Media Committee: Call for Volunteers

CanadasBest

I posted a proposal to form a Media Committee on the "Voyageurs" Forum. The feedback has been good, but pretty minimal considering our numbers. Please see the link below and reply with your thoughts.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13490

This thread is to be used to volunteer or nominate active members to serve on this committee.

I will volunteer to sit on this committee but as I mentioned in the above thread I do beleive we have persons better suited than myself.

I would like to nominate Jeffrey S. to be the Media Officer.

El Hombre as Assistant.

Grizzly as Assistant.

(So ya, I guess if your name is brought up here or in the other thread and you don't want to be involved, now would be a good time to speak up) [8D]

Interested:

- El Hombre,

- gwallace76

- VPjr

- Gian-Luca

- Rudi

- Daniel

Not Interested:

- Redhat

- Jeffrey S.

- Jonovision

- Matthew

- Gordon

- Winnipeg Fury

- Sigma

- Massive Attack

- Ted

- Rocket Robin

- dbailey62

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good idea, and IMHO Long overdue.

Not sure whether they are interested, but I'd like to add Gian-Luca and Massive Attack to the nominees list.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

If Jeffery S is our voice..

Im definatly not connecting myself the name voyageur ever again

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sean, appreciate it. I just wish you had openly come out and complained when we did the May 8 protest letter, which I helped work on with quite a few others, as it is a bit disappointing to think that the most successful media campaign we have done so far in terms of press response did not have your approval.

I do have experience by the way, since the 80s in fact. One of my first projects, for a private family with a long Vancouver history, ended up on the cover of the Globe and Mail and Vancouver Sun on the day Vancouver turned 100 in 1986. I have also gotten headline TV and radio news stories as well as tv in Spain, I have spoken on Spanish radio and tv literally dozens of times. I am qualified, as are a few people on this board, but....

I haven't responded until now to the thread re a media committee as I happen to think that it is not feasible. The way we are currently structured we cannot nominate people to handle things exclusively, we have to rely on those that do things, people act and we let them, and then work improvising for each event. And there has to be consensus, or at least those not in agreement have to let others work, we have to tolerate some things we are not 100% in agreement with (as with all organizations, but even more so where there are no elected people with a mandate to act). Sometimes it is possible, others it is not, depends on the mood or on how vindicative, envious, obsessive or just plain childish people want to be in a given moment.

This is very frustrating, as I have expressed lately, as it means sometimes people with knowledge and professional experience have to cede before people who don't have a clue, people in their teens maybe with no experience. I personally think it means we are forced down to the lowest common denominator at times, but that is a consequence of acting democratically, as Ortega y Gasset wrote. you can see this with the designs for the black t-shirts, anyone who has any design knowledge will be sick to their stomach. But since the Voyageurs is structured that way, with no hierarchies and no seniority, it is the only way to go. Sometimes we represent ourselves in a truly crappy way.

Thanks for the vote in my favour gwallace, that was nice of you, but I personally would not wish our nitpicking ways on anyone in charge of having to handle media, least of all myself.

I have stayed quiet during this entire ordeal so far because i really don't know squat about the inner workings of the CSA. Now that i have learned a little, i pretty much am going to keep my mouth shut and keep on learning what i can. I hope there are a few of us that will. I think (hope?) changes are ahead. With changes there will be criticisim and dissent amongst our own. I personally feel that the Vee Veterans, such as all of you guys above, are willing to go through a little trial-by-ordeal when it comes to restructuring and giving us a voice. It's important for the cause. I am happy that there is a little head-butting between some members here. Shows passion, fire and determination. I think things will turn out for the better. I volunteer for media duty but a reduced role.Maybe i could do all the leg work and you lads do the writing. I think it will give us a stronger voice albeit over the long haul. I am, however, moving to Milan in Oct. if i can be of use from there...let me know. Gwallace, great idea this is.

Been thinking about this for a little while. I think it's a good idea with some reservations.

As for the specific nominations, I believe that the Media Officer/Assistants should be the "moderate" posters on here. These would be the guys that post useful information and don't get caught up in threads that devolve into personal attacks. I think most importantly that the general membership should feel comfortable with their appointed representatives. I don't think I need to name names as to who here might be considered "moderate" and who wouldn't.

As for the particular posters I would nominate, I think any of the following would do a good job:

gwallace76

Massive Attack

Matthew

Jonovision

Sigma

Loyola (bilingualism would help, I would think)

Redhat

The Beaver

As for myself, I appreciate the nominations and if people are comfortable with me, then I'd accept a position. However, I do not have any formal media relations training, so I do not really know what press releases should look like and details like that. But, as I said before, I'm always willing to help out (provided I'm not snowed under at work).

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

But johntv says you're not!!!

/go, go Gadget sarcasm!

If you keep writing stuff like that I am gonna get fired. I laughed so loud my boss knew right away I was surfing the net during work hours.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

As for the particular posters I would nominate, I think any of the following would do a good job:

gwallace76

Massive Attack

Matthew

Jonovision

Sigma

Loyola (bilingualism would help, I would think)

Redhat

The Beaver

Thanks for the nomination, but I'd have to withdraw. I do not know

enough of the inner workings of the CSA to comment about them, and

I would feel more comfortable if someone in the "committee" (eg.

ted, dbailey, winnipeg fury, coach rich, and a few media types) would

have that background.

Well, it appears there definitely is a need for a media committee after all.

Below is an email from Noel Butler of the Team 990 in Montreal. He hosts the "Oranges" soccer show that airs on Saturdays. I emailed him with the hope of getting last week's "Oranges" show added to the radio station's Archive section so we can all listen to the interview he did with Linford.

=======================================================================================================

Good Morning,

Much appreciate the email and thanks for taking the time to write - let me see what I can do and i'll come back to you.

Also mate at some point in the not too distant future i'd very much like to speak on-air with a rep or two from the Voyageurs.

Cheers, Noel

Noel Butler - International Sports Correspondent

THE TEAM990 - CTVglobemedia

Tel: [514] 931-4057

========================================================================================================

I wouldn't be shy about going on the air but, in all honesty, I don't have the in depth knowledge that some of the "elders" who congregate here do. I respect this group too much to try to represent all Voyageurs on a radio show.

Noel Butler's email address is noel.butler@team990.com and his other contact info is above.

I would suggest that we decide quickly who should be the main media contacts. Although I think it's going to be tough to turn the Voyageurs into a group that can speak for all Canadian Soccer Supporters but we should try. We need to take advantage of the fact that media wants our input, especially on the CSA issue.

It's not really important who does the interviews as long as they are well spoken and have a solid base of knowledge. What's more important is that we upon a set of "speaking notes" (for lack of a better term) that would represent the basic views we all share so the Voyageurs media rep does not worry about speaking out of turn. If you stick to the notes for the most part, no one can be pissed off.

Guest Jeffery S.

Though I think this is tough to pull off, just some thoughts.

For folks information, the people who have historically handled the Voyageurs Cup PR are Matt B and DJT, Danny, though there could have been more involved at first. Both are super competent and have dealt with press. I think some people in Montreal have represented us there in cup presentations over the years, including handling press, and speak French, though I wonder if we have been negligent with officially presenting the Cup lately. Anyways perhaps that would be Daniel?

Both Grizzly and El Hombre have shown themselves to write well, with a lively style, and are patient enough to put with people's suggestions. Especially for more position-paper type statements. Plenty of other people could do a basic release for a more factual news item.

Last protest letter it was Ian K in Vancouver and Matt who volunteered to speak to media. I did too (on the cell phone talking to the CBC while walking around Barcelona, not too practical).

Many of the longer-standing Voyageurs have stood up and spoken to press in a given circumstance when asked for an opinion. I dont think that anyone who has ever appeared as a Voyageur before the press has ever screwed up or badly represented us, perhaps my memory is selective but I don't think so. The reason why follows.

This is for those saying you have not been around for long enough and could not speak on radio or for the tv: all I can say is that noone has ever been required to follow an official Voyageurs line. We simply try to speak as Canadian soccer fans, we try to be a bit demanding -in terms of results, for example, and in terms of how fans are treated at games- we occasionally raise issues that are important but don't often get aired. I don't think you have to be at all an expert, you just have to act like a normal, passionate fan with a bit of common sense. And it is almost better that you say things as you see them and in your own words, naturally.

This is a lot of work for whoever takes it on, burnout is always a risk, so good luck.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Jonovision

Thanks, but no thanks. If this would involve speaking to members of the media, I don't think I'm the guy.

Believe me, I come off a lot better in print than I would, say, on the radio.

I nominate Gordon and Mathew, two senior V's hailing from the Prairies, that many on this board have met personally over the years.

Both are well written, well spoken, mature and knowledgeable. Neither are condescending or arrogant, and I doubt anyone on this board has a bad word to say of either.

The same goes for Rudi, our U-Secotor connection. Rudi is well written, well spoken ,extremely knowledgable. Many of you have met Rudi over the years, he is a senior V, and very respected.

I would feel very comfortable with any of these three behind the wheel.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I nominate Gordon and Mathew, two senior V's hailing from the Prairies, that many on this board have met personally over the years.

Both are well written, well spoken, mature and knowledgeable. Neither are condescending or arrogant, and I doubt anyone on this board has a bad word to say of either.

The same goes for Rudi, our U-Secotor connection. Rudi is well written, well spoken ,extremely knowledgable. Many of you have met Rudi over the years, he is a senior V, and very respected.

I would feel very comfortable with any of these three behind the wheel.

Well I thank you WF. What you write is true of Matthew and Rudi, but alas, I have been guilty of arrogance and condesension on occasion and there are a few who, justifiably I regret, who might have a bad thing or two to say.

I think that it would be tough for a professional journalist, such as Matthew or media guy and others to take on this role. I do think that the V-Cup media guys did a good job, and Jeffrey/Griz et. al. on the Simoes thing did really good work. So any of those two groups would get my vote.

Thanks for the kind words Fury. And thanks to El Hombre for the nomination.

It's not so much that I'm not interested. I'm just unable to. Or at least I wouldn't be comfortable doing so for reasons Gordon alluded to.

I've given my two cents to Geoff and I'm confident we have plenty of solid people who can do the job.

cheers,

matthew

There are quite a few people that have been nominated but have yet to comment on whether they are interested in working in the committee. I have sent out e-mail requests for all those that have been nominated. There are some fantastic suggestions so far, but some people may not be able to join the committee for various personal reasons.

If this is suppose to be a position that is to speak on behalf of the voyageurs, I suggest that you give a certain time period for those that our interested to nominate someone or themselves. You then give each candidate some time to pitch to this board and then you allow registered members to vote. That would give the person some legitmacy and accountability. Otherwise, you are just like the csa themselves in putting forward an old boys club and I for one, would not give any such self appointed volunteers the authority to speak on behalf of me or the voyageurs.

Can't remember how many years it's been, but I'm already holding a position as Treasurer (Yes, our remaining $900.00 is safe and sound).

I will respectfully decline the media position for a number of reasons, as I am currently inundated with various commitments.

How about Rudi ? Has he accepted his nomination ?

quote:Originally posted by Dave

A good idea, and IMHO Long overdue.

Not sure whether they are interested, but I'd like to add Gian-Luca and Massive Attack to the nominees list.

Thanks for the invite, but I generally suck at writing.

There are quite a few people who have already been listed that would be far better suited for this.

I would help out with bitch work if needed though.

Archived