G&M, Star columnists call for an overhaul

Stephen LaRose

It appears Cathal Kelly either reads this board or has the ear of squid2. Or somebody sent him in email about the Australian Crawford report.

Shockingly enough, I think I actually like his article more than Brunt's (something I never thought I'd say) because it is actually more constructive.

It appears Cathal Kelly either reads this board or has the ear of squid2. Or somebody sent him in email about the Australian Crawford report.

Shockingly enough, I think I actually like his article more than Brunt's (something I never thought I'd say) because it is actually more constructive.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Both articles are very good, and both suggest--the Cathal Kelly one in particular--that we need to start a petition calling for a Crawford-like review and total rehaul of the CSA. We need to petition the Feds, or the funding body. And this would not be difficult to do. If we with our talent, passion and national network will not do this, then who? Glad to see the media responding, and glad to see that you guys are launching missives (missiles) in every direction, but nothing will change unless somebody with power does something. And we need to pressure that person to do so.

Damn, they both are so right........hit the nail on the head kinda thing.

One directorate to look after National teams of all ages and genders.

One to look after pros (since the leagues, clubs can't)

One to look after amateur.

AND one to develop a U-20 development national league.

I know everyone hates comparing sports. But this is where Canada leads the world in hockey. A truly national U-20 league. They all don't turn pro, but they all get great coaching and competition.

Why oh why can't this be done in soccer with the #'s registered?

The U-20's is where the future lies.

quote:It appears Cathal Kelly either reads this board or has the ear of squid2. Or somebody sent him in email about the Australian Crawford report.

Who cares if he reads it or not. The board is a good source for all things Canadian Soccer.

If he does come on here, I welcome him.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Who cares if he reads it or not. The board is a good source for all things Canadian Soccer.

If he does come on here, I welcome him.

I think they all come to this and other soccer forums. Even if sometimes the "information" might be dubious, there is a lot of good stuff here too!

db

quote:AND one to develop a U-20 development national league.

I know everyone hates comparing sports. But this is where Canada leads the world in hockey. A truly national U-20 league. They all don't turn pro, but they all get great coaching and competition.

Why oh why can't this be done in soccer with the #'s registered?

The U-20's is where the future lies.

Agreed 100%. I never thought before the U-20 that something of that nature would ever work ... but after seeing the interest from people who i assumed would completely hate the game in U-20 style soccer (as opposed to the pro game) I think it would be workable.

All good points made here. Do you think Canada should follow in the Crawford Report's lead and try to lure someone from Hockey Canada (Rugby is the #1 in Australia) to sit somewhere near or at the top of a restructured Soccer Canada or whatever you want to call it? Attract someone who was influential in their overhaul after Canada's successive failures on the international stage, particularly at the World Jrs. in the late 90's.

I also feel they would need someone well respected within the Canadian soccer community with vision (I'm not up on the merits of a guy like Craig Forrest or Bob Lenarduzzi, but a "name" guy like them).

And as Cathal Kelly suggeste, a partner from big business.

Kelly also threw out names from other sports. The best one I think was Ken Read. From all accounts he has taken a skiing program that was in shambles and is now striding towards 2010 Olympic medals in most events. But, I'm pretty sure he's a bit busy until 2010. Or an Alex Baumann (too busy overhauling Canadian swimming)? For these two, it was their own sport (and an individual sport, not team) that they were overhauling.

Archived