Real v. Athletico and Barca v Racing - GOLTV

VPjr

Am I the only one left scratching my head over the fact that GolTV did not broadcast the Real Madrid v. Athletico Madrid game on Saturday (even though it was scheduled to be broadcast) and instead, a replay of the Bayern Munich match from earlier in the day was telecast.

Then, this afternoon, I turned on the tube to watch the Barcelona v. Racing match only to find a replay of yesterday's Sevilla v Getafe match. There was a ticker running on the bottom of the screen in Spanish that said something about this game not being shown anywhere in the world but my spanish is poor so I am not sure if the translation is accurate.

Anyone have any info? This was truly frustrating because these were the 2 matches I was looking forward to most this weekend (sadly, even more than the TFC match I suffered through last night at BMO).

Guest Jeffery S.

Racing-Barça was terrible, a real disappointment. You did not miss anything. The team is looking to be a real dud this year. My opinion is that we have the wrong coach, we need someone to kick butt. And if Berlusconi wants to offer us anything more than 40 million for Ronaldinho, I'd take it. Now. Before the transfer deadline. He is already in decline sad to say.

Jeffrey, I totally agree with your assesment on FCB.

- coach is useless

- too many superstars now, not enough grinders who don't need the glory. How do you fit Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto'o and henry on the same pitch

- losing Guily was a big loss in my opinion

I dont agree with you at all Jeffrey and VPjr.

Coach is useless..??

He won the League in 2005 and 2006

Spanish Supercup 2005 and 2006

Champions League 2006

And he won Best Coach of the world in 2006 award.

I think Rijkaard is a great coach who also reached the Semi Final with Holland at Euro 2000 missing 2 penalties in regular time and losing in a penalty shoot-out to Italy.

Barcelona may have a lot of star players but they play as a team as well. They were awesome in the 2 years they won consecutive league titles and they literally gifted the title to Real Madrid last year. Rijkaard also gives the youth a chance and sticks with them. What other coach would give a chance to Messi and Giovani at their age..? Only a Dutch coach would.

They have bought really smart as well and they did buy grinders. Gabriel Milito and Yaya Toure will give you that and Abidal doesnt mind a tackle as well. They are big and physical...

I only have my concerns with the goalkeeper and I have been for years. I think Valdes is not good enough to be a starter. I think they should sign Heurelho Gomes from PSV and Igor Akinfeev from CSKA Moscow next year to compete for a starting place...

And losing Giuly is a big loss..?? He is so overrated...

FC Barcelona dont need him at all. They have enough pace and creativity up front especially with the 2 young lads coming thru the youth ranks (Giovani dos Santos and Bojan Krkic)

Barca should stick with Rijkaard and if they dont they should hire another Dutch coach. Only Dutch managers can win trophies with FCB....History has proven it... :)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Jeffrey, I totally agree with your assesment on FCB.

- coach is useless

- too many superstars now, not enough grinders who don't need the glory. How do you fit Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto'o and henry on the same pitch

- losing Guily was a big loss in my opinion

Nice to see you thought well of Giuly too. We won the leagues and the Champions with him, not with Messi. Even though I won't miss him, and it was a good sale, Giuly was very important for Barça.

The team is already repeating bad patterns from last year, thankfully the fans and press are onto them early. Either we play amazingly and look to be blowing out the rival then let them back in dumbly, or we get totally bogged down in ball control and there is no capacity to break down an organized defence. Barça is finally getting help from refs too. I say if we fall into the same patterns chronically the only logical choice is to can Rijkaard and hire someone with a mandate to play the guys that work in the positions that most make sense. Because he is not really too sophisticated tactically, he is playing the same system that Cruyff and some of the board members forced him to use halfway through his first season, and Touré, a really fine player, is Davids all over again.

Jeffrey, I watched Saturday's match and was so impressed for spells and then so frustrated at other times by Barca. They can be the most entertaining, positive club in the world but they go into funks where they just simply stop playing. I guess one could argue that the other team adjusts to keep Barca from doing what they are best at but I just scratch my head when I watch them play.

SCF08, maybe calling Rijkaard useless is a bit harsh but I just dont rate him as a great coach. He might be a players coach but I think that Barca can sometimes be a bit too predictable. I feel that they succeed these days only because of the dazzling talent of their players. I would love to see Raffa Benitez coach Barca. I don't know what it is but I just love his coaching style. I would also consider bringing in the egomaniac himself, Murinho. Some players would have to go though because there is not enough room on the team plane for all those egos.

Guest Jeffery S.

Jeffrey, I watched Saturday's match and was so impressed for spells and then so frustrated at other times by Barca. They can be the most entertaining, positive club in the world but they go into funks where they just simply stop playing. I guess one could argue that the other team adjusts to keep Barca from doing what they are best at but I just scratch my head when I watch them play.

SCF08, maybe calling Rijkaard useless is a bit harsh but I just dont rate him as a great coach. He might be a players coach but I think that Barca can sometimes be a bit too predictable. I feel that they succeed these days only because of the dazzling talent of their players. I would love to see Raffa Benitez coach Barca. I don't know what it is but I just love his coaching style. I would also consider bringing in the egomaniac himself, Murinho. Some players would have to go though because there is not enough room on the team plane for all those egos.

Hilarious how much we agree on things. Just these days, with Mourinho in the dog house at Chelsea, I have thought the same. He would be absolutely amazing at Barça, I really believe that. He could handle the guys who speak Portuguese well, he knows the guys coming out of England, he can stand the pressure. And he probably, deep down, would love to prove himself at Barça having been insulted as Bobby Robson's translator. Stranger things have happened.

I also think a serious young Spanish coach like Victor Fernández would do really well.

What has Mourinho got over Rijkaard then..??

Rijkaard has won more and definately more important trophies with a top team and Rijkaard has only had a tenth of the budget that Mourinho has been able to spend. Chelsea have more stars than Barca and he cant make a team...

Shevchenko , Ballack are way under par.

Also Mourinho is useless with young players. He cannot make a young player better and no youth player has been able to make the grade up at Chelsea.

Rijkaard has brought Iniesta , Messi , Giovani Dos Santos and Bojan Krkic into the team and they are improving fast. Also Rijkaard plays in a very attractive attacking way and that's what fans want to see at the end of the day....

Mourinho plays terrible football and it's long ball after long ball to Drogba and they fully rely on him , Lampard , Terry and Cech. Once one of those four is out injured they are nothing...It's been proven last year...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Rijkaard has won more and definately more important trophies with a top team and Rijkaard has only had a tenth of the budget that Mourinho has been able to spend. Chelsea have more stars than Barca and he cant make a team...

Also Mourinho is useless with young players. He cannot make a young player better and no youth player has been able to make the grade up at Chelsea.

Rijkaard has brought Iniesta , Messi , Giovani Dos Santos and Bojan Krkic into the team and they are improving fast. Also Rijkaard plays in a very attractive attacking way and that's what fans want to see at the end of the day....

Mourinho plays terrible football and it's long ball after long ball to Drogba and they fully rely on him , Lampard , Terry and Cech. Once one of those four is out injured they are nothing...It's been proven last year...

The question for me is that Rijkaard is a good people person, he can handle the divas if they are motivated. He is easy going and even keel. But he has yet to chastise anyone, he has always given the stars the benefit of the doubt, and he has never adjusted the system to the circumstances. Well hardly ever, and when he did, it worked once and then failed later.

Sometimes when you have so much talent you can put it on the field and it is enough, but other times, when that talent is no longer hungry for success (a bit the case at Barça), you have to kick butt in a big way. Or be a real fox tactically. Rijkaard can't do either.

As for budgets, I think you should check again what Barça spends on transfer payments and salaries. I mean, we have spent something like 60 million this year on four players. And we pay them so much that we have to end up giving them away cheap when we don't want them, just to reduce the salary load from players who are not going to be used.

Hate to interject here, but your man crush on Rijkaard is preventing you from looking objectively at the situation.

Mourinho proved himself with Porto when their budget was a 10th of what Barcelona had.

Shevchenko and Ballack were not Mourinho's choices. They're not his kind of players.

Mourinho is respected and defended by his former players. Players that were sometimes cast-offs from other teams that he molded into what they are now. Deco, Maniche (who went to **** after Mourinho left Porto), Carvalho. I still can't forgive Rijkaard for getting rid of Quaresma and Saviola when a good coach would have been able to 1) help Quaresma mature like Co Adrianse did and 2) recognize Saviola's talent

Rijkaard has a way better youth academy at his disposal. If Mourinho and Rijkaard switched places, Mourinho would be credited with being youth-friendly and Rijkaard wouldn't be able to do anything. Not as long as Arnesen controls the youth section at Chelsea.

Your analysis of Mourinho's tactics at Chelsea are dead on. But it beats Rijkaard's ' give the ball to Ronaldinho.'

I've already looked in a objective way at this situation.

Rijkaard has build this Barca side up. Rijkaard came in charge in the 2003/2004 season.

In his first year there he ended 2nd. In his second year Barca won the league title for the first time SINCE 1999. A year later they became Champions again and he won the Champions League and Manager of the World award. Last year they were really unfortunate not to be champions 3 times in a row.

That's all there needs to be. There's no point in a Rijkaard sacking and definately no Boring Mourinho appointment. It wouldnt work at Barca...simple as that.

And Rijkaard's tactic is definately not give the ball to Ronaldinho. You know that and I know that. He plays football the best way...

4-3-3 with a number 10..The Dutch way which wins trophies.

Like I said. 9 out of the last 10 League titles were won by a Dutch manager at Barca. Every league title won before that was in 1960 and back....And they only have 18 league titles in total.

I've already looked in a objective way at this situation.

Rijkaard has build this Barca side up. Rijkaard came in charge in the 2003/2004 season.

In his first year there he ended 2nd. In his second year Barca won the league title for the first time SINCE 1999. A year later they became Champions again and he won the Champions League and Manager of the World award. Last year they were really unfortunate not to be champions 3 times in a row.

That's all there needs to be. There's no point in a Rijkaard sacking and definately no Boring Mourinho appointment. It wouldnt work at Barca...simple as that.

And Rijkaard's tactic is definately not give the ball to Ronaldinho. You know that and I know that. He plays football the best way...

4-3-3 with a number 10..The Dutch way which wins trophies.

Like I said. 9 out of the last 10 League titles were won by a Dutch manager at Barca. Every league title won before that was in 1960 and back....And they only have 18 league titles in total.

I was joking about the give the ball to Ronaldinho comment, but without Ronaldinho's superb performances, Rijkaard would not have had the success he's enjoyed.

When Rijkaard can't even motivate the team against Real Madrid (they lost 2-1 in 04 giving them the first classico win in Barcelona since 84) followed up by 1 win and 2 draws at home, something is wrong. He's not all he's cracked up to be. The Netherlands can have him back if you think he's really that great.

And as a Barca fan, I resent the dutch influence in the Club. It's not that I don't admire the Dutch attacking play or even respect the coaches (Co Adrianse is a GOD, Hiddink to a lesser extent, and Rinus Michels of course). But the way things are at Barcelona, with Cruyff wielding so much power, things are out of balance.

Things are out of balance..?? There is a Championship team that wins the biggest trophies in the world. When Cruijff left Barca as a manager the club went struggling just a bit and when Cruijff became a sort of unofficial technical advisor and brought in Louis van Gaal all the succes returned as well with consecutive league titles.

And I dont believe that you are a Barca supporter if you resent the Dutch. The Dutch made that club to what it is now. Cruijff , Michels , Van Gaal and Rijkaard are the most succesfull managers ever in the hisotry of the club and they brought succes with the enjoyment of beautiful attacking play. But maybe this is a bit of case ''you dont know what you got till it's gone''

I do agree that Cruijff shouldnt be so dominant as he is because he is getting on a bit in age and also in vision.

And why do you think Adriaanse is a god :) ..? He is an absolutely brilliant manager but he's grabbing too many bad headlines. He is not a great person and a money-grabber. The things he did at AZ Alkmaar are both in a positive and negative way unbelievable...

I dont know if you know this story but after an important loss of AZ where they didnt play too well , He made his players look for easter eggs (it was that time) around the whole stadium and practice pitch. Only thing was that he didnt hide any egg just too take the piss out of his players and treat them like children. The poor lads were looking for at least 2 hours until they found out that the manager had tricked them. They werent happy...

Also after his resignation at Porto he first rejected HSV Hamburg and a English club to join Metalurg Donetsk and last summer he rejected Feyenoord and FC Utrecht in order to move to Al Sadd where he is going to make 1.4 Million Euro's tax free for 10 months.

There are rumours that he's going there in order to become the next ajax manager next year (he already once was and it's Co's team) as Henk ten Cate's contract will not be renewed.

The real hero Dutch manager is Guus Hiddink (That's what Dutch people think) with Leo Beenhakker second. Both are fantastic ambassador's for the game , great people managers and they can truly improve players which you dont see very often anymore.

Barca is a club that is supposedly owned by its members and run by elected representatives for their benefit. Not by shadowy men (regardless of how great they once were) who operate with zero accountability. That is what I mean by 'out of balance'.

As for you not thinking that I can be a Barca supporter and resent the Dutch at the same time...I am and I can. It used to bother me a great deal to watch 6 Dutch players in the starting lineup. I want the best possible team for Barca, not for the Dutch National team.

As for Adrianse, his stint at Porto proved that there was life after Mourinho. He turned a team with a lot of potential into a winning team. He was attacked by fans outside the training pitch for his insistence on playing with 3 defenders and was vindicated when they posted a better defensive record that year than under Mourinho.

He is a bit eccentric. So what? He's a genius. The last incident that provoked his departure was that he had the players wait until the technical staff finished eating, before they could have their meal. Good on him. If the players are going to be immature and childish, they need a boot up the back side. His methods might not be universally accepted but in one year he turned Quaresma from a brash and individual player into the Portuguese league's best player. The guy comes back and helps on defense....something that was unheard of! I've always thought he was more skilled than C. Ronaldo, but had a selfish personality that prevented him from fully developing.

quote:Originally posted by River City

His methods might not be universally accepted but in one year he turned Quaresma from a brash and individual player into the Portuguese league's best player. The guy comes back and helps on defense....something that was unheard of! I've always thought he was more skilled than C. Ronaldo, but had a selfish personality that prevented him from fully developing.

wow...when my Portugese friends tell me I am absolutely insane for thinking that Quaresma is likely a better talent than Ronaldo, I can tell them that I've got someone in Edmonton who agrees with me. Thanks

quote:Originally posted by River City

When Rijkaard can't even motivate the team against Real Madrid (they lost 2-1 in 04 giving them the first classico win in Barcelona since 84) followed up by 1 win and 2 draws at home, something is wrong. He's not all he's cracked up to be.

umm... they also won twice in the Bernabeu during the Rijkaard era. And one of those draws at home was a remarkable comeback with 10 men on the heels of a heart-breaking defeat to Liverpool! (and their other loss at home was a meaningless encounter).

And I dont believe that you are a Barca supporter if you resent the Dutch. The Dutch made that club to what it is now.

IF you support a club, then you support them no matter what.

The term "supporter" is actually thrown around way too loosely. If you like or dislike a team more because of the players they bring-in, the style of football they adopt or the number of trophies they haul-in, then you are not a supporter of that club. Plain and simple.

What I always find amusing is when people take it a step further. For example: they call themselves an Arsenal supporter because they are French or a Bergkamp fan. That's bad enough. But then they also pretend to hate Spurs. [V]

Is there anything weirder than people? :D

wow...when my Portugese friends tell me I am absolutely insane for thinking that Quaresma is likely a better talent than Ronaldo, I can tell them that I've got someone in Edmonton who agrees with me. Thanks

If it helps any, the reason I believe this is because 1) I am Portuguese and 2) I've been following the Portuguese League long enough to know the difference between a flash in the pan and a true star.

Quaresma was highly touted for success, had a very high sense of himself and wasn't afraid to tell people exactly what he thought. Going to a Club with an inexperienced manager, the two butted heads early and that was that. Ronaldo by contrast went to a club whose manager and technical team had experience in nurturing young talent. As long as Sir Alex can keep a firm command over Nani and Anderson (Nani especially), these two can have a huge impact on the Premiership.

Anyway, Quaresma's bad experience in Spain was actually a blessing in disguise for him (and for Porto fans) as it forced him to mature, take on team responsibilities and finally get called up to the national squad although Scolari still prefers Simao on the wing for purely political reasons. Quaresma's wonder goal against Belgium in Euro 2008 qualifying was testament to his skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEh4UAAwxM

That was not a fluke goal. He shoots with the outside of his foot all the time in Portugal to get that lovely curve.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

umm... they also won twice in the Bernabeu during the Rijkaard era. And one of those draws at home was a remarkable comeback with 10 men on the heels of a heart-breaking defeat to Liverpool! (and their other loss at home was a meaningless encounter).

Maybe Jeffrey can explain how the culés feel, but for me, I'd rather have Barcelona keep a winning record at home against Madrid then to lose at home and win away. First loss in 20 years!

Guest Jeffery S.

I think it is all a bit more balanced.

First of all, re Madrid, it used to be we would beat them here and there and they would take the league or Champions. So our season would get that moral victory, but they'd get the trophy.

Better the other way around.

Even so, the direct result against Madrid is what lost us the league, we tied on points and they had the better head to head record. One of the goals of any league is to get a better record against the possible rivals for the title.

As for the Dutch, well Barça fans love the Dutch way and I think the feeling is mutual, I once read a poll amongst Dutch fans who voted the Barça shirt as the most attractive in the world. Cruyff still has a huge influence, and I think that is fine, he is really brilliant, a wonderful football mind and one of the most creative, inspiring coaches to ever come along. There are moments he seems off the wall, perhaps he has an inordinate influence on the club board, but it can be for good: he has been hard on the team and on Rijkaard in his weekly articles in the Barcelona press (now in El Periodico, after years at La Vanguardia).

I will agree that I too and many Barça fans were also embarrassed by the excess of Dutch players in the Van Gaal years. Those two leagues were less celebrated by Barça fans because we had lost a bit of our identity as a team promoting kids from our own youth system, and with key Catalan players always having a role. Right now we still have Valdes, Puyol, Oleguer and Xavi as "local" boys, along with Bojan (who is Catalan by the way). And others from the youth teams who have been here since their early teens, like Iniesta, Messi, Giovanni. Combine those with the best international players we can find and folks at Camp Nou are in principle happy about the team's identity.

Should just add that I am a club member, as is my son. We tend to be quite demanding on the team and the board, and the board and especially the Catalan players who really feel the colours are often the ones who have to interpret that sentiment when things are not going right.

Archived