Roster for Iceland announced

loyola

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

This morning when he was making himself breakfast. Apparently he cut the tip of his thumb clean off. With a cheese slicer.

Geezus, that has to suck...i did something similar when i was 12, i cut the tip off my thumb on the bandsaw in Industrial Arts class. Never touched a bandsaw again...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canso

He'd obviously rather cut his thumb off than play for Canada.

At least he did not go this far, from http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1996-07.html

"Some men will got to extraordinary lengths to prove how macho they are. Frenchman Pierre Pumpille recently shunted a stationary car two feet by headbutting it. "Women thought I was a god," he explained from his hospital bed.

Deity or not, however, Pumpille is a veritable girl's blouse compared to Polish farmer Krystof Azninski, who staked a strong claim to being Europe's most macho man by cutting off his own head in 1995. Azninski, 30, had been drinking with friends when it was suggested they strip naked and play some "men's games". Initially they hit each other over the head with frozen turnips, but then one man upped the ante by seizing a chainsaw and cutting off the end of his foot. Not to be outdone, Azninski grabbed the saw and, shouting "Watch this then," he swung at his own head and chopped it off.

"It's funny," said one companion, "when he was young he put on his sister's underwear. But he died like a man." "

The difference is that Lars got out of the Iceland game like a poofster.

What would be the keeper rankings?

1. Lars

1. Sutton

3. Kenny

4. Wagenaar

5. Begovic

6 and up in no particular order: Giacomi, Serdg(sp), Rayner ect.

I haven't put Onstad in because he is not a regular choice except in extreem circustances, as well I can't figure where to put him. In the current situation Onstad may be called, but it would be counter productive to have him now as the idea is to see who fits in where for the WC qualifing and he is not part of that process. Begovic does fit in that process, maybe not at the start of qualifing, but likely by the end. In any event, his circumstances are not all that different than Lars' at the time he got the starters slot at the 2002 gold cup. He was a back up, playing in Germany IIRC, after the showing in the 2002 GC he signed in England, was loaned out to the lower divisions and no one had any great difficulty with the concept of his being our #1, others may have thought that someone else should be #1 but no one disqualified Lars because of his youth or inexperience.

This is a round about way of saying that I think it's OK if Begovic starts, although it looks a bit odd going to a friendly with your #5 and #6+ keepers but if #'s 1, 2 & 4 are injured and #3 is unavailable what are you going to do?

Well, the question is wheter Onstad is interested or not to battle for a starting spot for 2008. You're assuming he isn't, but if he is it make a lot more sense to call him. If he isn't interested, don't call him and you're better starting Begovic.

But since the GC we don't know what are Onstad intention and more importantly Mitchell intention toward Onstad (because I don't think Onstad can start the whole process and is he interested to be a back up?).

IMO, the ranking looks like this:

1 Lars or Onstad (but both are uncertain case, I need to see Lars answering a few call before I,m confident he's commited as a starter or a back up if someone is better than him).

3 Stama

4 Wagenaar (that's a personnal choice because I believe he's better than Sutton from what I,ve seen from him in his little time in the dutch eredivisie and against Hungary).

5 Sutton (not confident at all to go in WCQ with this keeper)

6 Begovic

In the end, the most important thing is for our coach to identify a starter (same for pretty much every position) before Christmas and try to have 5-6 games before WCQ start.

quote:Originally posted by wildguy27

It is laughable any of you rank Lars as #1. Lars has not played a real game for Canada since March of 2005. Someone who never plays for you is #1, and you people think I am the one with the strange thought process, LOL!

You mean March 2007, you dumbass.

Stop trolling our forum with your garbage.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Not that I am aware of. Soccercentral on Saturday still had him as part of the roster.

With Kenny now across the pond (from Europe) and Wagenaar injured (I think) there really are no reasonable Euro-based options any more. I don't see anything wrong with bringing a single keeper.

3 players added:

Onstad

Edgar

Dodds

3 players out

Atiba

Lars

Rob Friend

Men's National Team

Monday, August 20, 2007

Three players added to senior camp in Iceland

Canada’s men’s national team has brought in three new players for their international friendly with Iceland on 22 August. The three new players - Pat Onstad, David Edgar and Rhian Dodds - are replacing injured players that will not make the trip to Reykjavik.

Goaltender Lars Hirschfeld (thumb), midfielder Atiba Hutchinson (sick) and forward Rob Friend (back) are all unavailable for the 22 August match, Canada’s first since the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States.

Goaltender Pat Onstad joins the Canadian team from Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo. The 39-year old Onstad played four games at the recent CONCACAF Gold Cup, helping Canada reach the semi-final. Onstad has 50 career caps with the senior team, third all-time amongst goaltenders.

Dodds joins the Canadian team from Scottish side Kilmarnock F.C. Dodds has yet to win his first cap with the senior team, although he was part of the men’s team at the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Edgar, at last, joins the Canadian team from Newcastle United in the English Premier League. The 20-year old defender, who was Canada’s 2006 Youth Player of the Year, is taking part in his first senior camp.

The 22 August friendly against Iceland will be coach Dale Mitchell’s first match with the senior side. With the exception of Onstad, all of the players come from European-based clubs. Canada’s next game - and Mitchell’s first on home soil - is 12 September in Toronto at BMO Field against CONCACAF rival Costa Rica.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

You mean March 2007, you dumbass.

Stop trolling our forum with your garbage.

A game against Bermuda does not exactly constitute a real game. So the last time Lars has played a real game for the Canadian mens soccer team, which as I predicted way back then has excluded him altogether ever since early 2005, was March 2005 like I said. However even if one generously considers the Bermuda game as a real game here are the facts. Since March 2005:

Sutton - friendlies/events (Gold Cup I count as 1 event/game) started for Canada - 6. friendlies/events there as atleast backup for Canada - 10

Stamatopoulos - friendlies started for Canada - 4. friendlies as atleast backup for Canada - 7

Hirschfeld - friendlies/events started for Canada - 1. friendlies/

events as atleast backup for Canada - 1

Hmmm, so who does the CSA prefer to have use as their choice goalkeepers. End of story.

So your friend withdrew himself again. There's no conspiracy. And don't spew this crap about him doing it because of the conspiracy only you are able to see through your wacko-tinted glasses.

He keeps withdrawing or refusing the calls-he should expect to be down the pecking order. Someone who does not, can not, or will not play for this country when called upon deserves no special treatment.

/clown

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

So your friend withdrew himself again. There's no conspiracy. And don't spew this crap about him doing it because of the conspiracy only you are able to see through your wacko-tinted glasses.

He keeps withdrawing or refusing the calls-he should expect to be down the pecking order. Someone who does not, can not, or will not play for this country when called upon deserves no special treatment.

/clown

Perhaps you would like to explain then how Stamatopoulos, who quite obviously is not even good enough to start on a weak team in the same league Lars currently starts for one of the powerhouse teams, is the much superior goalkeeper. After all if you are backing the CSAs choice to have Stamatopoulos at 4 games as their starter, and 7 games as their starter or backup, as opposed to 1 game as their starter and 1 game as their backup for Lars, you must think he is the far superior goalkeeper. That would be the only way to agree with the CSA in having Stamatopoulous out there for him so much more often.

Or even how is Sutton, who is struggling to play in the MLS league, and has never been in some of the calibre leagues in Europe Lars has been in, is the far superior goalkeeper. After all you seem to be dismissing the CSA is wrong to have Sutton at 6 game/events as their starter, and 10 as their starter or backup, compared to 1 at their starter and no others period for Lars. So you must think he is the far superior goalkeeper as well.

Strangely you have never once explained while agreeing with the CSA much more frequent usage of Stamatopoulos and Sutton how they are the far superior goalkeepers.

Sorry to inform you but the clown is not the person who wins a bet for $200 at the end of 2008 since he is the one who correctly called Lars exclusion from the MNT in favor of inferior individuals long ago.

Well presumably this means that Onstad will start (or else why fly him over if he's to sit on the bench) but I hope Begovic is given some playing time. Have to wonder if Dale tried to get Stamatopoulos out of Toronto, or is deciding to wait on having to talk to Mo player call-ups.

With Atiba out, presumably Bernier will move into a more central midfield role with Issey & Radzinski on the wings & Imhof behind all of them, Dodds available as a sub for one of the winger spots.

quote:Originally posted by wildguy27

Perhaps you would like to explain then how Stamatopoulos, who quite obviously is not even good enough to start on a weak team in the same league Lars currently starts for one of the powerhouse teams, is the much superior goalkeeper. After all if you are backing the CSAs choice to have Stamatopoulos at 4 games as their starter, and 7 games as their starter or backup, as opposed to 1 game as their starter and 1 game as their backup for Lars, you must think he is the far superior goalkeeper. That would be the only way to agree with the CSA in having Stamatopoulous out there for him so much more often.

Or even how is Sutton, who is struggling to play in the MLS league, and has never been in some of the calibre leagues in Europe Lars has been in, is the far superior goalkeeper. After all you seem to be dismissing the CSA is wrong to have Sutton at 6 game/events as their starter, and 10 as their starter or backup, compared to 1 at their starter and no others period for Lars. So you must think he is the far superior goalkeeper as well.

Strangely you have never once explained while agreeing with the CSA much more frequent usage of Stamatopoulos and Sutton how they are the far superior goalkeepers.

Sorry to inform you but the clown is not the person who wins a bet for $200 at the end of 2008 since he is the one who correctly called Lars exclusion from the MNT in favor of inferior individuals long ago.

This is what happens when pregnant women do drugs.

Seriously, why do we need to be subjected to this crap in every thread about Canada's roster? Do the moderators think this one-track garbage is amusing or something?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well presumably this means that Onstad will start (or else why fly him over if he's to sit on the bench) but I hope Begovic is given some playing time. Have to wonder if Dale tried to get Stamatopoulos out of Toronto, or is deciding to wait on having to talk to Mo player call-ups.

With Atiba out, presumably Bernier will move into a more central midfield role with Issey & Radzinski on the wings & Imhof behind all of them, Dodds available as a sub for one of the winger spots.

I'm glad to see Onstad will be there (I'm assuming he'll start), that will help our back 4. It seems to me that Onstad is still in the mix to be part of the 2008 WCQ.

I hope Dodds will finally see some action.

Too bad for Atiba but our central midfield is still pretty decent with Bernier, Imhoff and DeGuzman.

Archived