Braz, Brennan, Pozniak and Onstad comments

loyola

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah, don't we all. Unforunately it seems likely to me that under Simoes we would seen a team resembing the 2003 version.

1998 with Jamaica was his key qualification. It was nothing like as bizarre an appointment as you are painting it in other words. To succeed in CONCACAF usually requires an approach that differs from the typical North European one because of the climate. Osieck was not bad tactically that way but Simoes may well have been even better suited to the job. The BC 442 sort of clique within the CSA still thought a Tony Waiters protege was the way to go, unfortunately.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

1998 with Jamaica was his key qualification.

He was an unknown on the international scene until that time. Now his reputation has preceded him, and a lot of people don't hold it in high stead.

His success in Jamaica can be explained mostly by taking advantage of player eligibility rules that had just been recently introduced to nab a whole bunch of British players who had been in Jamaica less than Craig Forrest had at that time. We saw how successful he was elsewhere without that advantage.

quote:Originally posted by River City

I'm not sure, but I'm not going to speculate as you are doing. If Brennan was indeed referring to the Simoes-Mitchell hiring decision, he would have been quoted as so.

No, he could only have been quoted as doing so if he actually said those words. That doesn't mean he can't refer or allude to that without specifically spelling it out.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

He was an unknown on the international scene until that time. Now his reputation has preceded him, and a lot of people don't hold it in high stead.

His success in Jamaica can be explained mostly by taking advantage of player eligibility rules that had just been recently introduced to nab a whole bunch of British players who had been in Jamaica less than Craig Forrest had at that time. We saw how successful he was elsewhere without that advantage.

The Canadian national team is not exactly a plum appointment though is it. There is no danger of Guus Hiddink faxing his resume to the CSA any time soon. Worth noting that his success with Jamaica has not been replicated and that an ability to take players used to a north European environment and getting them to win in a CONCACAF one is exactly what we need in a coach.

I am willing to concede to G-L and JPG that Simoes might not have been the best man for the job but what still bothers me is:

a) No one in their right mind can believe that Mitchell is the right guy. If Simoes' resume is dodgy, Mitchell's resume is embarassing. He's not been successful at any level that really matters.

B) Linford was the President of the CSA. He should have been allowed to execute his vision without interference. If his decisions turned out to be poor, he should have been fired. For the CSA to invent last minute lame-ass excuses to justify the meddling is unnacceptable. There is not a business in the world that can succeed if the people put in charge to manage the day to day affairs are second guessed and undermined by the people that put them in power.

What's Bora Milutonic (I know I butchere the spelling...too lazy to google it) doing these days? I'm only half kidding.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I am willing to concede to G-L and JPG that Simoes might not have been the best man for the job but what still bothers me is:

a) No one in their right mind can believe that Mitchell is the right guy. If Simoes' resume is dodgy, Mitchell's resume is embarassing. He's not been successful at any level that really matters.

B) Linford was the President of the CSA. He should have been allowed to execute his vision without interference. If his decisions turned out to be poor, he should have been fired. For the CSA to invent last minute lame-ass excuses to justify the meddling is unnacceptable. There is not a business in the world that can succeed if the people put in charge to manage the day to day affairs are second guessed and undermined by the people that put them in power.

What's Bora Milutonic (I know I butchere the spelling...too lazy to google it) doing these days? I'm only half kidding.

Velibor ‘Bora’ Milutinovic

currently technical director of the Jamicain football federation... Bora is a Mexican citizen now...so he could easily come to Canada under Nafta as a executive...

Oh wait he has no club track record ...so we can not possibly hire him here ....

Archived