Canadians abroad: August 17-23, 2007

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Since soccerTV.com no longer serves Canada, I will no longer be compiling a "Canadians abroad on TV this week" list.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for August 17-23, 2007.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I wonder what Stalteri's playing status is going to be vs Derby tomorrow: left back again? Swapping with Chimbonda and moving to more comfortable right back spot? Subs' bench? Wearing a suit and tie in stands? Any info/rumours?

He'll definitely be playing tomorrow (if he isn't, his days are numbered at Spurs). Spurs have so many injuries they really only have Chimbonda, Rocha, Gardner & Staleri left to play in defense.

His last game was pretty poor but so was everyone else's. I would expect that the team's confidence will be a bit higher versus Derby. Hopefully the fans will lay off his case.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

He'll definitely be playing tomorrow (if he isn't, his days are numbered at Spurs). Spurs have so many injuries they really only have Chimbonda, Rocha, Gardner & Staleri left to play in defense.

His last game was pretty poor but so was everyone else's. I would expect that the team's confidence will be a bit higher versus Derby. Hopefully the fans will lay off his case.

Stalteri is not in the starting line-up today. I hadn't realised that Lee has returned from injury.

Championship

Devos starts for Ipswich Town away to Plymouth A

No Peters in the Ipswich squad

Hume on Bench for Leicester City away to Crystal Palace

League One

No Bicham for Yeovil Town home to Port Vale

League Two

Dunfield starts for Macclesfield at home to MK Dons

Stalteri on the bench to start the match. 2-0 Spurs in the 5th minute.

Hastings starting for Inverness at St. Mirren. Dodds on the bench as Kilmarnock are away at Motherwell.

Hume is starting on the bench for Leicester. De Vos starting for Ipswich, no sign of Peters.

Begovic is starting in net for Bournemouth at home to Huddersfield.

Rayner starting for Torquay at Northwich. Jackson starting for R&D. McCallum on the bench for Weymouth.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Yeah, I can't see how Stalteri will be getting much more action in the starting 11. Time for him to move on if he can I think.

The problem is finding a team that will pay his wages. He's sure to be making way more than the average EPL Right Back since he was brought in on a Bosman from Bremen and was likely well compensated due to a lack of transfer fee.

Also, Spurs are probably going to want a fee from any buyers since Stally is their cover at RB.

So, Paul will need to find a team that will pony up for his services and pay his wages or he needs to take a pay cut to make it happen.

Don't quote me on this but I think Paul is probably making less money than many other fullbacks in the EPL. Still damned good money, but I'd be surprised if wages became an issue. He negotiated his own contract if I recall correctly, so no agent fees to-boot.

Not sure where Diesel sits in Jol's plans. Was surprised to see him in at left back but there may be a method to the gaffer's madness. Lee's in today but they're playing Derby (could Jol have put a more attacking lineup out there?). EVERYBODY has questioned Lee's defending and for all their spending 'Spurs are still weak all down the left.

Impressive match today though. 'Spurs may be coasting now but it's still one way traffic. Derby have been playing scared for most of the match.

I watched both of Spurs first 2 matches. Diesel did not look 100% comfortable on the left but he was by no means their biggest problem in those 2 losses. He worked hard, as always.

A transfer to a team where we can play consistently would be a good move. I doubt it will happen though. To have a player like Paul on the bench and ready to come in and bring good energy is a bonus for any coach. Teams like Spurs need depth to get through a taxing fixture schedule.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I watched both of Spurs first 2 matches. Diesel did not look 100% comfortable on the left but he was by no means their biggest problem in those 2 losses. He worked hard, as always.

Agreed, that's never been an issue: he always gives everything he has out there and I appreciate that very much.

Stalteri stayed on the bench as Spurs win 4-0 against an in-over-their-heads Derby side. Steve Nash attended the game. Cheeta - you might be right on his wages. i have no details, but making an educated guess based on circumstance.

Hume subs on for the second half and Leicester come from behind to take a 2-1 lead, but Crystal Palace pull a 90th min. equalizer for a 2-2 draw at home. De Vos plays 90 as Ipswich cannot hang on for thw win with 10 men and draw 1-1.

Hastings is subbed out in the 70th minute of a 2-1 Inverness loss. Dodds comes on in the 82nd and scores the winner for Kilmarnock in the 90th.

Begovic plays 90 in a 1-0 loss at home to Huddersfield.

Terry Dunfield with 90 minutes in a wild 3-3 draw between Macclesfield and Milton Keynes.

Rayner goes the distance in a 3-1 Torquay win. McCallum subs on in the 68th minute of a 3-0 loss. Jackson goes 90 in a 1-0 loss.

Archived