Canada - Costa Rica - Sept 12th.

redhat

Amidst the CSA controversies, I thought I should start a new thread

regarding the game itself. (I hope that's okay)

The game is to start at 7pm EST at BMO Field and will be shown

LIVE on Rogers Sportsnet on all channels (according to their schedules).

Could someone please post the actual/possible list of players?

I'm assuming it will be NA-based players and a few ones from Europe.

Also aside from the campaign to make it "Black Wednesday", the event

MAY NOT be sold-out. I hope everyone in the GTA area would take the

time and join in the event. We NEED games like these in Canada,

we need to OUTNUMBER our foreign guests, and we need to SUPPORT our

MNT.

I have good reason to believe that there will be a very strong squad.

So many of our top Euro players are from the Toronto area, so I can see them jumping at the chance to finally play in front of their family/friends. Guys like De Guz, Hutch, Hume, etc.

Plus there should be a heavy MLS contingent. I expect to see Harmse, Jazic, Stamatopoulos and of course De Ro.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Also aside from the campaign to make it "Black Wednesday", the event MAY NOT be sold-out. I hope everyone in the GTA area would take the time and join in the event. We NEED games like these in Canada, we need to OUTNUMBER our foreign guests, and we need to SUPPORT our MNT.

I think some credit should definitely go to the U-Sector boys, particularly Franky (don't think I've ever met him), Ryan, and Sean, for selling 300+ tickets in the South End and for setting it up with Ticketmaster so that non-U Sector Voyageurs can join in the fun. It's unfortunate that we have to go to such lengths and personal financial risks, but I'm glad somebody did.

What baffles me is the 7:00pm start time as it seems obvious from the mid-week TFC games that people have a really hard time making it there for kick-off.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think Pozniak said in a soccercentral interview this weekend that he will part of the squad.

To be more accurate, he said he hopes & expects to be part of the squad.

Ledgerwood's injury will preclude his involvement, though I don't think it was likely for this particular friendly in any event

It would appear that Rob Friend will be in the roster for the Costa Rica match:

quote:

Wegen der nun anstehenden Länderspiele ist in der 2. Liga jetzt zwei Wochen Pause. Bei der Trainingsarbeit muss Jos Luhukay in dieser Phase auf die Nationalspieler verzichten. Marko Marin und Eugen Polanski fahren morgen zur U21, Steve Gohouri reist nach Afrika, Rob Friend nach Kanada, Oliver Neuville zum Fitnesstest der Nationalmannschaft und Roberto Colautti nach England.

http://www.borussia.de/de/borussia_news_detail,185,0,newsid-147539.html

Somebody who actually knows German can correct me if I'm wrong.

Bernier would also appear to be invited:

quote:

Einspielen kann er sich mit seinen Teamkollegen allerdings vorerst nicht, weil er erstmals im Kader der dänischen Nationalelf steht. Auch Patrice Bernier (Kanada), Erik Jendrisek (U21 Slowakei), Florian Fromlowitz, Fabian Schönheim (beide deutsche U21) und Sascha Kotysch (deutsche U20) sind mit Nationalteams unterwegs. Dazu fehlen die verletzten Moussa Ouattara, Josh Simpson und Björn Runström im Training und beim heutigen Testspiel gegen Luxemburg. Der junge Coach Rekdal macht eine richtig schwere Phase durch

I'm not sure what that bit about Josh Simpson says, perhaps that he'll be playing with others in a friendly against the Luxembourg national team?

It looks like a potential club-country conflict as FC Koln seem to want to prevent McKenna playing for Canada next week (babelfish helped me with this one).

quote:

Die zweite spannende Frage ist, ob sie die Länderspielabstellungen von Kevin McKenna (Kanada) und Maynor Suazo (Honduras) verhindern können. Beide Profis waren von ihren Verbänden angefordert worden, die Kölner versuchten am Montag mit schriftlichen Bitten, die Entscheidung zu ändern. Immerhin fehlen schon vier wichtige Spieler bis Ende nächster Woche. Patrick Helmes (Deutschland), Adil Chihi (Marokko), Aleksandar Mitreski (Mazedonien) und Milivoje Novakovic (Slowenien) sind für ihre Länder unterwegs.

http://www.ksta.de/html/artikel/1187344887260.shtml

Daniel Imhof, however, is expected to show:

quote:

Daniel Imhof und Anthar Yahia sind von ihren Fußballverbänden zu Länderspielen eingeladen worden. Imhof soll mit der kanadischen Nationalmannschaft am Mittwoch, 12. September 2007, in Toronto ein Freundschaftsspiel gegen Costa Rica bestreiten, Yahia ist für das Qualifikationsspiel zum Afrika-Cup zwischen Gambia und Algerien angefordert.

http://www.online-marketing24.com/15597-vfl-bochum-imhof-und-yahia-spielen-international.html

Fun with Google News Deutschland!

If you're scoring at home, that's most of the German contingent that is both healthy and part of the senior player pool (excludes Gyaki and JBB for the time being).

So, a tentative list of players might include:

Chris Pozniak - TFC

Daniel Imhof - VfL Bochum

Rob Friend - Borussia M'gladbach

Patrice Bernier - FC Kaiserslautern

Kevin McKenna - FC Koln (a definite maybe)

I couldn't find anything about other possibilities in Europe, including Radzinski, Hume, Johnson, Begovic, Hirschfeld, Hutchinson, De Guzman, etc., but I'd expect to see at least half of those.

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

As much i remember Mitchell said he will call in Toronto North American based players,game vs Iceland was for European based players.I would be surprised to see many European based players on sept 12.

I don't think we'll see more than 5-6 NA-based players. There aren't terribly many that have a reasonable shot of being a part of our first XI or even an 18-man roster. For example, calling up someone like Lombardo or Canizales or somebody from the Impact is pretty pointless in the big picture. Pozniak, Brennan, Braz, perhaps even Reda from TFC, Harmse, Serioux, Onstad and DeRo are all potential callups, but I wouldn't expect to see all of them.

originally quoted by jonovision

quote:It would appear that Rob Friend will be in the roster for the Costa Rica match:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wegen der nun anstehenden Länderspiele ist in der 2. Liga jetzt zwei Wochen Pause. Bei der Trainingsarbeit muss Jos Luhukay in dieser Phase auf die Nationalspieler verzichten. Marko Marin und Eugen Polanski fahren morgen zur U21, Steve Gohouri reist nach Afrika, Rob Friend nach Kanada, Oliver Neuville zum Fitnesstest der Nationalmannschaft und Roberto Colautti nach England.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.borussia.de/de/borussia_news_detail,185,0,newsid-147539.html

Somebody who actually knows German can correct me if I'm wrong.

Bernier would also appear to be invited:

quote:

Einspielen kann er sich mit seinen Teamkollegen allerdings vorerst nicht, weil er erstmals im Kader der dänischen Nationalelf steht. Auch Patrice Bernier (Kanada), Erik Jendrisek (U21 Slowakei), Florian Fromlowitz, Fabian Schönheim (beide deutsche U21) und Sascha Kotysch (deutsche U20) sind mit Nationalteams unterwegs. Dazu fehlen die verletzten Moussa Ouattara, Josh Simpson und Björn Runström im Training und beim heutigen Testspiel gegen Luxemburg. Der junge Coach Rekdal macht eine richtig schwere Phase durch

I'm not sure what that bit about Josh Simpson says, perhaps that he'll be playing with others in a friendly against the Luxembourg national team?

The Borussia News said that Rob travels to Canada and the FCK that also Patrice Bernier will do. Regarding Josh Simpson, Kaiserslautern Coach Rekdal can not count on him for a friendly game against Luxemburg as he is still injured.

From todays Toronto sun.

Quote:

Yesterday, however, Johnston softened his stance "in the interest of the game."

He said he would release several of his squad to play for Canada against Costa Rica in a friendly at BMO Field next Wednesday.

"They have asked for (goalkeeper) Kenny Stamatopoulos, Jimmy Brennan and Chris Pozniak," Johnston said.

So three from TFC,who else(thanks god no Braz and Reda),Jazic maybe?

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

From todays Toronto sun.

Quote:

Yesterday, however, Johnston softened his stance "in the interest of the game."

He said he would release several of his squad to play for Canada against Costa Rica in a friendly at BMO Field next Wednesday.

"They have asked for (goalkeeper) Kenny Stamatopoulos, Jimmy Brennan and Chris Pozniak," Johnston said.

So three from TFC,who else(thanks god no Braz and Reda),Jazic maybe?

The only thing with Jazic is that he might still be injured though.

Harmse, DeRo & Serioux should be in from the other MLS teams, possibly Onstad.

Here's the list so far:

Dwayne DeRosario - Houston Dynamo

Kenny Stamatopoulos - TFC

Jim Brennan - TFC

Chris Pozniak - TFC

Daniel Imhof - VfL Bochum

Rob Friend - Borussia M'gladbach

Patrice Bernier - FC Kaiserslautern

Julian DeGuzman - Deportivo La Corugna

Kevin McKenna - FC Koln (a definite maybe)

I expect Occean, Hume, Hutchinson, Issey, Kluka and Hainault to be there. Would be surprise to see Radz as he is arriving with a new club. Hirschfeld is an enigma to me and I think we might see Onstad again.

Archived