Iceland: Good, Bad & Ugly

gkhs

I hope we call Serioux for the Costa Rica game if only to include him in the squad. He's an athlete, he fights, he wins balls. An option for CB and the holding mid role. Nsaliwa, Serioux, Hastings, and McKenna all look like decent center backs to me. Hainault will become one with some more experience.

Has Brennan ever played at holding mid before? He's made the transition from an outside to a center field player at TFC, why not try him in front of the back four as some other posters have recommended? Brennan has some pace, he's a set piece man, he has a good outside shot, he can win tackles, and he's vocal. If DeVos is too old to return, I would like to have another leader from his era in the middle of the pitch, someone who's cut his teeth in CONCACAF and has a few years of good football left in him.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I remember he was moved into that position early in the match when Houston seemed to be outmanned in midfield.

Serioux started the game at D-mid because Ricardo Clark was unavailable (suspension i think).

Couple of other people have metioned him already, but Bernier is at his best in the holding midfield role. He led a mediocre Tromsø team in both the Norwegian league and the UEFA Cup not so long ago, and was sought after by several teams in Norway before he went to Germany. He can play in a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield or 4-3-3 / 4-5-1. He is not an offensive midfielder, and I imagine would look a little lost playing right behind the strikers.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Serioux started the game at D-mid because Ricardo Clark was unavailable (suspension i think).

You're right, my error. But I do remember reading this post match assessment that confused my memory of the events:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=391483&root=mls&cc=5901

"The match began with the Revolution passing the ball like a Sunday pub team, and Houston appeared set to take advantage. But midfielders Shalrie Joseph and Daniel Hernandez eventually took control, enabling the Revs to patiently build their attack... in fact, the Revs were becoming so dominant that Kinnear was forced to revert to a 3-5-2, sliding Davis from the flank into the center of midfield... while the Dynamo coach had toyed with a three-back formation at various points during the season, that usually happened only if Houston was behind. This wasn't the case on Sunday, but given the Rev's surge in momentum, he felt he had no choice... while the switch didn't exactly signal a reversal in fortune, it did have the desired effect of stemming the tide. From that point, the Revs found it difficult to create many clear opportunities, and their window of opportunity looked to be closed."

Archived