Canada’s men’s U-16 team to play in St. John’s

loyola

This is their 2nd camp in the space of 6 weeks...weird.

Men’s U-16 Team

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Canada’s men’s U-16 team to play in St. John’s

Canada’s men’s U-16 team will gather in St. John’s, NL for a ten-day camp under coach Sean Fleming. The camp runs 7-17 September with training and matches at the King George V Park in St. John’s. The camp is a joint venture between the Canadian Soccer Association, Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association, and the St. John’s Soccer Association.

Along with the daily trainings, the team will play three exhibition games against local senior teams. The three exhibition matches are scheduled for 12 September (7 pm vs. Memorial University), 14 (7pm vs. Challenge Cup finalist) and 16 (6pm vs. Challenge Cup winner).

“The NLSA is extremely please to have the Canadian U-16 national team come to Newfoundland and Labrador for a ten-day camp in St. John’s,” says Doug Redmond, president of the NLSA. “It is a great opportunity for our players, coaches and fans see our national team in training. The national U16 team will play three games against our senior teams during their visit and it will give our teams some exceptional competition. The Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association and the St. John’s Soccer Association are extremely pleased to partner with the Canadian Soccer Association.”

The Canadian U-16 camp features players born in 1991 or later. These players will be eligible for the next two FIFA U-20 World Cups (2009 and 2011), albeit most would likely challenge for a position on the 2011 team. Players born in 1992 would also be eligible for the FIFA U-17 World Cup 2009.

I am sorry guys, been really busy and only doing a hit and run on this board. I do have a team pic from Saskatoon with names (not provinces of origin). Been meaning to do a followup on the second game...just haven't had time. If anyone has an account with a photo hosting service who is willing to post the pic I have, let me know and I will e-mial it to them.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am sorry guys, been really busy and only doing a hit and run on this board. I do have a team pic from Saskatoon with names (not provinces of origin). Been meaning to do a followup on the second game...just haven't had time. If anyone has an account with a photo hosting service who is willing to post the pic I have, let me know and I will e-mial it to them.

I have a webshots account. In which, I have an album dedicated to soccer. send me an email.

Freekick. Sent the photo to the addy I had, but it bounced back as undeliverable. Your profile has no contact info specified. I will "unhide" my address in my profile - hopefully not too many nigerians will contact me :-) - if you want to drop me a quick note and I'll try to send it again.

Here we go with the roster and matches:

Men’s U-16 Team

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Canada sets roster for U-16 camp and matches

Canada’s men’s U-16 team roster is set for the ten-day camp taking place in St-John’s Nfld under head coach Sean Fleming. The camp starts 7 September and runs until 17 September. The training and matches will take place at the King George V Park in St. John’s. The camp is a joint venture between the Canadian Soccer Association, Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association, and the St. John’s Soccer Association.

"It will be a great test for the team to play three challenging matches in a five day period and this is similar to Qualifying Tournaments so it will show the players how difficult it can be," says head coach Sean Fleming.

The U-16 team will play three exhibition games against local senior teams. The three exhibition matches are scheduled for 12 September (7 pm vs. Memorial University), 14 (7pm vs. Mount Pearl) and 16 (6pm vs. St. Lawrence).

"The camp in Saskatoon was excellent and the player’s attitude and commitment was great," says Fleming. "We will hope to build upon that in this camp and a few new players will get the opportunity to stake their claim on a place in this age group."

Pos. Name Hometown

D AUGUSTIN, Francesco Montreal, QC

F BAKER, Jerome Toronto, ON

D BASSI, Derrick Delta, BC

M BRAR, Manvir Brampton, ON

M COBBY, Kevin Brampton, ON

F/M COSTOUROS, Joseph Edmonton, AB

D DE CHANTAL DUMONT, Samuel St. Alexandre, QC

D DINKOTA, Serge Sainte-Foy, QC

M GAGE, Ethan Cochrane, AB

M HALLIDAY, Jeremy Mississauga, ON

D HEMPHILL, Ben White Rock, BC

GK HUMPHREYS, Jarrett Waterloo, ON

M JOSAN, Gagandeep Surrey, BC

GK LATENDRESSE LÉVESQUE, Julien Chambly, QC

M MERETTE, Damiem Gatineau, QC

D MORGAN, Ashtone Toronto, ON

D ROBERTS, Dominic Ajax, ON

F SANDHU, Sahil Surrey, BC

Sean Fleming - Head Coach

Jim Cannovan - Assistant Coach

Djamel Laarabi - Goalkeeper Coach / Equipment Manager

Dave Nutt - National Teams Administrator

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Here we go with the roster and matches:

Men’s U-16 Team

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Canada sets roster for U-16 camp and matches

Sean Fleming - Head Coach

Jim Cannovan - Assistant Coach

Djamel Laarabi - Goalkeeper Coach / Equipment Manager

Dave Nutt - National Teams Administrator

Why oh why would ... you have Jim Canovan as an assistant..why not one of the younger coaches ...newly minted as a C or B licence by the CSA ...where hell is the development having Jimmy C coaching as an assistant..versus a new younger coach ?

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the U16's play St. Lawerence the Newfoundland Challange cup champions. U16's won 1-0 on a St. Lawerence defensive error at the 4 minute mark. Both teams played good football but neither team had admirable finishing. Posession was about even. Midfield seems to be the strengh of this U16. Number 15 in pirticular was very skilled and played on the wing (i think left). St. Lawerence hasn't lost one game this whole season so to beat them says alot--especially considering the Laurentians had what appeared to be their full line-up. Wasn't too impressed with the offensive game of the U16 wingbacks, too many long balls to strikers IMO--however they defend okay and are not a liability. There seems to be no player who really stands out with the U16's apart from the outside midfielder previously mentioned. Their was a center midfielfer who was their captian he was pretty skilled also, but I can't remember his number or name. (sorry guys)

The U16's beat Newfoundland Challenge cup runner up Mount Pearl 2-0. Wasn't there but heard it wasn't a good game.

I never seen the MUN game but based on the St. Lawerence game, I'm surprised Memorial got away with a draw.

Here's the CSA report for the trip in Newfounland:

Men’s U-16 Team

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

U16s enjoy success in Newfoundland

Canada's men's U-16 national team wrapped up their highly-successful training camp in St. John's, NL. They finished with a perfect three wins in three matches against local competition. The U-16 team (players born on or after January 1, 1991)played matches against Memorial University (12 September), Mount Pearl (14 September) and St. Lawrence (16 September).

Canadian head coach Sean Fleming was very pleased with the effort, results and opportunity provided by the joint venture between the Canadian Soccer Association, St. John’s Soccer Association and Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association (NLSA).

“This is a great opportunity after our previous camp to build on our team organization and to see how these players can handle the competition of three games in five days,” said Fleming. “It was an honour to play at King George V Park.”

The beautifully remodeled King George V Park was the venue for the matches and training sessions, providing the young Canadians with the added experience of competing in the same venue where the Canadian National Team qualified for their only World Cup some 22 years ago.

“It was an honour to play on King George V Park, where the Canadian national team qualified for their World Cup in the 1980s," said Team captain, Ethan Gage. "The facilities and (the) training were great and we were well taken care of.”

Despite giving away the edge in experience, the Canadians were able to open the camp by sneaking past Memorial University on striker Jerome Baker’s shootout-winning goal after a 0:0 draw. Against St. Lawrence, the most anticipated contest of the camp, a second-minute marker from striker Sahil Sandhu after a scramble in front of the goal sent the Canadians to a 1:0 victory over St. Lawrence. The Canadians wrapped up the camp with a 2:0 victory over Mount Pearl on goals by Gage in the 24th minute and Baker in the 85th minute.

Thanks to local support, this is the second opportunity that the men's U-16 team has had to assemble over the past two months. Previously, the group was together for a week-long camp in Saskatoon, SK following the U16 Boys All-Stars competition in late July. Fleming sees these types of opportunities and support as essential for these young players, who hope to eventually represent Canada in qualifying for the FIFA U-20 World Cup 2011.

“These two camps have been great opportunities for the 1991 development team,” said Fleming. “Hopefully other developmental teams can have similar experiences. A great deal of credit must be given to the provincial associations and their districts for their generous support of the national youth teams.”

Doug Redman, President of the NLSA added, “the St. John's Soccer Association and the Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association were very pleased to have Canada's national U-16 boys team in Newfoundland and Labrador for a ten-day camp which included three exciting exhibition games. We feel it necessary for provinces to work with the Canadian Soccer Association to provide competition and camps for our national youth teams.”

Here is the team picture with names

n593305191_1345221_429.jpg

Top left to right :SANDHU, Sahil HALLIDAY, Jeremy MERETTE, Damiem HEMPHILL, Ben BASSI, Derrick BAKER, Jerome COBBY, Kevin GAGE, Ethan BIMBA, Osmo

Bottom: AUGUSTIN, Francesco BRAR, Manvir JOSAN, Gagandeep HUMPHREYS, Jarrett LATENDRESSE LÉVESQUE, Julien MORGAN, Ashtone DINKOTA, Serge ROBERTS, Dominic COSTOUROS, Joseph

• 3 weeks later...

Gagan Josan is a 1992 player who plays for me at Surrey United. He is simply an outstanding talent. He has been offered a contract by Glasgow Celtic. However, there are lots of details to work out due to work visa issues. The words from Tommy Burns, head of youth development at Celtic, "an absolutely outstanding talent. He is the best at this age level and the next levels up. I want him here. I want him here now!"

I watched Gagan and two of my other players train with the Celtic U-19's and the Reserves. Gagan was the cream of the crop. A natural midfielder, he is getting better all the time. Incidentally, another one of my players, Bobby Jhutty has signed with Sparta Rotterdam and has moved there two months ago. Another South Asian with outstanding talent. Nice to see. The tide has turned as far as South Asian players are concerned.

Archived