Canadian on Hermann Trophy watch list

Andrew W

It seems 22-year-old Canadian Dejan Jakovic, who attends Alabama Birmingham, has been named to the rather long Hermann Trophy watch list. For those who don't know, the Hermann Trophy is NCAA soccer's equivalent of the Heisman Trophy; awarded annually to the top player as selected by members of the NSCAA.

As well, UAB has been a real haven for Canadian players over the years and currently includes former U20 MNT member Carlo Schiavoni. With Toronto in MLS, Jakovic may be a player to remember come MLS superdraft time.

Here's the article from the UAB site.

Jakovic article

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

It seems 22-year-old Canadian Dejan Jakovic, who attends Alabama Birmingham, has been named to the rather long Hermann Trophy watch list. For those who don't know, the Hermann Trophy is NCAA soccer's equivalent of the Heisman Trophy; awarded annually to the top player as selected by members of the NSCAA.

As well, UAB has been a real haven for Canadian players over the years and currently includes former U20 MNT member Carlo Schiavoni. With Toronto in MLS, Jakovic may be a player to remember come MLS superdraft time.

Here's the article from the UAB site.

Jakovic article

Wow. My roommates friend is Zoran Jakovic, Dan's uncle. He's been raving about his nephew for years since i've known him. I wasn't sure how good he was cuz Zoran has a habit of exagerrating (ie. he should be playing for the Canadian MNT as a mid or forward).

Background: the family left Serbia due to the war (Zoran stayed and served as a Canine Unit trainer during the war before coming to Canada) back in the 90's and Dan went back like 3-4 summers ago to train with Red Star Belgrade before heading off to UAB. He's a former striker converted to a Defender (and holding mid) at UAB, but Zoran thinks his skill set is wasted playing in those roles.

Note: I was under the impression Jakovic was an 86, which makes him 21yrs old. But i could be wrong...i was wrong, shows him as an 85.

Also it looks like he was switched back to an attacking position late last season. Good!

Archived