

mlsnet

TFC's Dichio banged up again

Forward taken for X-rays after collision in training

By Mark Polishuk / MLSnet.com Staff

VAUGHAN, Ont., Canada -- The last thing Toronto FC needs in the midst of an MLS-record scoring drought is (another) injury to their top goal-scorer, but Tuesday's training session saw striker Danny Dichio spend more time on the sidelines than on the field.

Dichio and reserve squad midfielder Tyler Hemming both challenged for a loose ball at the same moment, and when their feet met at the ball, Dichio collapsed in obvious pain. The big forward gingerly limped off the field, assisted by athletic trainer Carmelo Lobue, and was unable to put any weight on his right foot. Dichio watched the rest of training from the bench, as Lobue tended to the striker's foot with wraps.

Dichio said the TFC training staff were taking him to a hospital for X-rays on Wednesday afternoon.

"I don't know if I've cracked the top of it or not, we're going to go and see now," the forward said. "It's not looking so good at the moment."

A foot problem would be the latest in a series of injuries that has plagued Dichio over the last two months. A sore back and a hip flexor kept Dichio out of two full games and parts of four others. His start in TFC's 1-0 loss to D.C. United on August 25 was the first time Dichio had played the full 90 minutes since TFC's 1-1 draw with Chicago on July 7.

The Chicago match also marks the last time the Reds scored, and it is no surprise that Toronto's league record 642 minutes without a goal coincides with Dichio's health woes. TFC has been outscored 12-1 in matches the English forward has missed. It was Dichio who snapped Toronto's season-opening 383 scoreless streak with the opening strike in TFC's 3-1 win against Chicago on May 12 -- also the first goal in club history, and the first of Dichio's team-leading five goals.

Dichio's injury problems are perhaps not surprising given the striker's physical style of play, and the fact that Dichio has been playing non-stop soccer for over a year. He played 30 games for Preston North End of the English Coca-Cola Championship League in the 2006-07 season before signing with Toronto FC on April 19.

Reds coach Mo Johnston has been vocal about giving Dichio and midfielder Carl Robinson -- another import from the Championship -- a rest during training and in games, but Toronto's rash of injuries has forced Johnston to play his tired stars more than he would like.

"It takes its toll," Johnston said about playing two consecutive seasons. "You become fatigued in certain games. Carl and Danny have performed very well for us, but they need a break and we just don't have that luxury in terms of getting them that break."

Johnston cited David Beckham as an example, along with Dichio, of the physical risks that moving directly from a fall-spring league to a league with a spring-autumn schedule. Beckham's ankle injury (suffered while playing for England in June and then worsened in the final two games of his season with Spain's Real Madrid) limited the English star to just four of a possible 12 games once joining the Los Angeles Galaxy on July 13. As though the ankle wasn't enough, Beckham's season might have been ended due to a sprained knee suffered in the SuperLiga final against Pachuca last Wednesday.

Only Robinson has escaped the injury bug thus far. The midfielder played 36 games for Norwich City in 2006-07, though Robinson had a two-month semi-break from February to April to join TFC's training camp. Robinson has played every minute of his 20 matches with Toronto, only missing two games to play for the Welsh national team. Robinson will miss TFC's Sept. 8 clash with FC Dallas due to another international commitment for Wales.

Johnston knows first-hand the rigors of coming to MLS without a chance to recover. He signed with Kansas City in 1996 after playing a year with Scottish side Falkirk and ended up playing more than 80 games.

"You do feel sometimes your legs are not there," Johnston said. "It's not because you're not fit, it's because of fatigue. When fatigue sets in you give the ball away."

Dichio was very complimentary towards the efforts of the Reds' coaching and training staff to keep him fit and as rested as possible throughout the season.

"They've seen when I'm tired in games and haven't given me the full 90 minutes, so they've been very good to me," Dichio said. "They've been top class and very understanding along the way."

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Soju

Yeah the turf kicked him in the foot, but I appreciate where you're going with this because I'm bored today too :D

Yeah... I am bored too... just trying to stir the pot.

Archived