any TV for Iceland?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by jesse

Match is scheduled for 6:05pm. That's 2:05pm et. Shouldn't be hard to pick up.

Edit* - Blue Jays play at 12:30[}:)].

the Blue jays are always playing all the time. 24 hrs a day 7 days a week the blue jays are playing. whenever I put sportsnet on, its baseball. I can't stand it. baseball is sportsnets hockey offseason filler.

I emailed GolTV. No reply yet but I will update you guys if I get a reply.

Gerry Dobson was on the Fan590 this morning and confirmed that Sportsnet definitely wont have this game, not even as a tape delay. So much for being the official broadcaster of the CSA.

You know what, this is exactly the sort of match the CSA needs to get on TV.

No, Iceland isn't exactly going to produce ratings which will be worth a damn but the broadcast fees would, I think, be virtually zero. When Iceland and Canada were negotiating this friendly the CSA could easily have insisted on having NA broadcast rights (from the local feed) as one of the conditions and then did the rounds here in Canada to see if anyone wanted to do an in-studio broadcast of the thing.

If SportsNet doesn't want the match for one of their digital channels then how about the CBC/Country Canada? No? GolTV? No fee's you just got to get the thing on the air and do some in-studio commentary. Have you seen some of the crap GolTV puts out? Canada-Iceland with a Godfrey-James commentary would be the must-see show of the week.

How is this not doable?

(I am, of course assuming the CSA hasn't actually done this and that the match will be on TV in Iceland. Which it may not be. Whole scheme kinda breaks down if there's no local broadcaster who can provide a feed).

I don't get it at all. We have TSN, RSN, SCORE, RDS, RIS Info, triping over themselves for live sports coverage. We have subscriber only soccer channels with what exactly to show in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week in August?

And nobody is picking this game up!

WTF is RSN showing if not Jays at this time on this day?

Does anybody know if this match will even be televised in Iceland?

Without a host broadcaster's feed there is little hope any of TSN, RSN, SCORE, CBC etc. would make the substantial investment required to do a remote of a low level exhibition game like this.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Does anybody know if this match will even be televised in Iceland?

Without a host broadcaster's feed there is little hope any of TSN, RSN, SCORE, CBC etc. would make the substantial investment required to do a remote of a low level exhibition game like this.

That should be the starting point to any discussion about the broadcasting situation.....

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I don't get it at all. We have TSN, RSN, SCORE, RDS, RIS Info, triping over themselves for live sports coverage. We have subscriber only soccer channels with what exactly to show in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week in August?

And nobody is picking this game up!

WTF is RSN showing if not Jays at this time on this day?

In no particular order 2:30 : 4:30 on wednesday

I looks to me there is nothing pressing that could not be pre-empted.

FINS

Sportsnet Connected

Best Damn Sports Show Period

Chris Myers Interview Season-4 David Wells

IFSA Strongman

Poker After Dark

Canadian Motocross 2007 Round 6: Nanaimo

Firsthand: Season7 Matt Hoffman

Prime Time Sports w Bob McCown

Firsthand: Season 7 Jereme Rogers

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/index.php?schedDate=20070822

quote:Originally posted by Niagara Hammer

In no particular order 2:30 : 4:30 on wednesday

I looks to me there is nothing pressing that could not be pre-empted.

FINS

Sportsnet Connected

Best Damn Sports Show Period

Chris Myers Interview Season-4 David Wells

IFSA Strongman

Poker After Dark

Canadian Motocross 2007 Round 6: Nanaimo

Firsthand: Season7 Matt Hoffman

Firsthand: Season 7 Jereme Rogers

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/index.php?schedDate=20070822

If there is no feed out of Iceland this whole discussion is moot.

I know people don't like to think of it his way, but the networks are businesses. They do a cost/benefit analysis when deciding if to show something.

Canadian soccer still doesn't pull big enough numbers to be of much benefit.

Anyway, this is an old argument...what I'd like to see and what I think the CSA can and should do is make these games available as webcasts. Hell, I'd even pay a reasonable fee.

Webcasting is the future of niche sports programing....(sorry, guys. We're still niche)

quote:Originally posted by jdlax

I'm guessing that there won't really be anywhere to even follow the game online via a matchtracker or anything of the sorts.

I just had a vague flashback of a match about three or four years ago (I forget who it was against). There was no TV and something was up with matchtracker if I recall. Instead, a bunch of us were just hanging out here refreshing our screen. Someone was listening to the game on a radio in the country it was being played in and posting updates (at least that's how I remember it, anyway). I remember commenting on how sad it was.

Welcome to the life of a Canadian soccer supporter.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I know people don't like to think of it his way, but the networks are businesses. They do a cost/benefit analysis when deciding if to show something.

Canadian soccer still doesn't pull big enough numbers to be of much benefit.

Anyway, this is an old argument...what I'd like to see and what I think the CSA can and should do is make these games available as webcasts. Hell, I'd even pay a reasonable fee.

I would certainly be willing to pay to watch this game on a webcast, even if they are just re-broadcasting the Icelandic feed without English commentators. I think I'd go as high as $7.99 to watch on my laptop.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Does that mean RUV will broadcast it?

well considering the following was my question. I would think it is very clear, it is a very clear maybe.

To: Ómar Smárason

Subject: Canada V Iceland 22 Aug 07

Does this game have a television feed.

I can not seem to find it on the schedule in Canada.

If you know of any broadcaster (TV, Radio, or Internet) carrying this game please let me know.

Archived