Antonio Puerta has died

loyola

Guest Jeffery S.

Sad day for Sevilla and for Spain, a terrible ending.

I hope Sevilla is not made to play vs. AEK tonight, as that would be disgraceful on UEFA's part, despite all the logistic questions. I recall bitterly UEFA forcing Spanish teams to play the day of the train bombings in Madrid, what a pathetic lot they were. Let's hope this new executive is marginally more sensitive to the question, I mean these guys have just lost a teammate. It was already bad enough of UEFA to make the game go ahead in Greece where the country is in mourning for 60 plus fire deaths (and an earthquake today to top things off), and where they had cancelled both Cup and weekend league games, quite rightly of course. UEFA is going to get a phone call from me if they force them to play.

How thorough are medical exams at the Club level? Every once in a while you hear of a player failing his medical (usually when he transfers), but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be prudent to check on a player's heart condition as a precaution.

Sadly, this isn't the first time and it won't be the last time.

Well, if you've just had a heart attack, you should be transported to a hospital ASAP, and not be walk around the field and the dressing room.

Somehow, I think that the story would have been different if he was taken straight to the hospital.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Well, if you've just had a heart attack, you should be transported to a hospital ASAP, and not be walk around the field and the dressing room.

Somehow, I think that the story would have been different if he was taken straight to the hospital.

from the reports I read, at first the doctors thought he simply fainted. I find that hard to believe as he was clearly having some kind of seizure and you could see his teammate trying to keep him from swallowing his tongue. I watched the game and it was disturbing to watch him sort of thrash around but when he walked off, I thought that maybe he had an epileptic seizure.

This is very sad. So young. I am sure you will hear in upcoming days that he had some kind of undiagnosed heart disorder

Guest Jeffery S.

Regarding the medical side of things, I have to say a couple things.

First it can be damn hot in Spain, and Sevilla especially, so fainting is possible. Supposedly Puerta had a history of fainting, but usually you solve this with better liquid levels and diet.

He has no history of injuries, probably would not have to be using any drugs for recovery, and his coaches say he always trained very hard and in sprints or exercises led the pack, was in great shape.

Finally, all players come back from holidays and do a medical, very thorough, and then are given them regularly over the year. Much better than anything you or I will ever see. Perhaps they should have taken him directly to the hospital, that was perhaps an error, but it is all in retrospect. A tragic incident, I would not make much more out of the medical issue.

What I liked about Puerta was the feeling you were watching a kid play, he was fresh and had that face like a young man, eager and open and enjoying himself. He was immature still, I mean he was not cocky in press conferences or anything, and I liked that. He was still a young guy enjoying being with the elites and not at all arrogant or haughty. And he played like that too, with energy and pleasure, so I have a good memory of Puerta because of his freshness.

Archived