Denilson to FC Dallas

Canuck Oranje

Ya, after a few weeks in the mixer we found out that FCD basically only gave him a half year contract with a team option for a second. Very smart on their part, because by the end of the season people were questioning whether he even deserved to be in the starting lineup.

The FCD partnership is interesting. They've been loaned Brazilian U-20 player Ricardinho, by the club, although he hasn't really done much. Steve Morrow seems to have a good idea how to get into player markets he's not naturally familiar with.

My guess is that the new Dallas player is a reserve team player but then if they are the right kind of player they can still be useful in the MLS.

Also I don't expect that Denilson will be a starter at Palmeiras. Palmeiras had some huge investment leading up to this year and they are under a lot of pressure to produce (and that's not even considering the pressure they face from the Mancha Verde ultras). Luxemburgo is the Coach. There will be no tolerance for second best. The fact that Denilson didn't sign anywhere until after the 8th round of the Paulista would suggest that there wasn't a lot of interest. Palmeiras has deep pockets and has marketing requirements. I suspect they are taking a chance and that's all. Still, as I said about his Dallas signing, it probably will be a mistake for Palmeiras too.

Archived