Iceland - Canada Aug 22nd

redhat

Don't know who has been called but I would expect a mainly european based squad. Freind, Gerba, Hume and maybe Occean up front. DeGuzeman, Hutchinson, Bernier, Issey, Ledgerwood and maybe DeRo as the mids. McKenna, Stalteri, Klukowski, Hastings, Hainault and maybe Edgar at the back. Finally Lars and Wagonaar or Begovic as keeper. If not Lars then I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the call to Mo "I know we injured your No. 1 keeper so now we'd like to borrow the guy you replaced him with..."

I kow some guys are left out, but I think it'll be mainly first team guys and a few look sees.

I think DeGuzman and Hainault are confirmed, don't know about the other players.

If I was Mitchell I would call a similar squad to the one that went to the GC. Mitchell is already under pressure since the U-20 debacle and he must perform against Iceland and CR. Not really the time for new guys (that's why I don't expect to see Ledgerwood, DeJong or Edgar).

I would call a similar defense while adding Mckenna, Lars and maybe Kluka. I hope to see Nsaliwa called as well, he could replace Nash in midfield and we could have a midfield of DeGuzman, Nsaliwa, Hutchinson and Bernier. Upfront, I would bring Occean, Hume and Friend (Gerba had a good GC but doesn't seem to be playing with his club lately).

I figured that Iceland would be mainly euro based players, Costa Rica would be the North American based players (DeRo, Jazic, Harmse, Brennan, Reda, Braz, Pozniak and a keeper, maybe some Mtl and Van guys for a look) and a few top european guys. Unless they get a second game in early september then they bring more euro based guys into a bigger squad (twenty instead of sixteen). WCQ starts next May or August, the games this fall and next spring are to determine who that team will be composed of and later to familiarize them with one another. We don't want the manager to be picking the squad well into qualifing like last time.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

Is Toronto playing that day? it'd be nice to see brennan in the mix again.

Considering Brennan is playing with broken ribs, I would think there is little or no chance he will be flying to Iceland for a friendly.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Considering Brennan is playing with broken ribs, I would think there is little or no chance he will be flying to Iceland for a friendly.

Agreed. He's more likely for Costa Rica than the Iceland match.

quote:Originally posted by jesse

Iceland squad.

http://www.ksi.is/media/landslid/akarla/A_karla_Kanada_agust_2007_hopuri.doc

No Eidur Gudjohnsen.

GK Dadi Larusson (FH) 2app/0gls

GK Fjalar Thorgeirsson (Fylkir) 1/0

D Hermann Hreidarsson (Portsmouth,ENG) 70/5

D Johannes Karl (Joey) Gudjonsson (Burnley,ENG) 30/1

D Ivar Ingimarsson (Reading,ENG) 25/0

D Kristjan Orn Sigurdsson (SK Brann,NOR) 22/2

D Gretar Rafn Steinsson (AZ,HOL) 19/3

D Hjalmar Jonsson (1FK Goteborg,SWE) 14/0

D/M Brynjar Bjorn Gunnarsson (Reading,ENG) 61/4

M Kari Arnason (AGF Aarhus,DEN) 12/1

M Emil Halfredsson (Reggiana,ITA) 7/0

M Matthias Gudmundsson (FH) 3/0

M Baldur Adalsteinsson (Valur) 2/0

M David Thor Vidarsson (FH) 0/0

F Gunnar Heidar Thorvaldsson (Hannover 96,GER) 9/2

F Ragnar Sigurdsson (1FK Goteborg,SWE) 0/0

F Helgi Sigurdsson (Valur) 56/10

F Veigar Pall Gunnarsson (Stabaek IF,NOR) 17/2

A lot of missing names: Eidur Gudjohnsen (Barcelona, SPA), Arni Arason (Valerenga, NOR), Indridi Sigurdsson (Lyn, NOR), Gretar Rafn Steinsson (AZ Alkmaar, NED), Hannes Sigurdsson (Viking FK, NOR), Stefan Gislason (Lyn, NOR), Gunnar Thor Gunnarsson (Hammerby, SWE) and Olafur Orn Bjarnason (SK Brann, NOR).

Arason is usually the starting keeper. Gunnarsson is a regular at leftback and Steinsson, only 21, was getting time on the right. Gislason was getting some time in the midfield in Euro qualifying. Inridi Sigurdsson played in the back in their 1-0 loss to Spain and the 3-0 win over Northern Ireland.

It's a youngish team, but then they bring in 33-year-olds Helgi Sigurdsson and Hermann Hreidarsson and 31-year-old Brynjar Bjorn Gunnarsson.

I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about Icelandic soccer could explain a lot of this, but there are some questions.

A total half-arsed guess at a starting 11:

------------------Larusson

Steinsson---Ingimarsson--Hreidarsson---Jonsson

-----------------Gunnarson

---Gudjonsson------Arnason------Halfredsson

----------H. Sigurdsson----Thorvaldsson

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

Eidur is injured, he is still in the Barça squad and has not been named amongst those not wanted, though his chances will be minimal this year. But he has been injured for a few weeks.

I saw Iceland vs. Spain and thought they were rather uncreative, very direct, and weak striking. Nice to play there in the summer so they can't get any advantage from weather, should be a decent pitch, which will help us. We are more technical I think, funny to say.

Archived