MLS Rumors on expansion

Luis_Rancagua

According to Internet website MLS Rumors (http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com), it appears that the real cities who have taking a huge lead in their bids are Philadelphia, Seattle and St Louis.

----------------------------

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

EXPANSION: A tale of three cities: Philadelphia, Seattle, St Louis on track for '09 and 2010 expansion.

According to a source close to MLS HQ, "There are three cities in advanced stages of their plans. The Commissioner will announce two of them by this year's MLS Cup. A third may yet be announced in early 2008."

MLSR has learned that Philadelphia and Seattle have reached 'an advanced stage in their path towards becoming MLS expansion cities for 09. In Seattle, at least one investment group has hired an architectural firm to draw up plans for a 21,000 seat soccer specific stadium. The political process is moving forward in Philadelphia with the Governor giving the plan to build a soccer specific stadium in Chester, PA just outside of the city. In both cities the services of several sports marketing firms have been procured by would-be owner investors. Trademarks are pending and Internet domain names are being registered. In St Louis, the owner and MLS are awaiting the results a September vote on a plan to build a stadium in Collinsville, IL just outside of St Louis.

In an ever changing MLS expansion picture, Las Vegas and Portland have dropped to being likely in the 2010 expansion one of which would likely join a 2nd New York City club.

Two new teams in both 2009 and 2010? Does anyone else feel that increasing the size of the league by 50% in four seasons is crazy, or am I the only one? I know Beckham's raking in the cash for the MLS right now, but I still don't see that soccer's place in America has fundamentally changed. This feels way too much like the NHL suckering expansion fees out of anyone with a pulse back in the 90's, and that just gives me a bad feeling about it all.

According to Internet website MLS Rumors (http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com), it now appears that the Philadelphia franchise will be called Philadelphia Independence Football Club, even though Philadelphia has not been awarded the franchise yet. Nevertheless, their bid has now taking the lead, and it does appear that Philadelphia is more likely to win the bid to represent the Eastern Conference than any other contender.

MLS Rumors is reporting that they got this information from someone purported to be part of the marketing and design firm employed by an investment group looking to bring MLS to Philadelphia. This sources has also enveiled an early mock up logo of the club. I must inform everyone here that this is not the actual logo. It's only an early mickey mouse logo that's expected to get replace by a more sophisticated one

philadelphiafckh2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

That badge looks ass without the cheesy soccer ball on it.

YIKES.

Throw it out. Baby, bathwater, the whole lot. That's one damned ugly kid. It won't be missed.

I figure the badge is a working copy. However much they retool the other parts of it they'll still end up with the cheesy ball, because that is what soccer clubs in the USA and Canada think is a requirement for team logos.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

As much as that logo is terrible, i like the direction they are going with this. No more crappy nicknames like "galaxy" or "fire". It's drawing from the history of the city (even thouh it will be in the burbs) witch is a nice change.

Uh, Chicago is drawing from their history with the name "Fire". Why is "Fire" any less legitimate than "Independence"?

Guest Jeffery S.

Independance is a good soccer name, because it sounds like a typical one without being at all typical.

The badge is ridiculous, they just stuck in a couple of cliché things about Philadelphia and divided up the thing with them. Whoever designed it was scared out of his mind, was afraid of being original. I am surprised there is no image of Tom Hanks kissing Antonio Bandersas in profile.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Uh, Chicago is drawing from their history with the name "Fire". Why is "Fire" any less legitimate than "Independence"?

Fair enough ... it was a bad example. But the point still holds for some of the mickey mouse names the league has used in the past for teams.

During the years of the NASL, Philadelphia had 2 names the Atoms (1973-1976) and the Fury (1978-1980). Now these were certainly mickey mouse names that held no historic significance with the city of Philadelphia.

Philadelphia_Atoms.gifPhiladelphia_Fury.gif

I'm curious to know whether Seattle will retain the name Sounders, that's if they are awarded the bid for the Western Conference.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

As much as that logo is terrible, i like the direction they are going with this. No more crappy nicknames like "galaxy" or "fire". It's drawing from the history of the city (even thouh it will be in the burbs) which is a nice change.

By the way, a team in a city of stars is quite appropriately called the Galaxy. Very coherent, and very much in the space age tradition that a lot of teams have been named after in US pro leagues since the 60s.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Independance is a good soccer name, because it sounds like a typical one without being at all typical.

Have to disagree on the "Independence" part. Call me old-fashioned but I've never been a big fan of singular team names like the Fire or the Fury. They all seem very awkward to these ears.

For one thing, what would you call an individual player for this team - an Independent? a Philadelphia player? I'm guessing just w*nker, but you see my point.

Having said that, a singular like Toronto FC or DC United is different. It's at least got some soccer heritage behind it and it's not trying too hard to be different just for the sake of it. I mean really - the Kansas City Wiz?

MLS needs expansion to help get the game to a larger area of the country in America. Im sure the People in Philly don't get to excited watching the LA galaxy play the Chicago Fire, they need their own team to support. And Philly is agreats sports town the team will be supported. Yes some of the team monikers need changing, Wizards,Dynamo, are not the best going.

Archived