Roster for Iceland announced

loyola

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Call up Onstad. He never said no, always tries his best, offers no excuses.

Or do we gamble and leave at least a half to Begovic? This is, after all, a friendly.

If I'm Onstad, I'm saying yes as long as I play the whole game.

Guest Can. in UK

I say call up Rayner and give the start to Begovic. Why not give him a shot?

You know what you're going to get from Onstad so what's the point in calling him for a friendly?

It's more a reflection on the health of our keepers more than the lack of depth:

Hirsch, Sutton and Wagenaar are all injured. And we still have Onstad and Stama who are better options than Begovic. Playing our 6th keepers isn't something I really like 8 months away from the beginning of WCQ. I would prefer seeing a keeper who has a chance of starting in WCQ (Stama or Onstad) instead of Begovic.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

I say call up Rayner and give the start to Begovic. Why not give him a shot?

You know what you're going to get from Onstad so what's the point in calling him for a friendly?

I agree with this. It is just a friendly and the most important objective is for the other 10 guys in front of him to play together.

If only Fernandes was still available...

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I agree with this. It is just a friendly and the most important objective is for the other 10 guys in front of him to play together.

That's where I disagree. It's about the 11 players on the field, this is not hockey where a goalie is only there to stop the puck and put on a show. GK and defense need to work together to make the defense as solid as they can and it takes time (and we don't have much of this before our first WCQ game). GK communication with his defense is crucial in a lot of plays during a game and the better they know each other the better it is for us (just like every other position on the field).

That's why I'm all for bringing Stama or Onstad, because they have more chances to play during WCQ than Begovic.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I figured someone would come back with that argument.

I understand the need for keepers to become familiar with their backline, but you are already without your two first-choice keepers, why not play a kid coming up and back him up with someone capable and nearby? I think it makes a helluva lot more sense to give Begovic a game here than to fly Onstad out after a 7:00pm (9:00pm EST) game on Sunday. And as for Stamatopoulous, for all the encouraging words so far, he's really only played one good game for TFC after toiling on the bench for Tromso for half a season (maybe more). Why pull him away from that, after only being there for a couple weeks, to act as an emergency fill-in?

Yes, familiarity is important for everybody, but you're already behind the eight ball with regards to keepers.

I really don't see a problem with flying Onstad on Sunday with a night flight for a game in Iceland. He'll be all right. To me, that make more sense than starting an unproven keeper when we need to prepare adequately for 2008.

Agree about Stama situation, but I would rather have him than Begovic but I know that won't happen. Onstad is a different story, I wouldn't be surprise with him accepting the call if ask.

Let just remember that at this point I'm pretty sure Mitchell doesn't know who are his #1,2 and 3 keepers and starting Begovic won't really help in this case.

I guess it all depends on how you personally rank each keeper. For me Begovic falls somewhere ahead of Onstad. No disrespect to Onstad, I've defended him a couple times around here, but he's fallen down the depth chart for me for 2008 let alone the big dance in 2010.

Let just remember that at this point I'm pretty sure Mitchell doesn't know who are his #1,2 and 3 keepers and starting Begovic won't really help in this case.

If that's really the case then I'll be terrifically disappointed in Mitchell (moreso than I already am). The only silver lining that came out of the entire hiring fiasco was that Hart would be there to fill Mitchell in on what's transpired since last summer so that he didn't have to start at ground level with respect to evaluating talent.

Guest Jeffery S.

That's a joke? right?

Who's going to replace him? Rayner?

This Lars stuff is too weird, I am trying to post this without reading any other posts as I just can't bear to hear what the betting odds on the cheese slicer were from wildguy.

The sub keeper for Zubizareta at Barça, Carles Busquets, once missed a chance at a rare start when, according to reports, he was ironing in the kitchen, dropped the iron, and like a good keeper caught it, burning his hands. Any other good dumb off the pitch injuries out there?

By the way, since he was with the nats in Florida at the January camp and is a sub now -so it seems- and can easily fly with the official delegation from Toronto, Srdjan Djekanovic. Go Serge, still has the best record and GAA of any TFC keeper. Open thine eyes, guys!

Let's talk about 2008 first, 2010 is a long shot and you'll see a lot of change between qualifications and the actual tournament(I wouldn't expect Onstad to be around in 2010 as a starter, maybe as a back up?). With his display during this year GC I think Onstad could be there in 2008 (anyone who's watch a little bit of MLS knows Onstad is a better keeper than Sutton, so if needed I don't have a problem with starting Onstad). I'm assuming Pat is still interested in playing with the MNT.

My point about Mitchell not knowing his #1, 2 and 3 is that maybe he knows who are his top 2 or 3 keepers but doesn't know who's the starter, the back up and the third. Of course Hart was there for the transition but he started every keepers in our pool (Onstad, Stama, Sutton, Hirsch and Wagenaar) and if you ask me who's the Canadian #1 based on our past year selection I'll tell you, I have no idea. I would even tell you that Onstad by playing well and in 4 games is the one who started the most game under Hart followed by Sutton (3), Hirsch/Wags/Stama with each one. My point is that it must be pretty hard for Mitchell to identify is real #1 based on recent selections.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

This Lars stuff is too weird, I am trying to post this without reading any other posts as I just can't bear to hear what the betting odds on the cheese slicer were from wildguy.

The sub keeper for Zubizareta at Barça, Carles Busquets, once missed a chance at a rare start when, according to reports, he was ironing in the kitchen, dropped the iron, and like a good keeper caught it, burning his hands. Any other good dumb off the pitch injuries out there?

Didn't Canizares had a similar injury before Korea/Japan 2002 when he dropped an aftershave bottle on his foot? I think he was the projected starter for Spain?

Guest Jeffery S.

Didn't Canizares had a similar injury before Korea/Japan 2002 when he dropped an aftershave bottle on his foot? I think he was the projected starter for Spain?

Right, some sort of glass flask in the bathroom. I am not sure he would have started but he was in there with Casillas.

Something rather sickening about Cañizares is that he went to the Spain call-up anyways as a form of mutual moral support, but meanwhile his wife had had a child and he did not even go back to see it. Anyways that is what I remember, he did not see his wife or his newborn because he was in solidarity with the national team players though injured and unable to play. Disgusting human behaviour if true.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Oh my gosh, I can not believe what happened to Lars Hirshfeld. I don't think I've ever laughed harder, seeing that I had just finished reading wildboy26's thread for the first time.

At least no one can blame the CSA for this - the cheese slicer was a norwegian invention (the norwegian papers are having a little giggle about that - will he now switch to pre-sliced cheese?) and I'm not sure you can get one in this country that was not manufactured here...

Archived