Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Start fan in exile

Ole Gunnar Solskjær, agruably the greatest Norwegian soccer player of all time, and a hero to Man U fans on par with Eric Cantona and George Best, announced his retirement today. Solskær has struggled with a knee injury the past few years, and while he fought his way back to health and the pitch last season, a further two operations this off-season prompted him to finally call it quits.

While most remember Solskær for his winning goal against Bayern Munich in the 1999 Champions League, ManU faithful loved him for his loyalty to both the club and the supporters, his willingness to do everything - both on and off the pitch - to help the club succeed, and, of course, his many goals (often coming off the bench) which earned him the nickname "the baby-faced assassin".

Yep a special player, even if he was a red. Was a fantastic super-sub.

After Beckham left, Fergie put him out wide right, until his knee problems started, and he adjusted quite magnificently. His only problem was getting served in a pub, he has alway been and always will be 14 years old!! Thanks for entertaining us Ole!!

What a servant he was - a true professional. One of those every club wanted. Easily one of my all-time favourite players - and who can forget "THAT GOAL!" - "munich don't know what's hit them - MANCHESTER's hit them!"

a little tribute from the Old Trafford Faithful...

"you are my Solksjaer, my ole solksjaer, you'll never know ole how much we love you, Please don't take my Ole away" - to the tune of You Are My Sunshine.

Archived