CSA's ability to identify quality Candidates

Canuck Oranje

Back in April-May when the CSA was going through its hiring processes and misfires, I had this nagging question in my mind.

Does the CSA Board even have the capability to identify and rate a quality Coach?

No, this is not the usual Mitchell vs. Simoes rant.

As Canadians, I think we often assume that our leaders have this capability when in fact, they may not.

Again back in April and May, I had posted here that I had new of another Brazilian Coach who had applied to the MNT team position but never even received any sort of response. Given this individual's coaching resume and playing resume along with his network in the game, I thought, at the time, that he would have at least got an interview.

The name of this individual (and will not reveal publicly here) probably would not be recognized by many in North America but is well recognized in the countries where he has coached. He has also had a hand in the development of at least five (and probably more) Brazilian players with national team experience and more currently playing at the highest levels in Europe. And yes, I can confirm that he applied to the CSA job and that he would have been affordable and without a staff coming with him.

Still, recognizing my possible biases, I resisted criticizing the CSA too openly about whether it even had the ability to identify top coaching talent.

However, when you consider who was in the final group, it was Canadian coaches and two foreign coaches with names that would be recognized by most serious soccer fans in Canada. But what about the technically superior Coaches without the name recognition? Did the CSA hiring committee have the expertise within its ranks to identify quality coaches or was it simply a group of amateurs that went with who they new?

Finally, I have an objective measure. We now have Mitchell, Simoes and the third individual employed. I thought that one way to determine the significance of each hiring would be to find out what the global soccer media thought. My measure was simply the RSS feed from ESPNsoccernet.com

Considering that it seems that this RSS feed originates out of England, it would have some level of objectivity. Anyhow, of the three hirings, only the hiring of the third individual was warranted a news report on this RSS service (unless I missed the other stories).

So the question remains, did the CSA hiring committee actually ever have the technical capability to hire the best coach for the job?

Guest Jeffery S.

Yes gentlemen, but how do clubs and nations choose coaches? I can assure you that it is unheard of to set up a hiring committee or revision committee, and even the idea of posting the job is extremely rare in the top footballing nations (I am talking about all those in UEFA, Conmebol for sure) though it could happen with smaller footballing countries in places people don't normally want to go (Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Nepal). Clubs will almost never do it, anywhere, as they are in leagues and leagues always have coaches unemployed who are in the pool. As do neighbouring nations.

How do they normally do it then? The club or association president talks to his confidants on the board, they come up with names. There may be a technical director in place who they'll consult, but not always, they could or could not. And then they have friends who are ex-players of the club or country who they go out for dinner with or play golf with, and these guys feed them ideas. Ex-players' names rightfully come up, as that is the first and most logical choice for most clubs and countries. Then they chit chat about possible names, then they maybe ask the technical director. The ex players act as unofficial advisors to the president and the executive and the president then decides who he wants or makes a short list, puts one first, and sounds him out, they talk money and ideas. If that does not work they go to the next. And the president hires the coach.

Linford talking to his buddies or contacts at Everton would have been the normal way to do things, and the normal way to do things would have been Linford being convinced by someone at the top level of football (and Everton is definitely that, they happen to have a pretty fine coach right now) who had come up with an interesting name in our price range.

So I wouldn't mock it at all, what is deserving of ridicule is posting the job and having dozens of people apply, it is totally unfeasible and very much the stuff of the isolated, poor and plebian nations of football. From your snide comments I get the idea that is what you wanted?

Another thing is Canuck Oranje's good point that if you are not talented you cannot recognize talent. But you have to let the president feel right about a choice and not boycott him, and I am sure we'd be feeling pretty positive and be living a fascinating time at the national team if a person like Simoes was at the helm right now.

Guest speedmonk42

So I wouldn't mock it at all, what is deserving of ridicule is posting the job and having dozens of people apply, it is totally unfeasible and very much the stuff of the isolated, poor and plebian nations of football. From your snide comments I get the idea that is what you wanted?

=========================

Just curious if government funding/federal incorporation could have anything to do with that.

Can they legally hire without posting a job?

It might be something stupid like that.

I doubt it because any government requirements would be attached to use of government funds. Any hiring process would be entirely up to the organization.

Again, I don't know if the job was posted anywhere. The individual, that I know, was made aware of the job by those who knew it was available. Given that he was looking for a little stability at this point in his life, he was interested and was strongly encouraged to apply by his friends in the game. I doubt he would have even considered it otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Just curious if government funding/federal incorporation could have anything to do with that.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

You need to have an open advertisement selection process and find there are no...qualified Canadian candidates..its done at the time at unversitys..to hire new profs..you do process then select the foriegn prof you want who has top credentials ..and you get immigration stamp and they are in ...its not a barrier to getting the one you want..hell MO was hired in Toronto... and others in Canada could have been argued to be qualified ...i.e. Dale Mitchell or S. Hart.. or Ross Ongaro...

I agree with that was stated above.

I'd also point out that it is possible for someone without in depth soccer background to make the right decision. For example, the raptors made several terrible personelle changes in a row. So when they we're looking at firing their recent GM and replacing him they hired a consultant to help conduct the search. They ended up with Brian Colangelo in the end, who has successfully started to turn around the team.

I'm not sure if we'd have that type of service available but it would probably work better than we have going. As a whole the President and the BOD are still lacking the knowledge of the game to run the organization.

I can just see a European coach looking at the map of Canada and than starts to figure out how many times his country could be multiplied with and than knowing his own territory and how difficul that is to begin with atc.It is a monster job and although tried by many never ever seem to have worked.This is not a Raptor job and on a local basis,this is zillions of km and times zones,etc.

Anyway our size is not in our favour.I guess we would have to study our hockey guys and see how they figure out this huge country.

Raptors job isn't on a local basis either. The consultant was international and so was the hiring choice. Players on the team come from a number of different countries and the team is international in nature. The new GM uses lots of people that travel well beyond Canada to scout players. I know it's not exactly the same, but the point is a professional organization used a HR consultant to make a good move. The position was very international in it's nature contrary to your statement.

The fact of the matter is that the individual that I speak of would have fit into the budget of the CSA. The original question was:

Did the hiring committee of the CSA actually have the capability to identify and rank coaching ability?

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Guys we have no money for a high paid coach. If we get a high paid coach expect fees to go up.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Raptors job isn't on a local basis either. The consultant was international and so was the hiring choice. Players on the team come from a number of different countries and the team is international in nature. The new GM uses lots of people that travel well beyond Canada to scout players. I know it's not exactly the same, but the point is a professional organization used a HR consultant to make a good move. The position was very internation in it's nature contrary to your statement.

The Raptors have a very professional and rigorous management structure, we have seen this in Spain with the approval process for Garbajosa to play for Spain in the European championship after coming off his ankle injury. Raptors were very on top of things, medically, legally, and in questions of insurance. Only today, after reviewing the insurance policy taken out by the Spanish federation did they approve his playing, and the competition starts tomorrow. But we heard they had a legal committee of seven people reviewing the document.

The rigour of the Raptors and big pro clubs in the North American leagues is light years ahead of the CSA. As they start to gear up to the world of MLS I am hopeful they will also make tough decisions that will help the team's performance. The CSA could probably learn a lot from them, when MLSE starts to have soccer specific knowledge at a deeper level, maybe there will be some positive influence.

Archived