Ethnic Cups

analyst

The North American Serbian Mens Championship was held in Burnaby BC on the weekend. Teams from Hamilton and Chicago made it to the final on Sunday. 5 Canadian teams entered, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Hamilton, and 11 US teams. Toronto WhiteEagles of the CSL lost in the semifinal against Chicago. Hamilton beat a New Jersey team to win its semi.

On Saturday, the rules said that no-offsides would be called, which led to lots of goals as teams positioned their strikers downfield. It really opened up the field.

On Sunday, the rules were changed as offsides were called for the quarter final, semifinal and final games.

A friend told me that the Hamilton team paid a pro-player from Europe, a striker, to play for it in the tournament. My friend doesn't have inside connections, so I don't know if that information is accurate.

In another thread, Elias mentioned that Croatian teams had their own North American tournament in Toronto on the weekend. I wonder how the Canadian teams fared.

3 or 4 years ago, a western Canada and western US Muslim tournament was held in BC. It was put on by the BC Muslim Sports Association. There were some good games in that tournament.

What other ethic groups put on national and North American tournaments?

Oh yeah, I meant to post here lol.

The Croatian tourny was in Windsor this year. The final was between 2 Chicago teams. The 3rd place match was between 2 Toronto-area teams (not CSL Croatia).

The Serb tournament 2007 site. I believe they have an other main tournament site as well but I can't find it. I don't think it was the CSL Serbs that went, I think it was their OSL team, but I'm not sure.

There was also a Greek tournament in Chicago. The Canadian teams dominated. Although it's only the 2nd year and there's only a few US teams and none of the top ones.

Hamilton Serbians won the tournament. Beat United Serbians SBH form Chicago in penalties. Very good game. Hamilton Serbians had their regular team outhere, without any call-ups. Serbian White Eagles Toronto is an RSL team, with no CSL players, lost to Chicago 4:1. 12 teams in open, 5 in over 30 and 7 in over 40 division this year (those are comsidered low numbers, too far to travel probably). Next year tourney is in Hamilton, we expect around 50 teams to participate in all three divisions.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by analyst

That's correct, no offsides in the preliminary rounds. More goals, less offsides, faster games, fewer arguments and more excitement.

I guess....

I could see that for 7v7, but less so for 11v11

Archived