Canada vs Brazil ?

Winnipeg Fury

Is Canada next for Brazil soccer team?

TORONTO (CP) - The boys from Brazil are coming to the U.S. to play. Is Canada also on the itinerary?

The Brazilian soccer confederation announced Tuesday that Brazil will play Mexico on Sept. 12 in Foxborough, Mass. And The Associated Press reported from Sao Paulo that the Brazilians may also face Canada at a location and a date still to be determined. Canada is hosting Costa Rica on Sept. 12 at Toronto's BMO Field and is looking for an opponent to play Sept. 8, which is also an international date.

Canadian coach Dale Mitchell said he had heard rumours of possible Brazil interest in playing Canada, but said such a match would be hard to nail down in short order because of complexities surrounding the Brazilian soccer machine.

Mitchell's first game at the helm of the national team will be an away match on Aug. 22 against Iceland at Reykjavik.

In other Brazilian news, Ronaldinho and Kaka will return to the fold for a friendly against Algeria at the end of the month in France.

Coach Dunga summoned the duo plus 20 others for the match on Aug. 22 in Montpellier.

Kaka and Ronaldinho skipped the Copa America won by Brazil last month to take vacation following the European season.

Brazil begins World Cup qualifying in October.

I, for one, would never object to any kind of friendly. But I think that CRC, Venezuela and Iceland are more of the kind of match ups that we need at this stage.

For me, the novelty of playing friendlies against the top heralded sides in the world ( ie.: Germany, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic)has kind of worn off. And that would include matches against Brazil. I see little value in playing an opponent who inevitably will force us to play a "sit back and contain" type of match. Better to play a side whereby our players will get sufficient number of touches on the ball.

Plus, its a lose lose situation for Canada when you play a side like Brazil; if we score an upset, the pundits will say that it was Brazil that didn't put their best step forward. Or, on the flip side, a side like Brazil can can really expose our flaws and for a national side like Canada, that needs to gain respect from the fans at home, thats not what we need. We are not trying to prove that we are better than Brazil in soccer and challenge for the Jules Rimet trophy, all we are looking for ist to qualify for the WC and to prove that we are better than CRC, Guatemala, and Honduras.

In the big picture, playing Brazil at this stage of Canada's development has as much value as playing Bermuda. But its still better than not playing at all.

I think its never bad for our side to test themselves against the best in the world. I think the Nats should take any chance to play the top teams in the world.

That said, I think the CSA shouldn't focus on big one off friendlies to prepare. If Brazil comes to us and its a good fit ok. But like Free Kick says, it'd be better to play 2 or 3 games against 2nd -3rd tier teams with similar quality to those we'll face in WCQ.

I agree that it never hurts to play the best once in awhile. Plus having Brazil Sept. 8 should pretty much guarantee all hands on deck for Costa Rica.

If nothing else the big names pretty much guarantee no one will have a tight hamstring for the international dates while not missing a club match.

cheers,

matthew

I think playing against brazil is a good thing for the same reason getting our players into Serie A, La Liga and EPL is, you will always improve the most by playing the best competition. I'd rather give up on the fifa rankings and lose to all the best teams then do well against decent teams, because we would be a much better team come qualifiers.

Of course we should play the big guns. What if we win? Could be the happiest moment of our lives as CMNT fans. If we get beaten badly it could put pressure on the CSA to get its act together when it's needed, before the qualifying process starts.

I think debating the quality of oppenents for friendlies pre WCQ is pointless. Unless we are lining up a match to go and play the Falkland Islands, I think the bottom line is that a game is a game, and we need as many as we can get, home matches no less.

I also think Montreal deserve somthing after the U20's.

The part everyone is forgetting is that the Brazil MNT is already planning to be in Boston. A game in Canada would be a money maker. Money is one of the key ingredients that our MNT is sorely lacking. Even television would pick that game up especially after the Gold Cup performance and the TV ratings at the U-20.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

I think playing against brazil is a good thing for the same reason getting our players into Serie A, La Liga and EPL is, you will always improve the most by playing the best competition.

I actually agree with that. But I still think that a test against this kind of opponent, is analogous to applying and pursuing a CEO job armed with just DEC from CEGEP. Sure, its better than sitting at home doing nothing though.. BUT.

Your example of Serie A, La Liga and EPL is one that I use back up my argument that Brazil is not the best opponent. Their players all excell at that level. Whereas, save for 2-3 of our players, we are a little bit away from from that calibre. Could the CSA not achieve the same by playing a side like Peru, for example.

I am not interested in seeing results like those scorelines that we had against the Czech republic a couple of years ago. Facing sides like Brazil, more os those kind of scorelines are possible and I dont think that helps grow the fan base.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

The part everyone is forgetting is that the Brazil MNT is already planning to be in Boston. A game in Canada would be a money maker. Money is one of the key ingredients that our MNT is sorely lacking. Even television would pick that game up especially after the Gold Cup performance and the TV ratings at the U-20.

Beat me to it.

What the Hell are we talking about? Brazil is in Boston, they're not going to want to jet off any further than they have to for a 2nd friendly. They've just played Mexico so who does that leave nice and close by? Us. So that being said I'm sure a most reasonable appearance fee can be arranged. Nice and close to Europe so you can expect many of the name players (for both sides) to show and viola! A unique marketing event.

Put it in the Big Owe (if you can) where the U20s left a positive impression, charge a premium and the CSA, win, lose or draw walks away richer with plenty of free exposure and hopefully positive marketing of the CSA brand.

Fingers and toes crossed. If Linford and Co. can pull this off that would be great. Don't know if it would be because they're strategic geniuses, benefiting from the U20s success or just lucky bastards. But whatever it is I got to get me some.

I am relatively new to following the Canadian MNT ... this game seems to make so much sense (U20 WC success, Brazil in Boston, open date for both) ...... is it the general concensus that the CSA is so disorganized and incompetant that they can't close the deal?

quote:Originally posted by valenciafc

I am relatively new to following the Canadian MNT ... this game seems to make so much sense (U20 WC success, Brazil in Boston, open date for both) ...... is it the general concensus that the CSA is so disorganized and incompetant that they can't close the deal?

Yes, the CSA is not that organized compared to many,

but it's not easy to "close the deal" regarding a team like

Brazil. You need guarantees, sponsorships, arrangements,

security; not to mention procuring the players from Europe

to play, as well as MLS. It may even be a problem if Brazil

doesn't want to play on field turf.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I, for one, would never object to any kind of friendly. But I think that CRC, Venezuela and Iceland are more of the kind of match ups that we need at this stage.

For me, the novelty of playing friendlies against the top heralded sides in the world ( ie.: Germany, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic)has kind of worn off. And that would include matches against Brazil. I see little value in playing an opponent who inevitably will force us to play a "sit back and contain" type of match. Better to play a side whereby our players will get sufficient number of touches on the ball.

Plus, its a lose lose situation for Canada when you play a side like Brazil; if we score an upset, the pundits will say that it was Brazil that didn't put their best step forward. Or, on the flip side, a side like Brazil can can really expose our flaws and for a national side like Canada, that needs to gain respect from the fans at home, thats not what we need. We are not trying to prove that we are better than Brazil in soccer and challenge for the Jules Rimet trophy, all we are looking for ist to qualify for the WC and to prove that we are better than CRC, Guatemala, and Honduras.

In the big picture, playing Brazil at this stage of Canada's development has as much value as playing Bermuda. But its still better than not playing at all.

That's like saying -- sleeping with Gisele Bundchen is a lose-lose situation. I would be just sitting there paralyzed in shock and could not get it up, and even if I did and did enjoy it, then people will say -- oh, she was just drunk anyway.

So, no thank's Ms. Bundchen, I have plans for my cousin Bjork...

quote:Originally posted by putkaputka

That's like saying -- sleeping with Gisele Bundchen is a lose-lose situation. I would be just sitting there paralyzed in shock and could not get it up, and even if I did and did enjoy it, then people will say -- oh, she was just drunk anyway.

Best analogy ever.

I think it would be a good thing. Good quality opponent, money coming in. If we lose 3 or 4-0, what difference will it make? If we win/keep it close, maybe we will inspire some of those half-Canadians to play for us.

Good One :D

gisele-bundchen-picture-1.jpg

Just thought it was an important visual aid, for the sake of truly understanding this discussion as well as Putkas analogy.

She is the Brazil friendly.

Sorry to go off topic but while Bundchen has a great body her face is not all that pretty. Look at this picture of her with her two much more beautiful Brazilian super model colleagues, Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio (Bundchen is on the right).

p1_victoria.jpg

Brazil too good for Canada? The last time the senior team played Brazil that I can remember was a tune-up for Brazil before winning the World Cup. The final was 1 - 1, and Brazil's goal was scored by the 2-metre offside Romario. Why is it important for our players to play in Europe instead of Ed's Pub FC? To play against the best to get the experience. This is the same thing.

Archived