Voyageurs on The Score Friday night

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

I have heard from folks at Score Tonight that they will be featuring part of one of the drafts for a release on the Linford resignation. This is tonight, Friday, think that is 10 PM EST, someone else might want to confirm times, etc.

I think they repeat the program so that may be the same one. I hope so as I missed the first few minutes of the segment, tuning in when Brian Budd was suggesting that it is key for the new CSA president to embrace coaching, and then watched Paul James go on a passionate tirade against Linford for his comment about encouraging our players to play for other countries. The normally pretty calm James was more pissed than I have ever seen him & pointed out that as we continue to do that, we will get nowhere. The only comment I heard about the Voyageurs in the part I saw was Paul James saying we do a good job - so obviously they had referred to the group earlier on.

I think the best thing we can keep doing to advocate change is to continue to liaise with the media, as they can reach a far wider audience than we can, and they know we exist.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think the best thing we can keep doing to advocate change is to continue to liaise with the media, as they can reach a far wider audience than we can, and they know we exist.

You are 100% correct. We may not all agree with the tactics chosen to try to advance change but as long as we agree that change is needed, the only way to get our voices truly heard is to work closely with the media.

We also need to show we are a relatively united group of supporters. Again, we might not all agree with the tactics used, but as long as we are all signing from the same hymn book ("the CSA is broken...change is needed") the media will listed and use their bully pulpit to promote the idea. Some media types can be very persistent, to the point of obsession. Hopefully, we can get them obsessed with this topic.

What we really have going for us is that there has NEVER been this many people making a living as soccer journos or commentators. if we tried to push change 5 years ago, who really would have listened to us. Now there are people who have to write about soccer and talk about soccer because that is what they were hired to do and that gives us a lot more friends in the media (as long as we don't screw up).

It's actually quite a good show, even without the CSA fiasco angle.

Still, I can't help but wonder if Buggie isn't wasted when they're filming. Man, I think I'm a bit flightly...whoaaaa.

No, Paul James has NO love for Colin Linford. That's pretty clear. And you could just see that Sharman and Buggie wanted to wind James up on this CSA topic (like he needed any help), that's awesome. Can only imagine what things were like off camera.

Not a big Paul James fan, not at all. And even though I agreed with precious little of what he said he earned a good slice of respect out of me today. Good on yah. Bit of the old fire left, eh?

Also, you just got the impression the whole panel could have spent, and wanted to spend, the entire show on the topic. That's great to see. Great to see.

That smug fu'k Ursini! Did everything but laugh out loud. You can't tell me he's not one of the spiders. Him and his lot got rid of that trouble-making "Dimford" and now they're just going to ride it out and wait for the tempest to settle. After that it's same-old same-old and more of the same afterwards.

I'm convinced. Maybe we'll succeed this time, maybe not, but either way it's time to drop the gloves.

P.S. Very nice to hear positive things about the Voyageurs.

P.S.S. Whatever you thing of ex-president Colin Linford and what he has and hasn't accomplished within the CSA he's become a martyr in the cause of advancing Canadian football if nothing else. And all he did was echo what everybody around here has been saying for years. Weird, isn't it?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by nolando

way to go, guys...this is brilliant work all around

No Nolando, it is not good work, it is bad work.

If other Voyageurs had respected the process whereby we put together a statement collectively, adjusting content to satisfy a wide majority, we would have had a major impact in releasing it. This was not the case, and my opinion is that it is because certain people effectively did not respect the process, but since we respected their views, the initiative to develope a unified statement was dropped. We respected a minority of Voyageurs and the statement and its sending out was killed; curiously enough, some of the same people are pushing ahead with a protest for September 12 that a lot of people strongly disagree with in its form (not the issue of course), and they could not give a damn.

If the same people arguing that now is the time to act and who cares if the idea is perfect or not had shown the same spirit with this release, then the media impact for the Voyageurs position would have really been "great work".

If anyone is really interested I would be happy to reprint what I wrote to Sharman after receiving his request for a Voyageurs opinion. Because I think it demonstrates what I am talking about and vindicates the position of a lot of Voyageurs who feel a bit frustrated with seeing their hard work shat on by others, Media Guy in the lead (and perhaps, to be honest, someone might feel I have done the same thing in the past to them, so fair enough, we can all learn).

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Here is a torrent of this 8 minute segment.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/865741

Can anyone seed this?

I'll make a direct download version once I get it.

Edit: Thanks to whoever is seeding this.

Edit 2: Strong words from Paul James. He did defend Kevan Pipe. But I have to have respect for him for calling out Jono DeGuzman as being selfish, which I kinda have to agree with. He also came out strongly against the traitors, which is rarely seen in this country, where our media likes to fellate people like the Whore, Thunder Dan, etc.

Edit 3: Here's a direct download version of the Foot Show for those who can't use Bit Torrent (welcome to the future).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o17d0t

After wathcing that I'm suprized that Paul James took the oportunity to focus most of his anger at Linford as opposed to the CSA. Linford definately lacked a lot of knowledge when it came to the game, but how is that different than anyone else in the CSA? It was noted that Linford spent 30 years within the game in Canada, so if he didn't have the knowledge i would hope his peers (the board) would know that prior to hiring him. To hire the guy and then say "he didn't have it" is just another excuse.

Then to bash the him for leaving as opposed to waiting to be fired was just stupid. James should realise flat out that Linford's days were finished. If he stayed on he simply would have been removed by the board. He should be looking at why he was there in the first place: to implement change. His changes were rejected by the very board that elected him so he had no manidate, so he left. That's pretty simple stuff.

It's extremely short sited and neglegent of the board to hire someone and disagree with the manidate 1 1/2 years in. Where was the due diligence to see that something like this didn't happen?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

I'm, can you please post it here?

The only reason for posting it is to let people like you, who are immaturely steamrolling ahead with an idea that a lot of people are justifiably against, and who contributed to undermining a Voyageurs response to this Linford resignation, know why the process failed. You don't respect us, you don't get any back. If someone I respect requests it I'll think about sending it to him.

Sorry, but the fact is that a lot of people who are calling for action on the 12th, two weeks late and in the totally wrong place, in a mistaken way to boot, like a bunch of school kids, are the ones responsible for the a missed chance to be pertinent. We had a chance, it would have worked, some of you boycotted the process, and I am a still too frustrated by that.

The media will only and can only write a little short paragraph about any protest on the 12th because in the meantime they'll have to analyze the game, quote the players, talk to Mitchell, and get the opinion of the CSA. It is a bonehead manoeuver in my opinion, badly thought out, and I am pretty pissed off that you are so poorly representing many fans by pushing ahead with it.

quote:

The media will only and can only write a little short paragraph about any protest on the 12th because in the meantime they'll have to analyze the game, quote the players, talk to Mitchell, and get the opinion of the CSA. It is a bonehead manoeuver in my opinion, badly thought out, and I am pretty pissed off that you are so poorly representing many fans by pushing ahead with it.

Pretty sure Sportsnet will be able to find some time to note the protest..I know it's tough to get different story lines into a 90 minute match and half-time lol, secondly the match is already starting to become secondary to the problems facing the CSA. If you don't agree, don't be a part of it, but I do have a feeling you are in the minority.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The only reason for posting it is to let people like you, who are immaturely steamrolling ahead with an idea that a lot of people are justifiably against, and who contributed to undermining a Voyageurs response to this Linford resignation, are going to request it. You don't respect us, you don't get any back. If someone I respect requests it I'll think about sending it to him.

Sorry, but the fact is that a lot of people who are calling for action on the 12th, two weeks late and in the totally wrong place, in a mistaken way to boot, like a bunch of school kids, are the ones responsible for the a missed chance to be pertinent. We had a chance, it would have worked, some of you boycotted the process, and I am a still too frustrated by that.

Sorry but in this case you are minority,it is time for action.

You were talking for years and we all know result nothing ever happened now is time to try something different and if you are not ready for something new you are just like CSA Board,they are scared too.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Mobiiiiiiiilio

Pretty sure Sportsnet will be able to find some time to note the protest..I know it's tough to get different story lines into a 90 minute match and half-time lol, secondly the match is already starting to become secondary to the problems facing the CSA. If you don't agree, don't be a part of it, but I do have a feeling you are in the minority.

I have a feeling that a lot of the guys who are cockily going ahead with this and calling for the defeat of dissent 12 days before the match are going to end up totally changing or altering their opinion before the event. Probably a lot of different protests will appear, in different form, and guess what? That will put you all in the minority, won't it? Because those of us saying we would never wear anything but Canada colours to a Canada game are not saying the game is not a good place to protest. It is an okay place, too late, wrong context, unfair to the players, but an okay place, just okay.

Given that you are going to change your minds four or five times in the next few days on what the right protest should be, you are hardly in a position to try to shut up a few people who don't agree with just one of them (I am speaking in plural by the way).

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

Sorry but in this case you are minority,it is time for action.

You were talking for years and we all know result nothing ever happened now is time to try something different and if you are not ready for something new you are just like CSA Board,they are scared too.

No, YOU are just like the CSA board: no experience, chaotic, amateurish, repetitive. Making decisions like drinking buddies instead of as people who have some real concept of what they are doing. The pot calling the kettle black at BMO, I find it a bit frustrating frankly. Your types make me feel that we get exactly what we deserve with the CSA we have.

Look, it's pretty simple situation. Some people are going to wear black to the game to protest the CSA. Some people have decided hey don't want to do it. Not everyone is going to go about this the same way.

Jeffrey, how exactly does protesting the CSA entail deserving the organization we have? The action speaks directly against that.

Archived