1981 Soccer Bow in Toronto Video

Gian-Luca

what ever happened to this sort of shootout? maybe it's cause I'm a youngin but this is the first I've seen of this type of shootout, it seems far more entertaining and hell, much fairer for the keeper. it'd be great if it came back...

Yap this was to celebrate 100 years of soccer in Toronto.I was introduced as the late Joe Piccinini at half time.This brings back some great memories.It was also the week when the Toronto media totally ignored this event and even with the legendary Jim Mackay from ABC's Wide World of Sports,they did not show up at the media conference and they would nut budge. We were finally forced to buy a whole page in the Star.I remember talking to the NASL media guy who said this was the worse media reaction he ever encountered in North America.It was Clive Toye who called it a media conspiracy.

I am happy to see that clip and I forgot that miss by Bob.

I think that stadium was pretty well sold out despite these creeps and it was a great success.

Thanks GL.Did any of you guys play in that friendship tournament? The trophy won by Canada is in the Hall Of Fame in the Soccer Centre.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Wow!!!! This brings back lots of memories. In fact, I was there with my dad and my brother.

Let's see if we could get Dave Bailey post on YouTube the 1984 Soccer Bowl. I know he had footage of the event.

Ya, I've been meaning to do that for some time. Gotta get to it!!!

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Ya, I've been meaning to do that for some time. Gotta get to it!!!

db

That would be cool - there's actually a fair bit of NASL footage on youtube, but nothing that I can find featuring the Blizzard or Metros, despite their appearances in three finals (whereas a lot of other finals are featured, including the 1979 one with the Whitecaps).

quote:Originally posted by Metro

I don't know, for me it beats the penalty shootout that occurs now. There less certainty in scoring, and more strategy involved.

..and as I recall more injuries for the players involved.

Yes MLS and the A-League did use this shootout. I can't believe that some of you didn't remember that.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

what ever happened to this sort of shootout? maybe it's cause I'm a youngin but this is the first I've seen of this type of shootout, it seems far more entertaining and hell, much fairer for the keeper. it'd be great if it came back...

I came accross a soccer documentary a few years ago whereby one of the more prominant players in the history of the game ( ie.: dont recal if it was Cruyff or Beckenbaur) was raving about it. Citing it as one of the great innovations that North American had contibuted to the game that unfortunately ( in his opinion) was never adopted in Europe.

I too thought that it was gimmicky mind you. Back then hockey was very popular in the US and obviously the shootout format idea was inspired by hockey

quote:Originally posted by Metro

I don't know, for me it beats the penalty shootout that occurs now. There less certainty in scoring, and more strategy involved.

Yes, I have warmed up to it gradually. Not necessarily because I like it. But because of how stupid the current shoot out format is. The current format is really no better than a coin flip when you think about. The keeper guesses and hopes that he lucky.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Yes MLS and the A-League did use this shootout. I can't believe that some of you didn't remember that.

In my case I couldn't have remembered it because I didn't know about that to begin with - I wasn't following either league too closely when they must have. Presumably this was in the 90's, and if so my head was largely buried in law school books.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Perhaps those who were there can correct me if I am wrong, But I believe that we may ahve witnessed one of these shootouts in 2000 or 2001 at one of the Lynx playoff games. There was a time when they were getting into playoffs believe it or not

Well it wasn't 2001, I can tell you that. That's when I started to follow the team and they never made the playoffs in all that time (2001-2006).

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Perhaps those who were there can correct me if I am wrong, But I believe that we may ahve witnessed one of these shootouts in 2000 or 2001 at one of the Lynx playoff games. There was a time when they were getting into playoffs believe it or not

Toronto last made the playoffs in 2000, reaching the conference finals by defeating Long Island and Richmond before losing to Rochester in the conference final. There were no shootouts as the final year they used them was 1999.

Archived