Lars Hirschfeld injury.....

loyola

According to this RBK article, Mr Hirschfeld will start tomorrow against Valerenga Oslo.

Was he injured?

http://www.rbk.no/incoming/article88325.ece

Project lineup:

Rosenborg (4-3-3):

Lars Hirschfeld

Fredrik Stoor - Bjørn Tore Kvarme - Christer Basma - Abdou Razack Traoré

Marek Sapara - Vidar Riseth - Alexander Tettey

Didier Konan - Yssouf Koné - Øyvind Storflor

This is more about Hirschfeld commitment than about who's our number 1. It seems to me that Lars isn't commited to the team and I don't think we should continue to call him for games, he's wasting the coaching staff time (something we don't have much).

Guest speedmonk42

Look, we only ever get half the story.

How can any of us reasonably expect these guys to lose their job.

It's not like they are getting fired from Tim Hortons.

You can't tell Ronaldo he will lose his job if he plays for Brazil, but you can damn well tell it to a Canadian and get away with it.

I believe this injury was reported in the Norwegian press, so unless they are also involved in the conspiracy as well, I'm inclined to believe it. An injury like that was never likely to be a long term one so I'm not surprised to see him back. I might change my mind later if more of these things happen though.

The CSA decided 40 months ago to exlude him from ever being the starting goalkeeper again, and 28 months ago to exclude him from the MNT team altogether. They have succeeded and weaker goalkeepers like Onstad, Kenny, Sutton, have played instead. That is their choice, so why does anyone care whether a player the CSA has blacklisted for years now is commited or not.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I believe this injury was reported in the Norwegian press, so unless they are also involved in the conspiracy as well, I'm inclined to believe it. An injury like that was never likely to be a long term one so I'm not surprised to see him back. I might change my mind later if more of these things happen though.

I agree, I don't think you could fake that kinda injury to the press, a strain would seem more suspicious but I really doubt he'd lie.

I think if Hirshfeld starts this Rosenborg game it has to be seen as suspicious. Players do have to find a balance between club and country commitments but I am getting the impression that Lars is balanced far too much to the club committment for someone who has ambitions to be our number 1 keeper. I think Mitchell has to give him an ultimatum to show up for the next game or be out of the picture. I think he is the best keeper we have but whatever keeper we have needs to be dependable and familiar with our defenders. It is no use having a number 1 keeper who doesn't show up regularly even if his abences are for legitimate reasons and I am starting to doubt the legitimacy of Lars absences. Onstad seems to me to be less shaky and error prone in his more recent appearances than he was a few years ago and also seems totally committed to the team (ie. willing to show up at inconvenient times and on short notice). I would still prefer Lars but would take a Onstad who is playing with us regularly over a Lars who is showing up only occasionally.

While I agree completely with the importance of familiarity between 'keeper and defenders is vital (#1 priority I'd say), I wouldn't read too much into Lars playing this weekend one way or another.

I mean come on. Dose everybody on this forum work in an office or something? No grunts in here? The guy chopped off a bit of a digit! Yeah, yeah I know. Seriously, how much damage can you do with a cheese slicer? Still, he's a 'keeper and he needs to work with his hands right? Being fit for duty a week after an injury is one thing while being fit for duty a couple of days aftewords is quite another.

All that said, if I were Lars I'd be worried about Kenny S looking so sharp with TFC. No, TFC isn't exactly Manchester United and no MLS isn't exactly the EPL, but neither is Rosenborg or nor is the tippeligathingamahbob. And Kenny S now has the advantage of being in the public (and Mitch's) eye much more than Lars.

Defenders will rotate through the NT line-up out of necessity, that's a weakness we've got to live with, but the 1st decent 'keeper who can commit to the WC program for the long haul will trump all others on the radar as far as I'm concerned. I don't think any of the pretenders for Canada's #1 are so far ahead of the rest to warrant inclusion in the WC program at the last momment on a managers whim.

Including "Never say Never" Onstad. The Old Man is buggering everything up for these pups, eh!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

While I agree completely with the importance of familiarity between 'keeper and defenders is vital (#1 priority I'd say), I wouldn't read too much into Lars playing this weekend one way or another.

I mean come on. Dose everybody on this forum work in an office or something? No grunts in here? The guy chopped off a bit of a digit! Yeah, yeah I know. Seriously, how much damage can you do with a cheese slicer? Still, he's a 'keeper and he needs to work with his hands right? Being fit for duty a week after an injury is one thing while being fit for duty a couple of days aftewords is quite another.

I wouldn't have a problem with the injury if it was a one time thing. The problem is that Lars has a pretty long history of begging off national team duty for one reason or another and it is starting to get hard to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think Mitchell has to determine fairly quickly whether Lars will be a reliable call up or not and if not has to willing to drop him for someone who will be dependable.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

According to this article:

http://fotball.aftenposten.no/eliteserien/article88304.ece

he was definitely injured. The article is from yesterday (friday) morning and mentions that as of Thursday, Hirsh had yet to train with the team after the injury but was probable for the game according to the team physio.

Based on this, he is off the hook in my books.

Archived