Linford has company ...

Stephen LaRose

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Oh come on!!!!!, he's joking. As first generation Canadian of Italian Backgound, I got a chuckle out of this assertion while discussing this over lunch with another Voyageurs today of similar extraction.

There are too many Italian accents at the CSA!!!!

Of Italian Backround ??? by the sound of it you also don't mind eating cake![:I]

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Not suggesting that we NOT release something to the media. I agree, it is important to take some sort of action. But pretty soon we'll have to roll up our sleeves and do some real work if we want to be taken seriously. I suspect that we are not, in general, particularly enthused about doing what it takes to affect change. Some are, for sure, but I don't believe we've the critical mass yet. And that is fine--this is a fan site more than anything. Fans rants. Fans rarely take real action, save for NOT buying tickets to games, which we all know is NOT a particularly effective way for us to affect change. No beef or bitterness here; just facing reality.

Speak for yourself Beaver....I'm ready to do what it takes to create change. I have already contacted my local club to get information about the getting involved moreso than just at the coaching ranks.

Furthermore, I have been in correspondence with media all over Canada for the past 2 days because I have lost patience waiting for the Voyageurs to make up their minds and publish a press release. I have already been told by two reporters that the rant email I sent yesterday encouraged them to prepare a piece on the Linford resignation. I have been in touch with another prominent columnist who promises to use his column to keep the pressure on the CSA.

We love to debate on this forum but its time for a decision to be made. We don't need a unanimous vote...enough people have voiced support for El Hombre's latest draft of the Press Release so let's get it out there. If you want me to do it, just say the word and it will be done. I've got the next few days off so I can make it happen.

i am not content to see endless debate and no action. Those of you who really care about this issue need to stand and do what you can as well.

quote:Originally posted by pulsar

Being 1st generation canadian of italian parentage, my words for Mr. Impact...get over yourself....don't take offense....like everyone else who has power, they as well have an agenda. Ego is the worst thing that comes with power and it shares no nationality boundaries .Wherever the people in the CSA are from....they need to be toppled.....lets get a new, forward thinking generation of people out there. As i stated in another forum, i am only learning more as this goes on and am far from from claiming myself knowledgable about the inner workings of the CSA. But i will side with Jeffrey and the Beaver, i as well will not support the next President of the CSA.

first generation Italian eh, If anybody should know that Italian Canadians are not corrupt, IT SHOULD BE YOU!. I seriously doubt your parents were ever on welfare.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

first generation Italian eh, If anybody should know that Italian Canadians are not corrupt, IT SHOULD BE YOU!. I seriously doubt your parents were ever on welfare.

Hmmmm..maybe you missed my point...%99.99999.....of ALL immigrants that come here are extremely hard working and contribute immensley to canadian society, including Italians......the other .0000000999 have courrupt ways...including Italians.....IE: The Italian Mafia...oh right i forgot, they don't exist. [8D] The Russian Mob...hmmm..a side of bullets with your cabbage roll?.....c'mon Mr. Impact...every ethnic community has their bad apples.....

We are learning as this drama plays out that most of the people involved in the CSA are egotistical volunteers who are craving a little power......so a few happen to be italian.....or of italian decent...big deal...I am moving to Italy in mid october...I will let you know how well the FIGC is run over there.....i doubt they have any problems in their organization:D

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Please, I am a 1st gen Canadian of italian parentage too. Don't let me get started listing off all the corrupt garbage I've seen Italian Canadians pull. The list is as long as my arm, and that's only stuff I have first hand knowledge of. All ethnic communities have their crooks and the Italian community is no better or worse than any of them.

Let's get this thread back on topic

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Please, I am a 1st gen Canadian of italian parentage too. Don't let me get started listing off all the corrupt garbage I've seen Italian Canadians pull. The list is as long as my arm, and that's only stuff I have first hand knowledge of. All ethnic communities have their crooks and the Italian community is no better or worse than any of them.

hear hear and thank you

Guest speedmonk42

Firstly, it isn't useful or helpful to start ethnic mud-slinging.

---------

I do agree, but it does seem to be ok if they are of UK descent.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I take issue when the Italian community is singled out. By the way Pulsar, who are the Italian Canadians currently involved with CSA?

Not that is should matter (and I defended Mr. Impact earlier regarding the possible ethnic generalizations), but...

Nick Fillippone, Director, Professional (whatever that means)

Mike Traficante, Director

Vince Ursini, Director, Finance

Victor Montagliani, Vice President

Dominic Maestracci, Vice President (did someone say his background is Corsican?)

The point is, well, there is no point. The Technical side has been slagged for years on this board for being "too British".

If people don't like the make-up of the Board, get involved with the administration of soccer in our country. Is that something you are willing to do - donate thousands of hours as a volunteer? Because that is precisely what is required.

quote:

Speak for yourself Beaver....I'm ready to do what it takes to create change. I have already contacted my local club to get information about the getting involved moreso than just at the coaching ranks.

Furthermore, I have been in correspondence with media all over Canada for the past 2 days because I have lost patience waiting for the Voyageurs to make up their minds and publish a press release. I have already been told by two reporters that the rant email I sent yesterday encouraged them to prepare a piece on the Linford resignation. I have been in touch with another prominent columnist who promises to use his column to keep the pressure on the CSA.

We love to debate on this forum but its time for a decision to be made. We don't need a unanimous vote...enough people have voiced support for El Hombre's latest draft of the Press Release so let's get it out there. If you want me to do it, just say the word and it will be done. I've got the next few days off so I can make it happen.

i am not content to see endless debate and no action. Those of you who really care about this issue need to stand and do what you can as well.

Sounds like this needs to be voted on by the Voyageurs Board of Directors!

quote:Originally posted by fishman

Not that is should matter (and I defended Mr. Impact earlier regarding the possible ethnic generalizations), but...

Nick Fillippone, Director, Professional (whatever that means)

Mike Traficante, Director

Vince Ursini, Director, Finance

Victor Montagliani, Vice President

Dominic Maestracci, Vice President (did someone say his background is Corsican?)

The point is, well, there is no point. The Technical side has been slagged for years on this board for being "too British".

If people don't like the make-up of the Board, get involved with the administration of soccer in our country. Is that something you are willing to do - donate thousands of hours as a volunteer? Because that is precisely what is required.

Finally! Thanks Fishman

I can't speak for the others, but I know that Nick Fillippone, has been involved with quebec soccer for ages, and has done great things at both the amateur and professional levels in Quebec. I'm sure the same could be said about the other gentlemen on the BOD.

My final point in asking for the names of Italian Canadians on the Board, I just wanted to prove that Italian Canadians do more then their share for Canadian society, weather it be Sports Business, Culture Etc. As for the criminals they get what they deserve. So stop sterotyping, and for all you other so called Ital-Canadians, be proud and stop pissing on you're own.

Ethnic stereotyping is out of order in my opinion. Reading between the lines of Colin Linford's comments I suspect some of those named may have been people he thought supported what he was trying to do but they deserted him when the going got tough because they wanted to keep their post at the next set of elections. That behaviour pattern is not confined to any particular nationality. In my experience, most officeholders will act like that in the context of soccer organizations because they depend on keeping a small group of influential people happy to keep their post. The only thing that surprises me is how someone who was willing to rock the boat as much as Colin Linford did made it all the way to the top.

Agreed, ethnic stereotyping is out of order....and maybe this is just me as a "so called Italo-Canadian"....I do prefer just Canadian though, As we are a multi-cultural country, i prefer to sometimes laugh at the stereotypes thrown my way. I see it as a healthy way to look at life in Canada. I actually do respect Mr. Impact and where he is coming from, but a sensitivity level so high and mighty amongst the Italian communtity is "a-la-Soprano" and anti-Canadian in my book. God bless my roots and i shall never "piss" on them but be Canadian. We are here now.

Agreed, ethnic stereotyping is out of order....and maybe this is just me as a "so called Italo-Canadian"....I do prefer just Canadian though, As we are a multi-cultural country, i prefer to sometimes laugh at the stereotypes thrown my way. I see it as a healthy way to look at life in Canada. I actually do respect Mr. Impact and where he is coming from, but a sensitivity level so high and mighty amongst the Italian communtity is "a-la-Soprano" and anti-Canadian in my book. God bless my roots and i shall never "piss" on them but be Canadian. We are here now.

Agreed, ethnic stereotyping is out of order....and maybe this is just me as an Italo-Canadian....I do prefer just Canadian though, As we are a multi-cultural country, i prefer to sometimes laugh at the stereotypes thrown my way. I see it as a healthy way to look at life in Canada. I actually do respect Mr. Impact and where he is coming from, but a sensitivity level so high and mighty amongst the Italian communtity is "a-la-Soprano", the furthest thing from being Italian. God bless my roots and i shall never "piss" on them but be Canadian. We are here now.

Agreed, ethnic stereotyping is out of order....and maybe this is just me as an Italo-Canadian....I do prefer just Canadian though, As we are a multi-cultural country, i prefer to sometimes laugh at the stereotypes thrown my way. I see it as a healthy way to look at life in Canada. I actually do respect Mr. Impact and where he is coming from, but a sensitivity level so high and mighty amongst the Italian communtity is "a-la-Soprano", the furthest thing from being Italian. God bless my roots and i shall never "piss" on them but be Canadian. We are here now.

quote:Originally posted by Stephen LaRose

Maybe he could get MLSE to knock a few heads at the CSA. Then again, asking for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment's assistance in anything is a sign of desparation, but these are desperate times.

What's wrong wtih having MLSE come in. They are professional and results-driven which is exactly what the CSA needs right now.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

What's wrong wtih having MLSE come in. They are professional and results-driven which is exactly what the CSA needs right now.

My question to you is what is right if MLSE comes in??

You are right in your assertion that MLSE is results driven. But they are only driven to fill THEIR pocket books. They are in for profit for THEMSELVES!!!

Any other results you think they have are falacies. And even on the business side they are not always right (ie. Marlies). On the playing surface they have done nothing. No championships for the Leafs, Raptors, Marlies, and TFC is seriously struggling (granted, its their 1st year).

What makes some people on this board think MLSE has anything to offer for the CSA. And more to the point why would MLSE even care? If you are tlaking about developing soccer talent, then MLSE ccan set their own acadamey up without CSA interferance. In any other aspect MLSE would not dedicate resources. At most minor ones in the realm of consultation for thier own self interest. Anything else is wishfull thinking. Why? Because MLSE is an entity with no HUMAN face. In Montreal and Vancouver you have ownership that you can attach a face to. And owners with a real passion and love of the game. MLSE?? Corporate structure with a board whose primary goal is to increase shareholder value. No face. No passion. Even if one section of the group does come out saying they have a love of the game and want soem change, they still must go through the rest of the board to make it go.

MLSE only looked at the MLS to generate monies during its off-season. Its an entiry whose business basically stopped generating revenue during the summer months. A few years back MLSE looked at opening a chain of restaurants in the GTA and Southern Ontario for this purpose. For whatever reason it didn;t go through. Instead they have gotten nto condo development and the MLS.

MLSE has no real passion for the game. Soccer is a reason to increase revenue. I mean, do you actually think your child's teacher gives a hoot about who is the CSA's technical director or who their head coaches are?? Cause thats the level it would have to reach for this to move. MLSE will only look at financial numbers and the national level serves them no purpose, much like Hockey Canada doesn't do them much for the Leafs. Our biggest allies in change I believe rest in Kerfoot and Saputo.

quote:Originally posted by boban1

My question to you is what is right if MLSE comes in??

You are right in your assertion that MLSE is results driven. But they are only driven to fill THEIR pocket books. They are in for profit for THEMSELVES!!!

Any other results you think they have are falacies. And even on the business side they are not always right (ie. Marlies). On the playing surface they have done nothing. No championships for the Leafs, Raptors, Marlies, and TFC is seriously struggling (granted, its their 1st year).

What makes some people on this board think MLSE has anything to offer for the CSA. And more to the point why would MLSE even care? If you are tlaking about developing soccer talent, then MLSE ccan set their own acadamey up without CSA interferance. In any other aspect MLSE would not dedicate resources. At most minor ones in the realm of consultation for thier own self interest. Anything else is wishfull thinking. Why? Because MLSE is an entity with no HUMAN face. In Montreal and Vancouver you have ownership that you can attach a face to. And owners with a real passion and love of the game. MLSE?? Corporate structure with a board whose primary goal is to increase shareholder value. No face. No passion. Even if one section of the group does come out saying they have a love of the game and want soem change, they still must go through the rest of the board to make it go.

MLSE only looked at the MLS to generate monies during its off-season. Its an entiry whose business basically stopped generating revenue during the summer months. A few years back MLSE looked at opening a chain of restaurants in the GTA and Southern Ontario for this purpose. For whatever reason it didn;t go through. Instead they have gotten nto condo development and the MLS.

MLSE has no real passion for the game. Soccer is a reason to increase revenue. I mean, do you actually think your child's teacher gives a hoot about who is the CSA's technical director or who their head coaches are?? Cause thats the level it would have to reach for this to move. MLSE will only look at financial numbers and the national level serves them no purpose, much like Hockey Canada doesn't do them much for the Leafs. Our biggest allies in change I believe rest in Kerfoot and Saputo.

Your right about MLSEL being driven by bottom line. But there are a great many ways in which INDIRECTLY and UNINTENTIONALLY they will help the CSA. Foremost in the area soccer resources at the administrative level and Managerial levels. If I am not mistaken, I believe that employ a staff in excess of fifty people. Thats fifty more people than there was before TFC was around with the kind of work experience that could be very useful and applicable to the CSA in filling many of their vacancies. Thats includes fields of Communications, Sales, Marketing and administrative. If you are the CSA these days and need to fill a VP job or a CEO job, who are you going to find in Canada who, in addition to the basic managerial skill, has a back ground in soccer at a high performance level?

For example, that last opening for a PR / communications job at the CSA was filled by someone who did same functions for the Impact previously. Yet the operation for the Impact is much much smaller. MLSEL is a much bigger organization and the full time staff IMO would have been exposed and gain an experience that that would/should be valuable to the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Your right about MLSEL being driven by bottom line. But there are a great many ways in which INDIRECTLY and UNINTENTIONALLY they will help the CSA. Foremost in the area soccer resources at the administrative level and Managerial levels. If I am not mistaken, I believe that employ a staff in excess of fifty people. Thats fifty more people than there was before TFC was around with the kind of work experience that could be very useful and applicable to the CSA in filling many of their vacancies. Thats includes fields of Communications, Sales, Marketing and administrative. If you are the CSA these days and need to fill a VP job or a CEO job, who are you going to find in Canada who, in addition to the basic managerial skill, has a back ground in soccer at a high performance level?

For example, that last opening for a PR / communications job at the CSA was filled by someone who did same functions for the Impact previously. Yet the operation for the Impact is much much smaller. MLSEL is a much bigger organization and the full time staff IMO would have been exposed and gain an experience that that would/should be valuable to the CSA.

That's fine and dandy. But we ain't talking about filling a position when there is a vacancy. We're talking about overhauling the organisation, and that is something MLSE doesn't care for.

Archived