Denilson to FC Dallas

Canuck Oranje

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by thegoz

Denilson visits FC Dallas.

He has impeccable Spanish, does all the subjunctives perfectly, he went to Betis so young. I am not sure he'll have the pace for MLS but if he can get past his defender and is physically capable of some explosive play like in his best years he'll work.

A curious anecdote about Denilson is that Lopera the owner of Betis decided to put the most ridiculously high buy-out clause on his contract, but the player agreed as a kind of joke. It was perhaps the highest in history (maybe Espanyol put a higher one on a last contract for an ageing veteran just to outdo them). Think it was something like 600 million CDN back in the late 90s.

Angel is a solid team player that does what is asked of him by his team, can finish is good in the air etc. Denilson dribbles when he should pass and shoots when he should dribble in 98 he hampered Brasil emmensely IMO by slowing down the game with 12 stepovers everytime he touched the ball. Sure he is flashy but I would much rather have an effective Angel.

Again, I am not sure about signing Denilson as the appropriate direction for an MLS team.

However, FC Dallas has made a quiet move worth watching even more. That is the signing of Ricardinho from CA Paranaense. Ricardinho is only 19 and was on the edges of Brazil's U-20 team. It seems like he cost FC Dallas about $500,000 US, but it looks like he his under contract until 2011. That move looks like it might have the potential to yield a return.

Guest speedmonk42

I dunno.

I don't know how much they are paying him, but I would rather see them work on bringing up the quality of the leagues average.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Again, I am not sure about signing Denilson as the appropriate direction for an MLS team.

However, FC Dallas has made a quiet move worth watching even more. That is the signing of Ricardinho from CA Paranaense. Ricardinho is only 19 and was on the edges of Brazil's U-20 team. It seems like he cost FC Dallas about $500,000 US, but it looks like he his under contract until 2011. That move looks like it might have the potential to yield a return.

Signing high quality players is the right direction for sure. MLS is entering a great period in terms of quality right now. Not only are players like Beckham, Angel, and the other DP good business, and doing well for the league, the stars of the league are also American players. The addition of a flair player like Denilson can hopefully make the games even more attractive.

My view has always been that the MLS should simply raise the salary cap and let teams choose how they use it. My issue is Denilson is that I don't know how much he has left. My issue with the DP is that it focuses attention on just one player when the focus should be on the team. I think improving team quality will do more to attract fans that will stay than adding high-priced ageing stars.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Signing high quality players is the right direction for sure. MLS is entering a great period in terms of quality right now. Not only are players like Beckham, Angel, and the other DP good business, and doing well for the league, the stars of the league are also American players. The addition of a flair player like Denilson can hopefully make the games even more attractive.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

My view has always been that the MLS should simply raise the salary cap and let teams choose how they use it. My issue is Denilson is that I don't know how much he has left. My issue with the DP is that it focuses attention on just one player when the focus should be on the team. I think improving team quality will do more to attract fans that will stay than adding high-priced ageing stars.

I suspect that the cap will increase. NYRB drew a full house for their game versus Beckham. A week before, they drew 11K for a game versus TFC. The beckham effect is really going to bump the ticket sales averages for each team which should translate into bigger revenues and an increase in the cap. Letting teams choose how they want to spend it might theoretically mean zero Canadians on TFC. or more no more than one or two token Canadians that are there for PR basis. thats not a knock on the quality of Canadian players but rather a recognition of the fact that Canadians represnent just a miniscule percentage of the available talent pool around the world. Doing, as you suggest might event eliminate the need to form accademies and youth teams since it might just be more cost effective to just buy players rather than develop them.

I noticed in the article posted on the Yallop thread

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_ylt=AhoWF8JIXnLlank.GUdqxQEmw7YF?slug=txmlstalkingpoints&prov=st&type=lgns

a reference to which senior international will be traded to accommodate Denilson, with one of the names mentioned being Serioux. Also, with Yallop's days numbered I can't see either Harmse or Jazic being in the new coach's future plans (are these players both considered senior internationals as well?).

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I noticed in the article posted on the Yallop thread

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_ylt=AhoWF8JIXnLlank.GUdqxQEmw7YF?slug=txmlstalkingpoints&prov=st&type=lgns

a reference to which senior international will be traded to accommodate Denilson, with one of the names mentioned being Serioux. Also, with Yallop's days numbered I can't see either Harmse or Jazic being in the new coach's future plans (are these players both considered senior internationals as well?).

Harmse is a SYI or a youth international meaning he'll maintain that designation until he's 25. He just turned 23. If Yallop goes, Jazic could be in jeopardy because SI slots are much more coveted than the SYI slots. Unless both are released prior to season's end, I believe that both could end up in San Jose next year which is where FY will likely be if sacked by the "Superclub".

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Harmse is a SYI or a youth international meaning he'll maintain that designation until he's 25. He just turned 23. If Yallop goes, Jazic could be in jeopardy because SI slots are much more coveted than the SYI slots. Unless both are released prior to season's end, I believe that both could end up in San Jose next year which is where FY will likely be if sacked by the "Superclub".

Good points Andrew. As well, Harmse is the 'enforcer' on that team and they need to protect their prized number 1 asset. :)

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Good points Andrew. As well, Harmse is the 'enforcer' on that team and they need to protect their prized number 1 asset. :)

Jazic and Harmse are both integral to the LA squad.

As Ed mentioned, Harmse is their enforcer, and his presence would be sorely missed were he to leave.

Jazic seems to have developed some chemistry with Donovan, and pushes forward better than almost any of the other defenders or midfielders on LA's roster.

For a squad so sorely lacking in quality, the two Canadians have shone in their roles.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Jazic and Harmse are both integral to the LA squad.

As Ed mentioned, Harmse is their enforcer, and his presence would be sorely missed were he to leave.

Jazic seems to have developed some chemistry with Donovan, and pushes forward better than almost any of the other defenders or midfielders on LA's roster.

For a squad so sorely lacking in quality, the two Canadians have shone in their roles.

Good points.

I really like the way Jazic's offensive game has grown in LA.

Unfortunately for him the quickest way to rebuild is through a new slew of SI's. Having that designation tied up in a left back isn't going to be seen as a good use of that type of asset by either Lalas, the new GM should Lalas get fired or even AEG. Many things could happen in LA before next year. Remember they need to acquire a DP designation if they want to keep Donovan on the books next year along with Beckham (whom they'll want to placate ASAP). Getting that designation is going to cost them some players, picks and/or allocation cash. While I'm confident an SI slot cannot be traded it will be needed to fix their current mess. I'm sure LA brass believe a left back slot can be filled by a domestic player.

Again when Frank is fired tomorrow and then unveiled in San Jose before the current season's end, I believe Jazic will be exposed in the expansion draft and taken by Frank. I think Serioux may end up there as well as I see him being the odd man out in the Denilson signing in Dallas. Just speculating on all fronts but reading the tea leaves makes me think this is quite possible.

Harmse has a value to LA and that SYI designation puts him in a comfort spot for another two years. But, who knows.

I think you misunderstood my point. I was thinking about replacing the DP with a higher salary cap. I was not talking about tampering with the Canadian quotas.

As for Beckham, he will raise the attendance numbers in the short term. However, attendance in the long term will come from improved team quality throughout. MLS cannot underestimate the knowledge of existing soccer fans.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I suspect that the cap will increase. NYRB drew a full house for their game versus Beckham. A week before, they drew 11K for a game versus TFC. The beckham effect is really going to bump the ticket sales averages for each team which should translate into bigger revenues and an increase in the cap. Letting teams choose how they want to spend it might theoretically mean zero Canadians on TFC. or more no more than one or two token Canadians that are there for PR basis. thats not a knock on the quality of Canadian players but rather a recognition of the fact that Canadians represnent just a miniscule percentage of the available talent pool around the world. Doing, as you suggest might event eliminate the need to form accademies and youth teams since it might just be more cost effective to just buy players rather than develop them.

• 5 months later...

Well Denilson is gone again. Signed with Palmeiras.

http://esporte.uol.com.br/futebol/ultimas/2008/02/12/ult59u146041.jhtm

I'm not sure what happened but it probably wasn't a good signing in the first place.

However, more interesting is the partnership that FC Dallas has with Clube Atletico Paranaense. I noticed that FC Dallas is doing some loan deals with the Brazilian club. I am not sure how it works but I bet it is much less of a salary cap hit than signing high priced UK talent.

Archived