Toronto vs Chivas USA (Reserves Game)

Rocket Robin

Result of the Saturday August 18th, 2007 MLS Reserves game between Toronto FC and Chivas USA played at BMO Field in Toronto at 6:00pm.

52 min...Chivas Brent Whitfield GOAL...Whitfield gets pass on right and shoots low 20 yard shot just inside left post beyond diving goalie Srdjan Djekanovic.

60 min...Chivas Anthony Hamilton GOAL...Hamilton gets ball on pass up left wing from Chiv Ramon Nunez and in alone has him round goalie and roll 15 yarder into center of open net.

66 min...TFC Miguel Canizalez GOAL...TFC Cristian Nunez sends pass to Canizalez behind defenders who blasts 10 yard shot into top left corer of net beyond goalie Justin Myers.

78 min...Chivas John Cunliffe GOAL...Cunliffe rush down left cutting into middle and takes low 15 yard shot over sprawling goalie.

Final Score:.......Toronto FC Reserves.........1.............Chivas USA Reserves..........3...............

This game started about 35 minutes after the main game. Attendance started at about 1000 and fizzled to about 500 by the time the game ended. Still, it was the best attended of the three TFC Reserves home games this year. Members of the usual south end U-Sector and Red Patch Boys stayed and chanted. It was good practice to try some new ones but we'll have to wait until the next game to decide if any of them catch on.

The last two reserves games were cancelled by Toronto FC because they didn't have enough players to man a Reserves squad. With their injury list as long as ever I expected this one would be shelved too. Some outside invited players made an appearance in this game.

Ryan Fante (wore #30) came in at 60 minutes to replace Andrea Lombardo who'd played the first half of the main game. Fante played for Hearts Azzuri in 2006 and was a co-winner at the Ontario Soccer League Awards in 2006 for the OSL Central Region East. I saw him on the roster for Portuguese Supra of the CSL last year.

Kayin Jeffers (wore #31) came into the game at 78 minutes replaces Cristian Nunez. I saw him earlier this year as a regular on the PDL Toronto Lynx roster as a defender.

After watching the main game, the Reserves game didn't seem that much different. Plenty of chances missed by TFC. Joey Melo took most of the cornerkicks and kept having them caught by the goalie or cleared by defenders. Chivas goalie Justin Myers uniform was gray just like TFC outfield players but he was aggressive in charging out for crosses to stop potential trouble. David Monsalve was TFC's goalie in the first half and had a shutout for his part of the game. Srdjan Djekanovic was not so lucky and has probably knocked himself further down the list on the TFC goalie roster.

Today's game was played during the Canadian National Exhibition. I thought the club would have taken advantage of hundreds of thousands of fair goers around the area by opening up the Reserves game to the public by maybe charging $5.00 general admission with ticket proceeds to the club's favourite charity. This would have been a good way to give the public who pay taxes and haven't had an opportunity to see BMO Field a chance to see what their tax dollars have paid for. All Toronto FC games are sold out for the rest of the year. The FIFA Under 20s games in Toronto were mostly sold out. Genesis rock band tickets are very expensive. I've not read of any guided tours of the stadium. Well there's a chance of snaring national team tickets for Canada vs Costa Rica but tonight I feel is an opportunity lost. There's probably some legal reason why this wasn't done.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

From the MSL web site:

................................................................................................................................................................

08/20/2007 5:18PM

Reserves: CHV 3, TFC 1

Toronto FC Media Relations

Reserve Game Summary

Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA

August 18, 2007

Toronto FC Reserves (0-2-2): GK David Monsalve (Srdjan Djekanovic, 45), D Tyler Hemming, D Marco Reda,

D Nana Attakokora-Gyan, D Gabe Gala, M Chris Pozniak, M Christian Nunez (Kayin Jeffers, 78), M Joey Melo,

Miguel Canizalez, F David Guzman (Stephen Lumley, 64), F Andrea Lombardo (Ryan Fante, 60)

Chivas USA (4-1-2): GK Justin Myers, D Desmond Brooks, D Jorge Flores, D Brent Whitfield, D Oscar Garcia,

M Rodrigo Lopez (Orlando Perez, 75), M Erasmo Solorzano, M John Cunliffe, M Ramon Nunez (David Arvizu,66)

F Anthony Hamilton, F Laurent Merlin

Scoring Summary

CHV - Brent Whitfield 52'

CHV - Anthony Hamilton (Ramon Nunez) 60'

TFC - Miguel Canizalez (Christian Nunez) 66'

CHV - John Cunliffe 78'

Misconduct Summary

Yellow - CHV Jorge Flores 30'

Yellow - TFC Chris Pozniak 32'

Yellow - TFC Miguel Canizalez 72'

Yellow - CHV John Cunliffe 77'

.................................................................................................................................

No game officials were listed but I recognized referee Sylviu Petrescu and fourth official Amato DeLuca.

seems to me that players like Tyler Hemming and David Guzman are just making up the numbers. I don't believe either of them have played and think Guzman is the only one that has made the bench a couple of times. They are not that young in comparison with players like Gala, Nunez and Melo who have seen first team action. I would imagine that after next year's draft, they will be replaced by some new Canadians. On that note, does anyone know where Richard Asante ended up. He play a match or two with the Lynx and then seemed to disappear.

Nice to see that TFC is looking at a couple more local kids, including at offensive minded positions. With respect to Tyler Hemming, he's been injured most of the year - this might have even been the first reserve game he's played. Granted, he's a way down on the pecking order, particularly as TFC have an abundance of defenders & a shortage of strikers. Nunez has only seen first team action once, the same time as Guzman's only game - against Benfica.

Canizalez scoring is interesting - he's now the only TFC player to have scored this month. He's another player that seems to have been mis-handled. He was arguably Toronto's best player in their first ever game, but then he had a lousy game against KC the next week, as did a lot of players. He's never started since, only coming on as a sub late in a few other matches early on. His performance in the first game suggests that what he lacks isn't so much the ability to play at this level, but to perform consistently. But it doesn't look like he'll get another chance as Mo has been using Joey Melo off the reserves ahead of MC2.

Archived