Canadians abroad: August 11-16, 2007

DJT

Ipswich lost 5-3 on penalties to MK Dons in League Cup play. MK went up 2-0, before Ipswich tied it. Town then drew the lead, 3-2, in extra time before De Vos caused a penalty with 10 seconds to go. MK scored on it and proceeded to win the shootout, as mentioned above. De Vos scored on one of Ipswich's penalties. Don't think Peters dressed.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Stalteri is subbed out in the 67th minute for an attacking wide midfield player in Wayne Routledge, as his side is down 3-1 & needs more offense. The team is injury riddled but generally looking awful from what I've seen in this game.

Just saw the match on tape. Spurs were (rightly) booed off the pitch. As well, Stalteri looked like he was lacking in both comfort and confidence out there; when he was replaced by Routledge, Zokora was moved from midfield to his left back position.

Just one more thing to add. Jermaine Jenas: what a load of rubbish!

Guest Can. in UK

Carling Cup - last night:

Dunfield played 90 for Macclesfield last night - they lost to Leeds.

Begovic didn't play for Bournemouth - who lost to West Brom. Apparently Portsmouth requested he didn't play so that he didn't become cup-tied.

Hume played 78 minutes in Leicester's win over Accrington Stanley.

No Pesch for Luton. No Smith for Dagenham & Redbridge.

Simeon Jackson played the last 20 minutes in R&D's win over Farsley Celtic in Conference play.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

DeRo has scored in the 4th minute for Dynamo in their Superliga clash with Pachuca. Goal can only be described as "bizarre" but they all count. Onstad starting as well.

Yes it was a strange goal by DeRo. He got a perfect pass in the box but miss hit it and it bounces up and hits him in the face and loops over the Mexican keeper who was diving to save the anticipated shot. Pachua won the game on penalties after a 2-2 result in extra time. DeRo was subbed in minute 79 so he did not participate in the penalties. Houston did pretty good considering they were a man down for most of the game and Pachua is both the Mexican and CONCACAF champions. Unfortunately Onstad was less than stellar and probably should have had both Mexican goals though he did manage to save one of the penalties.

I didn't see the first Pachuca goal but I didn't think Onstad had much chance on the second one. At most I might put that down as a goal that he might have had, rather than "should" have had.

But the game was lost on the Houston player getting red-carded in the 12th minute, and then the 5th Houston pk shooter Ngwyenyu taking the worst penalty I have ever seen. I haven't seen the Houston boards yet, but I suspect their fans probably want to kill that guy right now.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I didn't see the first Pachuca goal but I didn't think Onstad had much chance on the second one. At most I might put that down as a goal that he might have had, rather than "should" have had.

But the game was lost on the Houston player getting red-carded in the 12th minute, and then the 5th Houston pk shooter Ngwyenyu taking the worst penalty I have ever seen. I haven't seen the Houston boards yet, but I suspect their fans probably want to kill that guy right now.

Yep the last PK from Houston was atrocious and Joseph Ngwenya looked like he wanted to crawl under the dirt and hide after Pachuca scored on the next PK to win it.

I thought Houston would have won it despite going down to 10 men early in the game. They were looking stronger than Pachuca in extra time but the substitute Ashe, only player with speed (and fresh legs), took a red card for retaliation in the first period of extra time, pinning Houston back to defend with 9 men.

This game, along with the 2 leg CONCACAF Champions final between the two clubs last spring (2-0 Houston win at home, 5-2 Pachuca win at home - 5-4 agg for the Mexican club), showed that the MLS champs and Mexican champs are pretty much on par and was very entertaining.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Lars will start tonight as Rosenborg attempt to get back to the Champions League group stage in their final qualifiying round game away to Finnish Tampere. Match starts at 6pm CET., live tracking (in Norwegian) at http://live.tv2.no/

If anyone is interested the match is being streamed at:

http://www.euchannels.net/web/ramme.htm

Click on the "Norway" tab in the left hand column. Then select "TV2".

Unfortunately you need a username and password that is only provided if you register with Bingoliner and make a $50 deposit. The is in the upper left side or the link i put below:

http://www.bingoliner.com/default_current.asp

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

If anyone is interested the match is being streamed at:

http://www.euchannels.net/web/ramme.htm

Unfortunately you need a username and password that is only provided if you register with Bingoliner and make a $50 deposit. Link below:

http://www.bingoliner.com/default_current.asp

Also, Mac and Linux not supported. *sigh*

new European season, new Canadians Abroad feature.

http://www.americansoccernews.net/mls/toronto/over_there/canada_overthere_index.shtml

Had a bit of a delay getting it up due to site maintenance -- Stalteri's role in Tuesday's Spurs game and Atiba's goal against Benfica will be covered in next week's edition. As per last season, I'm indebted to you guys for many of the updates, most of which I used to scour the net for in-depth game info. Thanks to all the posters.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Tam Nsaliwa starting for AEK away to Sevilla in Champions, off to watch, should be interesting.

Well the first half was fun, nice to be able to cheer against Sevilla who I want out anyways.

Tam is playing the right side midfield, in what at times looks like a 4-2-3-1, at times a 4-1-4-1. He goes forwards well and combines with Rivaldo, who is more the playmaker, but is not afraid to follow the play all the way forward, had one dribble at the right side of the box with three players on him, almost got free. But he also gets back and gets into the mix, holding in front of the defence, fouling. I interpret the tactic as an away tactic more defensive, where you have one striker and the mids have to choose to go in support of him when they can, as they want to at least try for that away goal. And it is not always Rivaldo who is filling that second striker position, though he is shooting from far out.

Have to say he is rather similar to Julian, his short passing game is not as sharp, but his dribbling is good and his conditioning too. Goes up and down, makes intelligent choices, and here I thought he moved well off the ball. Jumps well, even against taller players. Have not seen his long ball yet. Amazing how Canada is starting to get some real talent in midfield, on the basis of this so far I'd say he is really does give us very strong depth, even the Spanish announcers are showing respect for his play.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Well the first half was fun, nice to be able to cheer against Sevilla who I want out anyways.

Tam is playing the right side midfield, in what at times looks like a 4-2-3-1, at times a 4-1-4-1. He goes forwards well and combines with Rivaldo, who is more the playmaker, but is not afraid to follow the play all the way forward, had one dribble at the right side of the box with three players on him, almost got free. But he also gets back and gets into the mix, holding in front of the defence, fouling. I interpret the tactic as an away tactic more defensive, where you have one striker and the mids have to choose to go in support of him when they can, as they want to at least try for that away goal. And it is not always Rivaldo who is filling that second striker position, though he is shooting from far out.

Have to say he is rather similar to Julian, his short passing game is not as sharp, but his dribbling is good and his conditioning too. Goes up and down, makes intelligent choices, and here I thought he moved well off the ball. Jumps well, even against taller players. Have not seen his long ball yet. Amazing how Canada is starting to get some real talent in midfield, on the basis of this so far I'd say he is really does give us very strong depth, even the Spanish announcers are showing respect for his play.

More quiet 2nd half for Tam as Sevilla got ahead, Rivaldo was pulled, Sevilla got a second (both off great plays by Navas down the right wing), and AEK did damage control. Nsaliwa was pulled back to support their right back holding Capel (who we saw with Spain in Canada, absolutely spectacular now as then), then was given the job directly as the back was subbed out. He had problems at times, since Capel was great, but the goals came from the wing on down the other side. Still, a good show.

AEK does not look to have the resources to score enough to get back into this 2nd leg.

Nice to see the Argentine centre back Fazio as well for Sevilla, another star in the u-20 tournament. They have some really talented youth.

Tam received a lot of excellent revues from AEK fans and the media. I didn't watch the game, but it is nice to hear that Tam played so well. It is likely over but AEK has had success at home in previous European competitions. Hopefully, Sevilla takes them lightly in the return leg.

Archived