CSL Open Canada Cup Finals weekend

Rocket Robin

Result of the Saturday September 1st, 2007 CSL Open Canada Cup Semi-Final between Windsor Border Stars and Columbus Clan played at Cove Road in London Ontario at 5:00pm.

11 min…Clan Jonathan Poli GOAL…Clan Craig Richards takes 30 yard freekick from the right that’s bent into the box and Poli misses header at 5 yards charging towards it. Clan Tony Gaita rescues ball on left end line and crosses back and Poli boots in 4 yarder from left to top right of net.

12 min…Border Stars Woreth Sampson GOAL…Sampson gets ball in middle on pass from right and his low 7 yard shot is a roller past goalie Geoff Ayi-Bonte guarding right side of net.

14 min…Border Stars Radek Papiez GOAL…WBS Woreth Sampson in box crosses to open left side for Papiez to charge into shoot 12 yard shot from left into low left side of net with goalie in middle.

20 min…WBS Dan Trosper pushes over Clan Tiarnan King on left side of box. Referee Steve De Piero awards a Penalty kick.

21 min…Clan Tiarnan King GOAL…King’s penalty kick is low to right corner as goalie slides/dives to left.

55 min…Border Stars Radek Papiez GOAL…WBS Woreth Sampson in middle taps ball over to Papiez who blasts 15 yard shot into low right side of net.

75 min…Clan Steve De Blasio GOAL…Clan Tiarnan King rush on right has cross partially cleared and De Blasio boots low 20 yard shot from right to low left corner of net beyond diving goalie.

93 min (added time)…WBS Jonathan Poli GOAL…Clan Craig Richards 25 yard freekick from near right sideline has WBS goalie knock forward through players but ball is still loose. Poli sends 12 yard shot up middle into right side of net.

94 min…game ends.

Final Score:……Columbus Clan…….4……..Windsor Border Stars…….3………

Attendance finished at about 100 people although it started with only about 40 on hot humid late afternoon with the sun coming out from behind the clouds at different times of the game. Columbus was considered the home team for this game although the fans were mostly pro Windsor. The Border Stars were warming up with only nine guys as there were some caught in a traffic jam on the 401 on the 200 km drive from the south west to get here. (Toronto where I’m from is about 200 km away in the east). They ended up with a full team and three subs on the bench. The prospect of silver ball overtime (two 15 minute halves) wouldn’t have been too appealing.

Columbus from Vancouver British Columbia had many names I recognized from years of watching the USL and A-League Vancouver 86ers/Whitecaps once a season when they’d play Toronto Lynx. Tony Gaita and Gino Gaita are brothers and started today’s game.

Both teams looked good offensively but both their defenses looked suspect. Both teams had to have their goalie’s make some good saves or the score could have been doubled. This may not put them in a position to play the other winning semi-finalist Trois-Rivieres Attak who won the evening’s other semi-final.

The Border Stars had won the trophy in 2004 and 2005. London City won in the inaugural 2003 year and Ottawa St Anthony Italia won in 2006 (and didn’t enter to defend this year).

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Saturday September 1st, 2007 CSL Open Canada Cup Semi-Final between Trois-Rivieres Attak and Italia Shooters played at Cover Road in London Ontario at 8:38pm.

15 min…Attak Alex Surprenant pulls down IS Geron Duporte on rush on right of box. Referee Justin Tasev signals for a Penalty kick.

16 min…Shooters Chris Turner GOAL…Turner’s penalty kick is to left side as goalie slides the wrong way.

42 min…Attak Mohammed Nafe GOAL…Attak’s Jean Phillip Etienne on left side of box receives cornerkick from the right and his cross is cleared however Nafe sends in low 40 yard shot through crowd of players and into the net.

48 min (1st half added time)…Attak Boubacar Coulibaly GOAL…Coulibaly has ball at 20 yards on left and turns with goalie off his line and fires low 20 yard shot that deflects off IS Alex Ruhe Lischke and past sprawling goalie Camilo Benzi into short left corner of net.

72 min…Shooters RED card…Defender Andre Stewart given direct ejection for knocking Attak Joe Di Buono near side line after whistle.

97 min (2nd half added time)…Shooters RED card…Jason DeThomasis given direct ejection for a foul and abuse although the game was already over.

Final Score:………Trois-Rivieres Attak……..2………….Italia Shooters……….1……….

Attendance was about 100 people on this mild night. It’s already dark before the game starts. The crowd was pro-Italia Shooters as it was about 200 km from Toronto. Shooters had beaten the hosts London City 4-2 the night before in the Wild Card game. The players did not stay in the city but drove home and came back the next day.

With Monday’s final now between a British Columbia team and a Quebec team, they’ll be lucky to get 100 people. Tickets were only $10.00.

Shooters lost a lot of their momentum as soon as they went down to ten men. Attak used some time wasting tactics which didn’t impress the referee who added six minutes of added time. The game got very rough in the second half. Funniest Yellow card though was to Nicolas Lesage at 90 minutes when no Attak player moved in to take a freekick from near the edge of the Shooters box. After waiting for someone to come up to the ball, the referee gave Lesage the card when he stepped forward to take the kick.

Shooters roster has swelled to three 2007 PDL Toronto Lynx players as defenders Rick Titus and Alex Ruhe-Lischke (Lynx 2007 MVP) and midfielder Cameron Medwin played all 90 minutes in today’s game. Attak are the farm team of the USL Montreal Impact so any of their players could be called up to the main team.

Shooters wore the worst uniforms I’ve ever seen with white numbers on white shirts. The numbers were whiter than the shirts but not distinguishable from a distance. The fourth official worked out a deal with the announcers box in that he’d hold up a numbers card so they could announce who scored a goal.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Monday September 3, 2007 CSL Open Canada Cup Final between Columbus Clan and Trois-Rivieres Attak played at Cove Road in London at 4:00pm.

60 min…Attak Nicholas Lesage GOAL…Attak Alpha Bah passes from middle and Lesage hits post with header then gets own rebound on left and his shot from 7 yards is banked in off the right post.

74 min…Attak Danny Anderson GOAL…Anderson gets pass back from Clan box and he bends in 20 yard shot from left into top right corner of net over goalie Geoff Ayi-Bonte. After this goal, Carlo Bertelli replaces him as goalie.

82 min…Attak Danny Anderson GOAL…Anderson gets loose ball and boots in ball from 12 yards past goalie Geoff Ayi-Bonte. .

84 min…Attak RED card…Goalie Jon Paul Piques earns a direct ejection from referee Joe Fletcher for objectionable conduct * (something he said). Forward Jean-Louis Besse left the field to make room for back up goalie Vincent Cournoyer.

Final Score……..Columbus Clan……..0…………Trois-Rivieres Attak……….3…………

Attendance was about 50 on this very hot day with a bright sun in the west. Each injury on the field brought players over to their benches for water breaks.

The Attak had an advantage in the first half but the Clan could get away some good counterattacks. In the second half, the Attak just took over with their conditioning although the Clan made as many subs as they could to get fresh legs into the game. The Attak are the farm team of the USL Montreal Impact and were better conditioned to play a full 90 minutes. The Clan had enough chances to stay in the game but shot off target or had goalie Jon Paul Pique make key saves. Nicholas Lesage was actually the first sub of the game and he had only been in the game for 9 minutes when he scored.

I didn’t hear what goalie Jon Paul Pique said but it was just after Clan Gino Gaita was injured just outside the Attak box. Referee Joe Fletcher told me when I asked him after the game what he said. In plain English he called him a “F****n’ F****t”. Since I post to about three message boards, I’ll let the moderators edit it how they want it. It seemed completely unnecessary with the Attak up 3-0. The longer he was down the more time ticks away although Fletcher added five minutes of injury time.

I’ll say again that attendance was only about 50. An estimate of the wild card game on Friday night (that’s the only game I missed) was about 400 and that’s probably because that game had the hosts London City. The semi-final games had about 100 each. Today’s game was about the worst draw for attendance imaginable with a team from British Columbia and the other from Quebec played in south western Ontario. CSL executive Stan Adamson presented the trophy on the field and said he’s hoping that this tournament will eventually springboard the winner to play in the Concacaf club championships as he reminded us that only Canada and Puerto Rico don’t enter teams in the competition. I’ll say let’s hope whoever ends up representing Canada plays in their own hometown or attendance will be even less.

The Clan will represent British Columbia at the national championships in Nova Scotia at a tournament later this year.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin CSL executive Stan Adamson presented the trophy on the field and said he’s hoping that this tournament will eventually springboard the winner to play in the Concacaf club championships as he reminded us that only Canada and Puerto Rico don’t enter teams in the competition.

We now stand alone. The Puerto Rico Islanders played in the Caribbean playdowns for the 2007 CONCACAF Champions Cup.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by analyst

Congratulations to Trois Riviere. Lets hope they get to represent Canada abroad and that next year the Whitecaps and Impact compete for the Cup. Bravo to whoever paid to send Columbus Clan to Ontario to compete.

I think the prize for winning the BC tournament 2nd weekend of August was all expenses to go to this one, plus prize money.

Attendance is really terrible though. Could anyone post a link to a pic of where the game was played, is it a field with stands? Asking as have family in London and may be going for a visit some time. While at it how about other London clubs, like Portuguese. Thanks.

Toronto Croatia plays in the North American Croatian Tournament against amateur/recreational Croatian-community teams over Labour Day weekend, instead of playing in the Open Cup. That's how much this tournament is respected.

I can't blame them. The Croatian tournament has been around for like 50 years or something. I strongly doubt this version of the Open Cup will be celebrating 50 years.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think the prize for winning the BC tournament 2nd weekend of August was all expenses to go to this one, plus prize money.

Thats what I understood, but I am skeptical because the BC tournament couldn't have raised enough money to pay the travel costs, so I guess the organizer must have used his own persoanl fortune to make up the difference.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by analyst

Thats what I understood, but I am skeptical because the BC tournament couldn't have raised enough money to pay the travel costs, so I guess the organizer must have used his own persoanl fortune to make up the difference.

I think they had sponsors, including tv. Each team put in a grand to play as well, and how many teams were there in BC, 24 or something. So the 10 grand prize money was not so unreasonable.

Archived