Where do we go from here...

We cannot stop now. I can’t stress this enough. We need to keep the pressure up until something is done.

As someone that started following domestic soccer in about 1984 I appreciate that we are all very tired, cynical and are feeling hopeless. However, as Stephan Brunt alluded to in his column today, we finally have an audience. But it’s fleeting; we must take advantage of it.

Organized.

Consistent.

Persistent.

United.

The goal, as I see it, is to disband the CSA and start again. I think that’s what we need to demand. We’ve all watched this organization for years. We know it won’t change its ways—not without being pushed.

During the next month, we have several things going on that will keep the attention on the sport--the Costa Rica friendly, the WWC and, to a lesser extent the end of TFC’s season and the USL playoffs.

It’s time to put our internal bickering aside. We need to develop a plan of how we are going to keep this issue in the news.

I have an idea for the friendly, which I will post—as a proposed press release—in another thread. I’m hoping others can use this thread to develop ideas as to how to get organized.

If we don’t, we are going to keep getting what we deserve.

All together……?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the Costa Rica game is the key here. If there is mass disapproval of what is happening at the CSA manifested through chants and banners etc then the people on messageboards will clearly be seen as speaking for more than just themselves and the pressure will mount considerably. If there is mass apathy in that regard then the CSA board can and will dismiss the stuff on here as being the work of a few unrepresentative cranks.

I'm with you...

I have spent a lot of time over the last 2 days on this and am prepared to keep at it.

As Media Guy says, we need to be organized, have a consistent, united message and keep at it.

I propose we launch a website seperate from Voyageurs where we can publicly state our agenda, maybe even start an e-petition as a start. There is not nearly enough consensus from the regular posters on this forum to call it a Voyageurs initiative. I already have a name in mind for the splinter group (I have checked and the name is not registered or used anywhere)

Is it possible that like minded people in the GTA to get together on September 12 (maybe before the game or right after the game) to meet, exchange contact info and get the ball rolling?

As a 1st step, we need to ensure there are plenty of anti-CSA protest signs at the Sept. 12 game.

I also suggest that all those interested in getting involved look into getting involved at the local club or district level as a volunteer. We need people on the inside working for change. I'm meeting with the people who run my local club tonight to see how I can get more involved.

In Germany last season Schalke fans protested club management for years of mismanagment by going to a match and remaining completely silent for 19 minutes and 4 seconds the year the club was established 1904....great idea and the irony....Schalke scored seconds after the protest ended! Hand out flyers informing people of the protest in the parking lot at BMO prior to the match against Costa Rica so everyone is on the same page...the CSA or at the time DCFA was offically formed in 1912....so...silence for 19 minutes and 12 seconds...send a release to all media outlets about a silent protest...get the word out...Sportsnet has the game....that would make some noise...without making noise...get the signs going to though....whatever it takes!

I can't go to the Costa Rica match, but I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and buy a ticket for someone who is willing to be vocal on my behalf. Down with the CSA! Message me and I'll buy you a ticket and we can put the CSA to rest!

Totally agreed about the need to take action on the 12th as it does offer our only public opportunity for the next couple months.

Some form of protest must be organised be it a rally before the match, something similar to what happened at Schalke or any other medium that would generate attention.

A committee of us would need to meet at least a week before the 12th to decide on what it is that we are going to do, as the next step is to ensure that "it" is done in numbers. We would need to contact figures like the Keay brothers with U-Sector, and similar organizers with the Red Patch Boys, to ensure that we can get lots of people on-baord. Bottom line is the Vee's just dont have the people power.

There also needs to be an official press-release about the demonstration sent out a minimum of 3-4 days before the match. And we will need to include an idea as to what we actually want to see happen with the CSA. I belive most Vee's would support an independant review similar to the Crawford report as myself and others have already begun designing an outline for that. Such a review will need to be administered through the federal government.

So for GTA supporters who are prepared to put in work and meet a couple times before the 12th, a group of 4-6ish should be fine, we need to get moving now.

We just need a basic plan/statement that all Voyageurs can support about this independat review for now, something like:

Main Objective:

To create a more professional, efficient and accountable environment at the Canadian Soccer Association with the express purpose of better cultivating our elite players and national programs.

We will have to refine the plan later.

So essentially we need to establish an interim committe to ensure an organised public display on the 12th. The Vee's should more thoroughly decide upon/review the plan after that match.

Strangely, this may prove to be a catalyst for the Vee's having to establish some kind of leadership/organisation in order to put forth ideas and communicate with media. Probably not a bad move.

quote:Originally posted by Mobiiiiiiiilio

In Germany last season Schalke fans protested club management for years of mismanagment by going to a match and remaining completely silent for 19 minutes and 4 seconds the year the club was established 1904....great idea and the irony....Schalke scored seconds after the protest ended! Hand out flyers informing people of the protest in the parking lot at BMO prior to the match against Costa Rica so everyone is on the same page...the CSA or at the time DCFA was offically formed in 1912....so...silence for 19 minutes and 12 seconds...send a release to all media outlets about a silent protest...get the word out...Sportsnet has the game....that would make some noise...without making noise...get the signs going to though....whatever it takes!

I like the way you are thinking, but I don't think it would work. As someone said, there would be too many Costa Rica fans that wouldn't buy in/care. Also, I don't think we should do anything that is directed towards the players on the pitch, which a silent protest would be.

My idea--and I'll write a proposed press release this afternoon after I get some other work done--is that we all go to the game dressed in black. Imagine a sea of black in the stands. It would be visual and symbolic and it's easy for people to do.

We could call it a funeral for the loss of hope in Canadian soccer.

That's great BringBackTheBlizzard.

We will need a couple days to get ourselves organised and determine what it is we are going to do. But your help will definitely be much appreicated.

As for the dressed in black idea, I do like the visual power of that. But conveyng to our players that this is the death of hope for them before a Women's World Cup and Men's WCQ isn't too positive from a supposed "Supporter's Group". Maybe if we branded it more as a funeral for the current CSA administration. I am also a trumpet player and could play the "last post" for a little theatrical value.

Good thoughts, lets keep them coming.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

As for the dressed in black idea, I do like the visual power of that. But conveyng to our players that this is the death of hope for them before a Women's World Cup and Men's WCQ isn't too positive from a supposed "Supporter's Group". Maybe if we branded it more as a funeral for the current CSA administration. I am also a trumpet player and could play the "last post" for a little theatrical value.

Good thoughts, lets keep them coming.

I think we should give our players more credit than that...they all know exactly what is going on...the fact you are in the crowd is showing them your support....if they did not have to be on the pitch, they would probably join us in the protest...they know we are not protesting them....we are in fact doing it for them...

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

My idea--and I'll write a proposed press release this afternoon after I get some other work done--is that we all go to the game dressed in black. Imagine a sea of black in the stands. It would be visual and symbolic and it's easy for people to do.

I thought the standard North American protest was the brown paper bag over the head. It's also easy to do and the media seems to love it.

I support the idea of meeting next week.

Email me and let's get it organized.

I am sure Sean Keay and BBTB can help get the word out on the U and RPB boards. There are plenty of members of those two supporters groups coming to the game.

I agree that a silent protest would not be appropriate at this time because its the first time we've had our boys play at home in a long time. The players deserve our full, vocal support. I LOVE THE IDEA OF DRESSING IN BLACK. it's brilliant.

I can get rolls of anti-CSA stickers printed which we can hand out at the game that people can stick to their black shirts. I know people in the priting biz. they'll hook me up cheap. if someone designs something, I'll worry about printing the stickers and getting the rolls of stickers to the game.

Mobiliiio.

I agree with what you are saying.

I just think it is important that we stress it in the "branding" of the event as somethign other than "the loss of hope for Canadian Soccer". If anything, it should be a moment of hope. So let's directly target the CSA with the slogan.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

Mobiliiio.

I agree with what you are saying.

I just think it is important that we stress it in the "branding" of the event as somethign other than "the loss of hope for Canadian Soccer". If anything, it should be a moment of hope. So let's directly target the CSA with the slogan.

"CSA R.I.P.........CSA R.I.P.....CSA R.I.P.........WE'VE HAD ENOUGH!"

It is vital, for sure, that you issue something to the media warning them in advance of any actions you will take on the 12th. Do we need to create a new name to do so? If so, perhaps something that suggests a very grassroots movement.

I still feel that a petition to the Feds (to the Minister responsible for sport), to perform a full review of the CSA with the aim of restructuring the organization for success, should play a significant role in this. A protest and petition would be great to announce, and would get further attention. Set up an e-petition, but also have our protesters on the ground collecting signatures before and after the game.

During the game, raise a little hell.

Wish I could join you lads. I offer my writing/editing skills should you need them. Just let me know.

As MediaGuy said, we cannot stop now, especially with a showcase game coming in two week's time.

Beaver we can defiitely use your support in spreading word of such a petition out of the West Coast.

For GTA supporters, as I've already said, within the next day or two we need to form an interim committe representing the Voyageurs who will do the following:

- carefully design the demonstration and act of protest against the CSA

- craft the media release and publicity campaign with a specific attempt to involve U-Sector and RPB

- design a mission statement for what pro-active goal we are trying to accomplish, it seems like there is enough of a consensus on an independant review

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

We should get someone to donate black t-shirts and then sell 'em outside BMO for a couple of bucks each...

& printed with:

CSA RIP

(insert date), 1912 -

September 12, 2007

I love that idea but that's going to require a hefty donation to make a significant impact.

Anyone here in the promotional business (i.e. selling hats, pens, shirts)?

Since I am two days away from taking a 1-year leave of absence to spend a little time with my kids and also concentrate on the business of soccer, I'm kind of motivated here!...

We should set up outside each gate with about 1,000 or so black t-shirts selling for no more that $5 each. I'm sure you can get them printed for less than that.

We should also have blown up versions of the Voyageurs release, my OntarioSoccerWeb editorial and maybe even some of the mainstream press articles. Put them on display boards so people know why we're doing this...

I can make a call to a friend who prints t-shirts to see how cheap we can get 1000 black t-shirts. Clearly, quality is not the main concern...cheap is all that matters. I'll check back with what I find out by tomorrow.

Archived