who do you want as the DP??

Niagara Hammer

Luis Figo. At 34 he's still a good player. Would probably still be one of the best players in MLS. Toronto needs someone who can create opportunities. Someone who can get around a defender. Not just the same old long ball to the forwards.

I think that we need someone who can help the team at both ends of the pitch. TFC has allowed the most goals in the league. A good d-maid who can do it all ( eg.: veron) would be my choice. downside, that would hinder Edu ( who has done very well) somewhat.

Alternatively, a central defender who is very strong on the ball. also base this on the fact that a good d-man is key to any good buildup.

quote:Originally posted by putkaputka

good call on Okocha; I'd like to see JJ here.

I vote for getting Don Fabio for coach and Matterazi. He can be the new Vinnie Jones here

Or, getting Seedorf and winning the Champ League with him LOL.

Seedorf and materazi would not come , they are still playing in the best teams although it will be nice to see them play in tf... Age wise the player would be 32 + unless TF is willing to spend some real cash

^ ahah.

Quite seriously I'm of the view that we'd be better off speading out the 300k or so of the cap space designated for the DP rather than spending it on some player looking to make a few dollars in his sunset years. Huston & DCU seem to be doing alright without DP's.

Of the money that would have gone to the player but not against the cap, throw it at the youth program or to hire some quality scouts or something. It will pay way more dividends than getting an over the hill icon who takes the focus off the club.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

^ ahah.

Quite seriously I'm of the view that we'd be better off speading out the 300k or so of the cap space designated for the DP rather than spending it on some player looking to make a few dollars in his sunset years. Huston & DCU seem to be doing alright without DP's.

Of the money that would have gone to the player but not against the cap, throw it at the youth program or to hire some quality scouts or something. It will pay way more dividends than getting an over the hill icon who takes the focus off the club.

quite ture.. but these old players also bring money to the team. If toronto Fc had lets say a figo .. that could bring more interest in soccer ( tv, people , radio , internet) .. with interest comes money and with money you could built the youth program and have more people interested in being part of the toronto fc. They could easily built more seats and have more people coming to the games, etc

I would prefer to see TFC sign three quality internationals at 250K-500K each rather than 1 DP. We need a quality, experienced CB (look how effective Xavier has been for Galaxy...best player on that team on Sunday). We need a playmaking midfielder who will play right behind the strikers and which will also allow Mo Edu to move over to the right side (and move O'Brien out). We also need more striker depth.

they need to bid adieu to Colin Samuel (there is a reason he didn't score in Scotland) and likely Welsh (who is simply too small to play in this league).

I would prefer to see Mo cast his eyes south to Argentina/Brazil and try to find some 29-32 year olds who might be looking for a new opportunity. Toronto's latino community is growing rapidly so they would feel very at home in Toronto. We don't need more overpriced former EPL/SPL players. The South Americans can be had for less and are as good or better (last I checked, Argentina develops some decent players).

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I would rather have some top Canadian talent than fading stars.

not self respected top canadian talent would play for tf ( if he is alreayd playing in europe, not many choices anyways), new talent?? sure , but as we saw in the under 20 world cup , we have the best under 20 talent ( Lombardo!!!)... and the main point of bringing an old player like figo is that he can help the youngsters develop.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I would prefer to see TFC sign three quality internationals at 250K-500K each rather than 1 DP. We need a quality, experienced CB (look how effective Xavier has been for Galaxy...best player on that team on Sunday). We need a playmaking midfielder who will play right behind the strikers and which will also allow Mo Edu to move over to the right side (and move O'Brien out). We also need more striker depth.

they need to bid adieu to Colin Samuel (there is a reason he didn't score in Scotland) and likely Welsh (who is simply too small to play in this league).

I would prefer to see Mo cast his eyes south to Argentina/Brazil and try to find some 29-32 year olds who might be looking for a new opportunity. Toronto's latino community is growing rapidly so they would feel very at home in Toronto. We don't need more overpriced former EPL/SPL players. The South Americans can be had for less and are as good or better (last I checked, Argentina develops some decent players).

fully agree. I follow southamerican leagues and very good players can be found for 150 K easily.

I do not know what the ins and outs are to the DP process. However, what if we even designated the 2 highest paid current players as DP’s. Thereby freeing up a 4 or 500k against the cap and paying a few more players in the 75 k range for added depth. Something everybody here has agreed that Toronto needs, more depth.

Pros to a new DP.

Increased interest. More TV Revenue. How long is the current TV Contract?

Mentors to the young and up and coming.(Big Plus).

If you get them involved in the Youth Academy (yet to start) in would lend credibility.

A player outside the cap will add depth to the team because you can pay the others more.

Cons

Aging players may be injury prone or at least take longer to recover (anybody on this board over 30 can relate)

They may not bring the talent you are paying for.

quote:Originally posted by Niagara Hammer

I do not know what the ins and outs are to the DP process. However, what if we even designated the 2 highest paid current players as DP’s. Thereby freeing up a 4 or 500k against the cap and paying a few more players in the 75 k range for added depth. Something everybody here has agreed that Toronto needs, more depth.

Pros to a new DP.

Increased interest. More TV Revenue. How long is the current TV Contract?

Mentors to the young and up and coming.(Big Plus).

If you get them involved in the Youth Academy (yet to start) in would lend credibility.

A player outside the cap will add depth to the team because you can pay the others more.

Cons

Aging players may be injury prone or at least take longer to recover (anybody on this board over 30 can relate)

They may not bring the talent you are paying for.

DPs count for $400k against the cap. It's the excess that doesn't count.

I feel Mo brings the UK trash because this is within comfort level and can expect a certain level of respect from the players.

Bringing in a bona fide DP in the dressing room that has never even heard of Mo might not be the best for the team. I dont think Mo can handle it.

quote:Originally posted by putkaputka

I feel Mo brings the UK trash because this is within comfort level and can expect a certain level of respect from the players.

Bringing in a bona fide DP in the dressing room that has never even heard of Mo might not be the best for the team. I dont think Mo can handle it.

I thought so too.

Jonathan de Guzman.

Seriously, it would be nice to see a player with some upside. Everybody will say no young prospect will come to MLS. Until one actually does.

Even if it were just a loan, or a buy back kind of deal, a kid like Capel or Leandro Lima would be way more exciting than Figo.

If we have to assume the guy is a bit older, I'd go with Robbie Keane. I think he's the same age as Angel and has a similar wage bill.

I don't really like the use of DP in new teams. TFC really needs to establish itself as a "team" into which good players are welcomed. I think players like Dichio (who is not a DP) are special for reasons that help to built the team from the inside-out. And at his age, and with his interests, the development of young players makes for a very good match both on and off the field. That tends to be very difficult to pull off for the megastar types.

However ... principles aside ... heh ...

Robbie Savage.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Jonathan de Guzman.

Seriously, it would be nice to see a player with some upside. Everybody will say no young prospect will come to MLS. Until one actually does.

Even if it were just a loan, or a buy back kind of deal, a kid like Capel or Leandro Lima would be way more exciting than Figo.

If we have to assume the guy is a bit older, I'd go with Robbie Keane. I think he's the same age as Angel and has a similar wage bill.

Robbie Keane is almost 5 years younger than Angel. Angel turns 32 in October while Keane just turned 27 (on July 8th).

Archived