Canada gets through to the next round of WCQ 2010

sstackho

quote:Originally posted by Alex

St. Vincent, Barbados, Suriname, Bermuda, Antigua & Barbuda, St Kitts & Nevis, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Bahamas, Nicaragua, Grenada, St. Lucia are the teams we will most likely play in the home and home.

Anyone else fancy a road trip to the Dominican?[8D]

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

It's only the first round done by rankings. The Semi Finals will be decided again by Pots unless i'm mistaken. Canada will be no worse than Pot C. Also Honduras will be in Pot C with Canada, and Guatemala in Pot B since they made the final.

Pot A (Automatic Qualifiers for WC2006)

USA

Mexico

Costa Rica

Pot B (Teams who made the Final Round WC2006)

Trinidad

Guatemala

Panama

Pot C (Teams who made the Semi Final Round WC2006)

Jamaica

El Salvador

Honduras

Canada

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Pot D (etc.)

Etc. Etc.

Edit: Worst Case Scenario:

USA, T&T, Honduras

Best Case Scenario:

Costa Rica, Panama, Saint Kitts and Nevis

This is how I understand it as well. I think it's safe to assume that T&T "somehow" will get an easy group where likely one of Mex or USA are in with them against a couple of weaklings. They won't get CR as they are a bit too unpredictable and could lose a match to one of the weaklings. As a result, Canada won't face them -- we will get Panama or Guatamala. As it was already mentioned, no matter what the group is, if Canada can't make it into the hex, they really don't deserve to make the Finals.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

It's not as easy as it sounds, Trevor. You might need to move to Toronto for this go round. Not just the new stadium, but fairness of a balanced distribution suggests a lot of games in Toronto and Montreal and there abouts.

I seen 9 of the last 11 home wcq for 19,120km.[:o)]

(7200km driving, 7000km plane, 4400km greyhound, 520km Via Rail... coulda added a few more for walking and local transit.[8)])

speculating :

Pot A : MEX-CR-USA (fINAL hEX TO GERMANY 2006)

Pot B : GUA-PAN-TRI (FINAL HEX TO GERMANY 2006)

Pot C : CAN-HON-HAI (THE OTHER BEST CONCACAF TEAMS AT THE GOLD CUP)

Pot D : CUB-JAM-GUY (ACCORDING TO THE FIFA RANKINGS)

THE GROUPS COULD BE :

A)USA B)COSTA RICA C)MEXICO

TRINIDAD/TOB GUATEMALA PANAMA

HAITI HONDURAS CANADA

JAMAICA CUBA GUYANA

quote:Originally posted by jagumI

speculating :

Pot A : MEX-CR-USA (fINAL hEX TO GERMANY 2006)

Pot B : GUA-PAN-TRI (FINAL HEX TO GERMANY 2006)

Pot C : CAN-HON-HAI (THE OTHER BEST CONCACAF TEAMS AT THE GOLD CUP)

Pot D : CUB-JAM-GUY (ACCORDING TO THE FIFA RANKINGS)

THE GROUPS COULD BE :

A)USA B)COSTA RICA C)MEXICO

TRINIDAD/TOB GUATEMALA PANAMA

HAITI HONDURAS CANADA

JAMAICA CUBA GUYANA

BETTER SAID

A)USA

TRINIDAD/TOB

HAITI

JAMAICA

B)COSTA RICA

GUATEMALA

HONDURAS

CUBA

C)MEXICO

PANAMA

CANADA

GUYANA

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

We're due for something, that's for sure.

I guess the point I was making is that our position in pot C (or D?) all-but assures that we will have to beat one decent side along with one of Mexico, USA or Costa Rica.

To me, the semi-finals are tougher than the Hex. In the Hex you can recover from a bad game as four of the six teams get something. In the semis it's much tougher.

And I have a good feeling about this time. Seriously.

Edited to add: And I want it to start yesterday.

I agree that it is tougher in the semis, but because CONCACAF gets so few teams in the WC and 2 of them are almost automatic, I think the final Hex is actually the fairest way of settling things because your worth against ALL of the top teams is measured. Imagine if the final round was 3 groups with the winner qualifying (and some stupid "best runner-up" getting the 4 spot)... it would be total luck of the draw to avoid the two groups with Mex and USA and be drawn into the other group containing T&T.

I'd like to see 4 groups of 4 in the semi round with the top 2 getting into the "Octagon". It would mean 4 more games in the final round, and in the meantime you could exempt the bigger countries from the preliminary home and away and then you'd only need 2 more match dates.

Wow that might just work because it would make the final round harder and it would also ensure that you have to have a record over .500 unlike in the hex when you can finish 4th with a lousy record. I like the idea of 8 teams, but if I can I'd like to tinker with your idea and do away with the semi final round completely which would reduce the amount of games, and just have home and away series instead of the semi final round. It would be similar to what we have now except only the top eight ranked get a bye and only have to play one home and away series. That would give them 14+2 for 16 (now we would play 18 or 20 for the 4th place hex finish).

Archived