Question for Villarreal/la liga fans

mcaout

I'm a Newcastle United fan and the club has just signed Jose Enrique Sanchez Diaz from Villarreal for 6mn pounds +. Now that's a considerable sum for a left back, who is about 20 or 21 years old. I am wondering if this fella is any good. The Nufc.com site has not said much about his ability past exploits beyond his presence in the U 21 Spainish squad. I worry abit about Iberian players coming up to NUFC. There's been a few recent examples of big money moves without it working out: Marcelino, Hugo Viana, and most recently Luque. Is Enrique going to work out???

Here's a link to NUFC.com

http://www.nufc.com/

Thanks

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by mcaout

I'm a Newcastle United fan and the club has just signed Jose Enrique Sanchez Diaz from Villarreal for 6mn pounds +. Now that's a considerable sum for a left back, who is about 20 or 21 years old. I am wondering if this fella is any good. The Nufc.com site has not said much about his ability past exploits beyond his presence in the U 21 Spainish squad. I worry abit about Iberian players coming up to NUFC. There's been a few recent examples of big money moves without it working out: Marcelino, Hugo Viana, and most recently Luque. Is Enrique going to work out???

Here's a link to NUFC.com

http://www.nufc.com/

Thanks

I really don't know enough about him to give you a decent report on him.

By the way, neither Marcelino or Viana are Spanish, while it looks like Luque may be finally getting into the groove, about time, eh.

In any case, in England teams are overpaying for both national and foreign players, and this is seriously distorting the market elsewhere. When almost half EPL is foreign owned and the pressure is to keep the pockets deep that is what happens. I agree that the sum paid is too high, for me about a third of that would be about right, as not even the best players on the Spain u-20 team would be worth more than 3 mm pounds (except maybe Pique, who is going to be the real star).

Thanks Jeffery S,

Sort of what I was expecting, a big money move for a youth player. Considering Leighton Baines a young player who's started in the EPL went to Everton for a reported 5Mn pounds, it makes it even more uncertain. I would say that people who watch the EPL or Eng soccer would know all about young full backs like Baines, or Micha Richards. How much would Micha Richards be worth this summer? 7,8,10Mn Pounds? So when you've not got much on this young Enrique cat, it's a little unsettling.

quote:By the way, neither Marcelino or Viana are Spanish,

Ya I guess I wasn't clear in my post, I know Viana's Portuguese and actually a good player, just not cut out for EPL apparently. The Marcelino I'm taking about is now retired, here's the link to his Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Marcelino

Here's hoping Luque keeps up his pre-season form. I think it'll be tough to break into the front two though, perhaps he'll get a run on the left with Duff hurt. I think most folks, probably Luque included, would be happy to see him head back to Spain in the Winter on a minimal fee. I'd like to be wrong though.

Archived